Dad & Step Mum

dannii87

Reaction score
I don't know what to do and need your advice ladies;

My step Mum, Joanne, has always disliked me and especially my Mum, just because she can't handle his past & doesn't like any women in his life. Whenever my Dad has disowned me (which has been a lot!) she made things difficult for me and my Dad to rebuild our relationship. I did resent her for a long time, but never showed it because at the end of the day, when I leave my Dad's house, I'm just grateful he's not alone and he has someone there for him who looks after him.

A few examples of why she is a complete bitch!

When I found out I was pregnant, Joanne rolled her eyes as if she knew the day would come. She has NEVER asked how I am or asked how baby is etc. She doesn't even talk about it. My Dad doesn't talk much about baby when he's with Joanne and I think it might be because she gives him a hard time about it when I leave.

I bought my Dad a "Grandad" mug for Xmas when I found out I was pregnant - I found it the next day broken, Joanne said she was washing it and the handle fell off "because it must have been cheaply made" :evil:

At my 20 week scan, I wanted my Mum & Dad there. When I dropped him off afterwards he said "you can come in for a cuppa, but please do NOT tell Joanne that Mum was there today. She'll go mad" - Erm, WTF?! :evil: He also phoned me the next day and said she'd found out and asked if I'd said anything (which I hadn't, turned out to be a slip up from my brother) and he said Joanne was really upset because it's something that doesn't involve her and that Evie represents the relationship my Mum & Dad once had etc. She is jealous of a BABY!!! He asked me to make sure she always feels involved. I really resent that. It's not my problem and Lord knows I've tried to build some sort of relationship with her over the years, all to no avail.

My Dad told me once to stop talking about childhood memories because Joanne doesn't like it... :evil:

My Mum had a boob job last year but didn't tell anyone about it (apart from me and her OH), she asked Joanne if she could drop my brother off here as she was going into hospital - for all Joanne knew, my Mum could have been having a lump removed or god knows what!! She just text my Mum saying "no, you'll have to come & get him or get someone else to do it".

My Mum works 5 days a week and leaves here straight after work to pick my 13 yr old brother up every Friday and drops him back off again every Sunday (he lives with my Dad & Joanne). It's about an hour's drive each way but she never complains - Joanne NEVER does the journey, she doesn't work and moans to my brother if my Mum is ever late or anything.

She moved my brother schools without telling my Mum! (My Mum had to contact the school to get copies of his school reports because Joanne refused to give her copies) and when she didn't receive the last one, she phoned the school to ask to speak to his teacher to check how he is (because he's like a closed book, we try so hard to get him to open up but he won't and my Mum always worries that he's not happy etc). They said he'd changed schools since last Monday!

My brother had a football accident a few weeks ago and was rushed to hospital with a bone sticking out of his arm :puke: My Dad phoned my Mum and told her, but told her not to come to the hospital because Joanne will feel "left out" as my brother lives with them. My Mum said it's tough sh*t & turned up anyway. Joanne made things really awkward and wouldn't let my Mum be alone with Ryan saying that "he needed her there for support". My Mum accepted because she didn't want to cause trouble, and Joanne told my Mum to go and have a fag break whilst she took Ryan to the loo, when my Mum returned, the bed was gone and a nurse told her that "his Mother had taken him down to theatre" !!!! Joanne had LIED about the time of his op and had claimed to be Ryan's Mum!

So, last time I saw my Dad & Joanne was a few weeks ago (Fathers Day) when she refused to sit in the room to watch Evie's 4D scan DVD. I didn't care, my Dad wasn't bothered about watching it either which kind of upset me. Anyway, I went to leave and said bye to Joanne who didn't even look up to acknowledge me leaving, and I cuddled my Dad and went to leave. He said "erm Dannii, get in the kitchen and say goodbye to Joanne" quite angrily. I said "I did!" and he said, "no, get in there now and say goodbye properly with a kiss & a cuddle" - I was soooo angry. I'm 20, about to become a Mother myself and was treated like a 5 year old child with my Dad MAKING me kiss & cuddle a woman who has treated me and my Mum terribly during the past 5 years.

She never spoke to me since, until I offered my Dad the chance to be my 2nd birthing partner. My Mum is my primary birthing partner, but I am allowed 2. Not because I want his support, or need him there, I just know he hates to be left out so I decided that although I would MUCH prefer my step Dad there, my Dad would probably not speak to me for aaaages afterwards and I don't want Evie dragged into this childish behaviour of my Dad & Joanne's.

Dad said "I don't want to be IN the room, I'll be waiting outside though, and believe me I will be the FIRST in there, cutting the cord and the first to hold my granddaughter" - Erm, no you won't! My Mum will cut the cord and my Mum will have the first cuddle! & I either want him there with me or not at all. He'll be taking up space that someone else could use by being the second birthing partner! A birthing partner to me constitutes someone who is THERE for me, by my side, telling me I'm doing great. Not someone who lurks outside, waits for that all important scream and runs in to grab baby for the first cuddle! He's only doing it so Martin (my step Dad) doesn't get the chance to be there. He then sneakily meantioned that "Joanne will be thrilled too and will want a cuddle" and basically said that she'd be there! Outside the room! NOOOOO!!

Anyway, since I offered my Dad the place last week, I conveniently received a text off Joanne the same evening saying "hope you're ok and baby is ok?" I just replied "yes thanks, hope you all are too" and left it there. She then invited my Mum in for coffee yesterday to which my Mum refused. This sudden change behaviour & attitude is because Evie's due date is fast approaching and she wants to be involved!!! It's all so transparent, and she'll be back to her old tricks soon!

What my Dad & Joanne do is play games and everything in their eyes is a game to win. Even the birth of my daughter. :(

What can I do? I don't want Joanne there and I want all this childish sh*t to stop because I will NOT have Evie dragged into silly games played by immature adults. Also, before giving any advice, you need to know that I have to be VERY careful how I word things to my Dad because anything I say which he doesn't agree with and he won't talk to me for months (long story, but we spent 18 months not talking because I had an argument with Joanne about talking so horribly about my Mum to me & my brothers).

Cheers ladies :( xx

Aww, this must be so hard for you. I sort of have similar problems with my dad's partner. (keep in mind she is his dead brother's wife!) We're apparently not allowed to mention mum in front of her! Especially for the few months she was single! But no one told me this so i carried on talking about her. She's my mum. Nothing can be done about it.
Just do your thing. Go into labour. Get your mum to text him to let him know but not to come down as there are so many midwives or something.
My OH text my mum to tell her i was in labour. Before she really had chance to reply he text her again and said baby was here! You never know what is going to happen so just let him know it's more of a case of play it by ear, as babies come when it suits.

She sounds a bit tapped to say the least...does she have any children? Because she sounds like the sort of woman who'd be a creepy baby snatcher in a book....seems like she trys to take over everything. I wouldn't stand for it if i were you- you have a responsibility to your little girl and she's just an interfereing cow :twisted: You must have the patience and temperament of a saint, she sounds infuriating

I am sorry that you are involved in all this while being pregnant! :hug: :hug: :hug:

Do you think just talking with your dad would work(just telling him how you feel)?

If no, maybe a small lie could do (like there are no visitors allowed due to the risk of infections (your step mum), or just 2 are allowed and that is your mum and if you want your dad? I would even talk to the midwifes and tell them not to let anybody whom you dont want in. (Actually, in the hospital I gave birth only my parter was allowed during the birth, and then in the ward just 2 visitors at a time.)

That is a crappy situation hun...Hope you will manage to solve this.

:hug: :hug: :hug:

god she sounds just like my dads partner, she is a silly bitch aswell!!!
she is jealous of me my mum and sister and goes mental if he has anything too do with us
i wont go in too detail as this is your rant, but if you ever need a rant about the bunny boilers :rotfl:
pm me

Oh dear she sounds like an abosolute nightmare all due to jeliousy by the sounds of it! I would suggest you sit down with both of them so neither can tell lies or make you look like the bad one. I really feel for people in situations like this. I cant really offer any decent advice but hope you sort things out.

Keep us posted!

Claire x

Blimey o'reily.....you've got your work cut out there :( :hug: :hug: :hug:

Ive not got any advice really :? All i was gonna say is that you should just be honest with your dad, but he does sound rather under the thumb (sorry :S) and if you think he wont speak to you if you mention any of this then that puts you in a really tough situation :evil:

Your Step-mum sounds awful :x I'd lose my rag with someone like that very quickly, so youve done really well keeping the peace for as long as you have!!

If i were you id have it out with your dad, but from what youve said, doing that might just make things worse :(

Sorry , i dont know what else to suggest (im such a great help :roll: :rotfl: ) but at the end of the day its YOUR birth and if you dont want her there, just come up with a little fib maybe? Hope you get it all sorted. Pregnancy is stressful enough with out family stuff on top of it!! xxxx

Thank you so much ladies!! :hug: Don't know what I'd do without you. Even confirming that she is a complete looney is a great help :rotfl: I like knowing it's not just me!

I've thought of a lie about my birth;

I'm going to say that there isn't a waiting area (there actually isn't, so that's not the lie!) so if my Dad doesn't want to be IN the room, then he can't wait outside! So I'll just say to him that although I'd love him to be there, if he can't make it or would prefer to be there once she's born, then I will get my Mum to constantly update him of our progress (Joanne will hate this) and he can come visit once she's arrived.

Or, his other choice would be to stay with me - this will cut Joanne out of the equasion because I'd have already said they don't allow visitors!

I feel better about it now - It's not even a lie! I am really hoping he says he'll just arrive once she's been born. He is never serious and always making jokes out of things. Mum said that when Ryan was born, he made her sit in the car in the car park while he listened to the boxing results before they went to the delivery suite - she was in established labour at this point! I could do without all that! :roll:

If i were you, i would say that you desperately need two birthing partners in the delivery suite with you. having one outside isnt good enough. just say that would he mind that seeing as he isnt able to face coming into the delivery suite would he mind if your step dad came. really stress the importance off having two birthing partners.

Good luck and remember, that this birth is all about you and Evie, not about anyone else. unless you stand up and get things sorted out once and for all, i'm afraid that Evie will be dragged into it all.

could you perhaps take your dad out for a coffee and have a heart to heart, cards on the table. if he cant handle it as a responsible adult then it will be his hard loss.
xx

My Mum made a huge fuss over my wedding because I had said neither her or Dad were to bring their partners to try and prevent the risk of rows, I know neither my Dad or Stepmum would dream of causing a scene at my wedding and would have quite liked my stepmum there but she totally understood it was necessary to keep the peace for me to not invite her or my Mums partner, my Mum however totally kicked off even though she had know when our wedding was going to be at xmas that partners wernt going to be invited but when we brought it forward for some reason she thought that changed things. She said she didn't want to come and was quite horrible but I stood my ground as much as I'd have hated to get married without my Mum there I wasn't going to have her dictate to me what should happen on my wedding day and theres no way I was inviting him and not my stepmum it wouldnt be fair! We didn't talk for a few weeks then she got in touch and asked if she could still come and was fine after that!
You need to put your foot down this is a very special day for you the birth of your daughter and no one elses wants/demands should come first this is about what you want and how you handle this now will have an effect on how they expect they can dictate to you about things concerning the baby if you give in and let them do what they like they will continue to do so until you put your foot down which will most likely end in a big row best to do it now so they know where you stand before baby comes! The likelyhood is they will sulk but they want to see the baby and be involved so they are less likely to decide to cut you off and not talk to you for next 2 years although to be honest it would be more their loss then yours from what I understand you try to be a good daughter to them both and neither of them deserve you! If you want your step dad there have him there and sod them! I hope your plan works and they both decide to wait and visit after baby has been born and you feel settled enough, dont let them bully you if it doesn't work tell them what you want to happen you'll regret it if the sour the experience for you with their pettiness!! :hug: :hug: :hug:

Oh hun! :hug: :hug: :hug: I always thought you were os close to your dad! Hes being so silly! Joanne sounds like a right witch! Im os osrry you have to deal with this all the time!
I agree with what you said about what you will tell him! Good plan! Im glad your feeling a little less stressed about it!! :hug: :hug:

She sounds awful hun, how do you manage to stay so calm?! I'm not really sure I can offer any helpful advice but I didn't want to read and run :hug:
The only thing I can suggest is to just be honest with everyone, this is your life and your baby. I know you don't want to fall out with your dad but surely he wouldn't turn his back on you now after everything you have been through?? Tell everyone how much it stresses you out and that you don't want to take sides with anyone and most importantly you don't want Evie being involved in all this. Tell them everyone will get to see Evie when you are ready (you will need time to bond and recover from the birth), everyone will get a cuddle but it won't be the minute she has been born as this is your right, she is your daughter and tell them that everyone will play a part in her life no matter how big or small a part that might be. Hope this helps hun :hug: :hug: :hug:

Thank you ladies :hug: You're all so greta and I agree with you all!

I haven't spoken to my Dad about it yet because I am going to speak to the MW and get the visting conditions sorted first. I need to know exactly when my Dad can come visit (if he wants) because I don't really want to tell him not to be there at all as he really is the type to not talk to me for ages!

My step Mum will most certainly ring Bedford delivery suite to "confirm" the info I give them so I need to be clear about all that when I offer my Dad the ultimatum. Either be there fully (in the room), or don't be there at all. I can't be dealing with a part time birthing partner while I'm going through all that and will want everyone's full support.

At the end of the day, you're all right, it's MY baby and only I will be going through the pain. Joanne has 2 children of her own and although she should understand it, I know she won't :roll:

I'm really hoping my Dad will say he doesn't want to be there :pray: He'll claim it's because he doesn't want to see me in pain and that it's a time when I need my Mum, not my Dad - But the real reason will be because Joanne will give him a hard time about what he and my Mum talked about, what I said, whether or not I mentioned my "problem with her" etc etc. He's not good in stressful situations.

xx

Fingers Crossed for you hun and remember this is the one time when you have to be completely selfish as it is all about YOU and Evie.

xxx

Tara & Liam said:
Fingers Crossed for you hun and remember this is the one time when you have to be completely selfish as it is all about YOU and Evie.

xxx

Thank you soooo much :hug: I think I just needed a bit of courage and kind words. Thank you all!! xx

:hug: :hug: :hug:
sorry i missed this :oops:

it sounds like u dont want ur dad there u would prefer martin there instead and ur only asking ur dad out of politeness. honestly, dont be like that. this is about u and evie, u have who YOU want there- who u really want. the memory will stay with u forever and will be ur biggest most important one, dont let it be tarnished make sure its perfect.x

OMG hun, believe me i dont condone violence but your post just made me want to go up and smack her! Sounds like my DD dads wife. Nasty, vindictive, jealous bitch! She was jealous when DD's dad came to visit him as she said "i feel left out when SHE'S here" (meaning my 6 year old daughter at the time) She actually cried for 3 days because we invited him to his daughters birthday party after he had missed the 2 years before. I would tell your dad that you may be in labour for several hours and if she comes then she will be out there waiting alone for HOURS and wont be able to come in! In addition there isnt any waiting room anyway which means she will have to wait all the way downstairs in reception and might get swept away with all the other trash littering the floor. I would ask your dad straight whether he will be able to be there or not cos if not then you would like the chance of honouring another birthing partner as you want as much support as you can get. I would NOT have this vile woman anywhere near me. She will only end up poking her nose in, taking over and ruining you celebrations with her stupid comments, actions and jealously. You dont need that on your special day. She has been a nasty cow and she surely cannot expect you to want her there. Plus she will probably only make awful comments like "you shouldnt have gas and air.... you didnt do this right.... of course it doesnt HURT you giving birth.... etc etc. Your dad should be ashamed of himself for letting this women control him (sorry i dont mean that disrespectfully) as blood is thicker than water (or cyanide as the case may be!) :evil: Good luck and i hope all works out well, it must be a really horrible situation for you... :hug:

in addition... personally i wouldnt tell your step mum and dad. Invite your mum and Martin and when you go into labour call them after the event and make some excuse that you couldnt call them in time to be there as you were staying with your mum at the time so they just took you straight to the hospital and you forgot your phone in the mad rush! Plus you cant use phones in the hospital anyway :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back