Cough & Cold

twinmummy2be

Reaction score
Hi, I've come down with a bad cold which i'm coping with by wrapping up in my duvet and drinking lots of hot lemon juice drinks. I've also now got a sore throat and tickly cough which is stopping me sleeping.

Anyone got any ideas on what is safe to take. I was given something something by the chemist (glycerin,lemon & honey syrup) but it's not working. She said nothing else was safe at 14 weeks

twinmummy2be said:
Hi, I've come down with a bad cold which i'm coping with by wrapping up in my duvet and drinking lots of hot lemon juice drinks. I've also now got a sore throat and tickly cough which is stopping me sleeping.

Anyone got any ideas on what is safe to take. I was given something something by the chemist (glycerin,lemon & honey syrup) but it's not working. She said nothing else was safe at 14 weeks

ahhh feel for ya huni

I personally would make some hot lemon (just lemon juice & hot water) with some honey in and take it with 2 paraceetamol, then 2 hours later make the same drink but dont have paraceetamol and put a splash of whiskey in the drink - I know its alcohol, but im talking propably less than a shot tbh - maybe 1/2 a shot) then after 2 hours repeat from the beginning.

Usually I would you see put 1-2 shots in and take 1-2 paraceetmol (depending on strength) with it after 4 hours and do that all day (I know your not ment to take paraceetmol with alcohol, but it seems ok for me as long as im not getting hammered lol) but seen as were expecting I seriously wouldnt recommend it lol

I'd agree with Jenny, hope you feel better soon. :hug:

I would try doing some steam inhalations as well. Plain steam does wonders for me - the essential oils in vicks vapourub can cross the placenta (I think camphor and eucalyptus, but am not 100% sure which ones), and the steam itself is brilliant at loosening stuff. This would then mean you would reduce the post nasal drip which will be setting off that tickly cough.

Personally I wouldn't risk the whiskey, but that's only because I've heard far too many differing opinions on alcohol and pregnancy, but I do think it's a personal choice and I also feel that Jennywren is being very sensible in the amount she reccomends. Paracetomol is supposed to be fine during pregnancy - it's the anti-inflamatory painkillers and aspirin that aren't suposed to be taken during pregnancy. Other than that, keeping warm, lots of fluids and a bit of bed rest (if you can) probably wouldn't hurt either.

:hug: because you probably still feel quite rough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back