diabetes test

laura dec 1988

Reaction score
Hey girls, :)

just need a bit of advice on this test im havin on monday for diabetes:roll:

The doc says im at a very high risk of it, more so because of the size of my baby (shes was measuring 3 weeks ahead on my growth scan:shock:, and im measuring 34 weeks pregnant):shock:

Has anyone had any history of this or just general advice please??:lol:

xx

No advice hun I just didnt want to read and run. I wouldnt worry too much. At least they are checking everything :)

Thanks hun. I just feel a bit in the dark as they said "we will test you , then discuss it" so i dunno wot to expect. Iv read up on it quite a bit though.

Ill let you all know mon

xx

The test itself is nothing to worry about - they give you a very sugary drink (mine was vile - a huge tub of lemon powder dissolved in water :lol: but apparently some places give you lucozade) in the morning after fasting for several hours (usually from midnight if the test is first thing) and measure your blood sugar levels 2 hours later. I was tested because my grandmother was diabetic but it came back negative. If it's positive it can either be controlled by diet or insulin but I'm sure they'll be able to give you more information on Monday. Fingers crossed for you x

Yeah I'm having the test as well bacause my bmi is 30! They just need to know because babe can grow very large if mum has gestational diabeties ie over 10lb! And with a babe that size or bigger they need to asses early delivery or c section or if the mum is of a biggish frame and can have a natural delivery. They will give you growth scans to asses babes weight if found to have it and keep a closer eye on you, always better to be safe than sorry, but i don't think its anything to worry about at least they are covering all bases.

hello girls,

I had the test done this mornin and yes the sugary drink was RANK!! It was like yellow tar and took some right gettin down....yuk lol

Had a bit of a carry on in the hosp as the nurses and mw always find it hard to get a good vein, so the first ones were fine, The second ones were horrendous!! She just kept sticking the needle in my arm saying "oooo i thought i had a good one then" in the end i got pissed off and sed to her "if there is no vein can u not put the needle in i feel ill"

After anouther 2 attempts....suprise suprise....i pass out!! LOVELY eh! The doc came in the end and took blood from my foot which actually hurt!

So if its posotive i get a fone call in the mornin if its not i get a letter to confirm so fingers crossed eh. Next growth scan on the 9th of April. Got re-measured too im stiill measuring 34 weeks, so not had no crazy growth spirts haha

hope ur all well
xxx

why can they never find a vein!! i was bruised for weeks when i had my routine bloods done. Blood from your foot.....ouch!

i know its a pain in bloody bum....i thought i was gunna be sick, and been prodded over and over again with the needle is not good

xx

oh poor you, I empathise with them not being able to find a vein, since being pregnant my veins have gone into hiding too! Hope the results comes back negative for you :)

Sounds awful honey, i hope you don't get a call today and get a letter in the post instead x

Good luck! I no im at higher risk of diabetes but no-ones actually told me that i found it out myself coz my daughter was over 9lb so this one could be bigger too x

Poor you - i have this test in a few weeks and am dreading it now!!! Hope the results are good - keep us updated x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back