more blood trouble!!

inky

Reaction score
Well, after the hospital tried to get bloods after my scan last week and failed, I went to see the phlebotomist at my GPs surgery to see if she could get any this morning - she did, thankfully, but it still took both arms, and about 6 needles in different spots!! She eventually got it from quite high up my left arm and it's now really, really painful because she did lots of needle wiggling :(

Has anyone else ever had any trouble giving blood? She didn't seem too concerned but I know I'm going to be crapping myself every time I have to have a blood test from now on! I never had any problems before!

You must have very small veins! They dont take it that often in a normal pregnancy - I think I'd had it drawn 3 times and at least once was over and above.

hopefully that's it for now then, they've taken the main bloods already and this was for the NT scan. I hope that's it anyway lol, my arms hurt!

that should be it for a while then - about 28wks they check your iron I think :)

i ahve to have bloods taken from my left arm in a specifit vein its huge but the rest arent so good haha so i always tell them where to take it from now after being stabbed throught my first pregnancy haha but hey its free acupunchere lol

The first lot of bloods I had taken (where they take loads!) they had realy problems trying to find a vien. My left arm in the end was so sore I couldnt bend it the whole day and I was left with huge bruises on both arms! Ive never had a problem before. Although when I had the tests for the NT scan they managed to get it first time, which was a relief, once theyve attacked you with needles once you dont want them to go near you again!!

i always have trouble with it (like 2 hours with mw, gp and anaethetist trying b4) but youll be fine..... they will check your blood count later on.... if your worried ring your gp and get him to ask to see if they sent off for your HB levels as they may have and if theyre low he could just start you on iron now rather than trying to fix the problem third trimester which they tried with me and failed and then i needed a transfusion. make him aware how difficult it was and he will check possible causes?? :D xx

Thanks Lisa, I have an appointment with my GP for a BP check next week anyway so I might mention it to him then, I haven't heard anything about my last lot of bloods so assume all was OK.

Melio, you're right - I was so nervous this morning after the state my arms were in after last week, today my right arm isn't too bad but my left arm has a big blue lump, is still bleeding and is really painful! Oh the joys of being pregnant :(

Ooooh your so brave! I would have fainted or threw up after the first try! I cant do needles and im dreading the blood tests iv got to come i hate the noise of the blood flowing out yuk! im goin all light headed thinking about it :( x

Inky, I'm really stingy on giving blood! I have beautiful big veins too and the doctors/nurses always get excited when they see my veins because they look like drain pipes, but the minute they get in, for some bizarre reason, they can't get any blood! I've never had any problems with my blood itself, I think its just my body's way of trying to keep hold of it!!

am i the only person that loves having their blood taken?
i even watch hahahaa :lol:

you love it? I didn't mind it until last week when my veins decided to stop playing ball!! Any other needle I'm fine with, but blood should stay in the body I reckon lol!!

hahah i say love it but it doesnt bother me one bit, i could have them stick needles in me all day!
i find blood and that so fascinating!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back