• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Devastated - took our Greyhound back to the rehoming place :(

mdsremos

Reaction score
We rehomed a retired Greyhound Aug 2009 who was a beautiful 3 year old girl with tiger like markings. We always wanted a Greyhound as they are such gentle creatures who deserve a loving, warm and secure home after such a harsh life on the tracks.
Unfortunately things haven't gone to plan as a couple of times Dottie made a snap at our 4yr old son Charlie and on the few occasions we have noted that it has been when Charlie was innocently hurt her, such as stepping on her paw. If me or DH happened to knock her/step on a paw we got an instant screech and a wimper but for some reason with Charlie she would growl at him...not sure if its something from her past at the tracks.
Anyway, Charlie and DH were playing this afternoon in the living room and jumping around and Charlie was having a ball when suddenly Dottie decided she was jealous of all the fun and noise and tried to join in which resulted in Charlie being snapped at quite quickly by Dots which really put alot of doubt in our mind as to whether we could trust her with the new baby...just the thought of our little one innocently grabbing her and being bitten for it really sent shivers through us!!!
We made the decision to call the rehoming centre and explained our situation and the rehomer was more than understanding and asked that we took her straight to her for rehoming with a family without children.
We are so gutted that we had to take her back and Charlie was distraught (as are we!!!! :cry:) but the woman at the centre was reassuring that at the end of the day we have decided to face this now rather than have to put her down for biting a child further down the line if it ever came to that.
Dottie is a beautiful creature and were sure she'll find her forever home with someone without children or maybe older/teens.........
Its hard to make these decisions but we have to put our children/family first!!

aw! It must be horrible give up your animal but at the end of the day she couldn't be trusted. Its not the first time i have heard this about retired greyhounds. Someone i knew from work rehomed a bitch and she too would growl at the children they gave her back in the end too as it was too risky. You done the right thing hun xxx

Sorry to hear this hun, we are trying to find our Terrier x a home to and its so sad because she is such a lovely dog but she is just to needy and we dont have time.

:hugs: and im sure you will find a lovely dog who will love the children xx

what a hard decision you have had to make :( But rest assured that you made the BEST decision for your family and for Dottie, she wouldnt have had a good life with two young children around by the sounds of things and you would have been totally on edge. I am sure such a lovely looking dog will find a home quickly and one she and the owners are much happier in :)

You have made the best choice, well done mama your children come first x

Aww thats so sad. I think you made the right decision and I am sure she will find a lovely new home. It's better you did that then let it go any further xxxx

retired greyhounds shudnt be housed with children anyways! hence why when you see them they are always muzzeled

I'm really sorry to hear that. I had the same with my Alsatian, but not with snapping at children or anything, we bought her to live on the stable yard. I left the stable yard and took her home with me to be with my other 2 doggies and she was just so naughty! She went for other dogs out on walks, and if you let her off the lead she would just keep running until out of sight and didn't come back to call, so we had to shift her which was the saddest thing I've done in a long time. I feel for you xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnastasiaKh
Back