deep veins and trouble giving blood samples

sparky

Reaction score
Does anyone else suffer with this?

Went for the MW appointment this morning and they had to use both arms before going into the hand which is always painful, anyway they were unable to take all the blood they needed so just skipped the diabetes test until next time :shock:

The midwife said this might stop me from having a home birth which upset me a bit.

Anyone else suffer with this?

I sometimes have trouble with my deep veins but then on other occaisions they don't have any problems at all.

What pain relief do you think you want to have? I guess its important if you want pethedine but otherwise, why would they need to get to your veins? If there's any problem you'd have to go to hospital obviously but this just seems like another of their (not so) subtle ways to talk you out of home birth.

keep us posted; I'm planning a home birth so good to hear others' experiences!

I have awkward veins but my new MW has had no problem taking blood from them. In fact, she causes me less discomfort than anyone else so far this PG. I'm having a homebirth and no one has mentioned it being a problem. It would only be if you wanted pethedine I would think.

Don't worry too much about the diabetes test. My most recent one they ran out of vials for it (all colour coded nowdays) and so am not having one till 31 weeks. At 13 weeks a urine dip should at least give a good indication if there was anything going on so early. GD doesn't tend to set in till a bit later on for most women as I understand it.

I'd discuss it with her later on, as they don't book you in for a homebirth till 36 weeks anyways. So lots of time to work things out and become informed on it all :)

cheers ladies, was a bit worrying as they had tyo call for the blood nurse as the MW is not trained to use the big needle in the back of the hand...which suprised me a little.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back