Dilemma about my cats

Jen79

Reaction score
Hi :wave:

I really dont know what to do about my cats. I have had them 4 years and got them off a woman when they were 2 because she didnt want them anymore. The problem is that they have been a bit put out since I had my dd 15 months ago. We moved in July and I think they dont like where we live either as it isnt near fields etc like our last house was.

They have taking to weeing all over the house and the final straw was this morning when I was checking the suitcase we had packed to go to my in laws for the week, only to discover they had pissed all over my clothes! My hubby is totally sick and said its the final straw. I dont know what to do! He says they have got to go and part of me agrees as I dont seem to get much pleasure out of them and they are obviously not happy here now but the thing is,I would feel guilty sending them to live with someone else.

Sorry its long but I would really appreciate anyones opinions?

They are a tad p*ssed off, lack of interest in them.

Babies can make a cat jealous, due to all the attention going to the child, rather than the cat. Also, baby poo smells oddly like cat poo, at times, this can confuse a cat when it comes to territory, the cats are confused with that.

Also, cats go by the tone of your voice, to what your moods are, if you're shouting at the cat all the time, it can make them upset.

But it just sounds like your cats are pee'd off and trying to get their own back. have you tried giving them a bit of their own space? Maybe a part of the room the baby doesn't go too, make it comfy, cat bed, toys, a little hide-a-away for them? Even in a garage or a shed, sounds like they need their own space.

Cats will never forget their wild intentions, so they should love the fields, they just seem to be a little pee'd off, for now. New home, baby, lack of attention, it can all be a little too much for them.

Cats do need their own space and they thrive on attention! when my kids are in bed I have moggy time and I have three of them! we have had problems with gizmo recently, hes only 4 months old and was acting up because of lack of attention and was doing lots of naughty things!but with some attention and shutting off certain areas in the house hes getting back to normal again.

But my cats are out alot as well as we live in a remote village.

Here's a good link, with advice.

http://www.moggies.co.uk/articles/soiling.html

Hope it helps a bit. Don't give up on your Cat's, they are just stressed and trying to tell you by marking your personal items they are making a cry for help. Don't shout and tell them off, be kind and give them lot's of cuddles. Reasure them that they are loved and secure. Don't clean away their mess with strong smelling detergent as it will be so alien to them they will be tempted to cover up the smell with their own scent again. I'm sure they will adapt to their new home. I think the issue is their sense of security with you and your family and knowing they are loved. All of the changes has made them insecure. Try giving them some extra attention for a while during this period of adjustment. They are not trying to get you back, but rather trying to get your attention. Cats can be total babies, but this is a resolvable problem. I hope things work out, you must be finding it very upsetting and it is no reflection on you. :hug:

Others have given good advice. I think often cats find themselves overlooked when a baby comes along and are sensitive to change, so perhaps try a few things before rehoming them.

I'd suggest if you are going to rehome them you hand them over to the RSPCA or Cats Protection League as they will ensure the cats go to decent homes and will do their best to find something rural for them if thats what they prefer. Also a place with no children etc might suit them better. Rescue centres do try to place animals in environments and with people who are going to suit them.

I personally don't go much for owners themselves trying to rehome pets. If its given to a friend something might happen and the animal is unhappy or rehomed again etc and I think its better off not knowing and letting professionals assess a home and so on. Having a clean break is good IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back