Cotbed and own room

Jellybeanjen

Reaction score
When did you put your little ones in their own room and a cotbed and how did they cope?

Morning JBJ :)

We put JJ in his own room and cot at around 8 weeks.

He outgrew his moses basket and it seemed pointless buying a new one! He was unsettled to begin with (and I spent far too long staring at the video monitor!) and woke twice a night for feeds for the first few nights (even though he had previously dropped all but 1 bottle). Now, 3 weeks in, he is sleeping from 21.30 - 6am most nights :)

So glad we moved him - all three of us sleep better! xx

Morning JBJ :)

We put JJ in his own room and cot at around 8 weeks.

He outgrew his moses basket and it seemed pointless buying a new one! He was unsettled to begin with (and I spent far too long staring at the video monitor!) and woke twice a night for feeds for the first few nights (even though he had previously dropped all but 1 bottle). Now, 3 weeks in, he is sleeping from 21.30 - 6am most nights :)

So glad we moved him - all three of us sleep better! xx

Morning Chez, Thank you :D I am thinking of putting Anna in her own room soon. Just nervous haha. She out grew her moses basket so we have a swinging crib in our room but soon would like to put her in her cotbed.eeeek they grow so fast!

I am glad JJ is sleeping well now. Bet the sleep is well nice haha! xxx

The extra sleep is amazing...I feel almost human again :)

I know the guidelines say you should keep baby in with you for the first six months, but every baby & family is different...dont feel bad for doing something different!

How is Anna sleeping at night now?? xx

I have only just put Chloe in her own room, she has a corned in there but ST the moment we have put her crib in there as wanted to put her in something she knows. We will probably give it a couple of weeks then try her in the cot end.

She was fine going into her own room, bothered me more than her :) x

My lo went in at 9 weeks, and within a week went from waking 4+ times a night to sleeping through. Think my husband's horrendous snoring had been waking her up!! I think my next one will go in even sooner. xxx

Hey JBJ

I put J in his own nursery since he was sleeping through.

Best thing I did, I get to sleep so much better now and he sleeps better not disturbed.

We use the sensor matt & monitor but so far its worked great for us both.

I waited till he was sleeping through so I wasn't up and down like a yoyo.

This is him his first night, never looked back since! xxxxx

Attachments

• jackson.jpg
    jackson.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
When we got home, Cay spent the first two weeks on the sofa.

OH is nocturnal, so he was up all night, then went to bed when I got up in the morning.

After that, we decided it wasn't really fair for Cay to be on the sofa the whole time, and he deserved a bed, so we took him up and put him in his cot.
We'd left one side off and pushed it right up against our bed so the mattresses are "joined".
He's been there since.

He's just over six months now, and still in our room, but we'll be moving him once we decide we can let him go :) xx

We put our LO in his own room when he outgrew the moses basket. We didn't have room for his cot bed in our room. He took to it really well. The first couple of nights were a bit tricky getting him into bed. We were used to rocking his moses basket when we put him in so he didn't kick off at being put down. So there were a few pick ups and put downs! We also put his moses basket in the cot and put him to sleep in it so it wasn't a strange bed he went into. He took to it well though, once he was down, he would stay in the cot and within the week was sleeping through pretty much. He was about 11/12 weeks by the way.

I know the guidelines say you should keep baby in with you for the first six months, but every baby & family is different...dont feel bad for doing something different!

Glad to hear you are getting much needed sleep! :dance:

Yeah I thought that but I know loads of people that put them in cots like straight away or much earlier than 6months and everything is fine. She sleeps right through most nights in her crib that is in our room. Some nights she wakes for a feed but only occasionally. Still waiting for the mattress to go in the cot and then we are seriously thinking bout putting her in her own room with sensor mat.

What covers are you supposed to use with cot bed. Ones that are cot quilts say 12months! Possibly her usual blanket or sleeping bag thingy is fine? xxx

Hey hun, H has been sleeping in a cotbed in his own room since 6 weeks round abouts.

He took to it fine, still waking in the night between 2-3 am and then again at 6-7am but so far its been a lot easier to settle him back down to sleep. I was a bit nervous about him going into his own room but we have a vidoe and sensor mat monitor and so far its worked wonders altho I do still spend most my nights looking at the screen lol

Xxx

I would love to move J now, but I just can't do it. I am a clingy Mummy! Do let us know how it goes if you go ahead xx

Ethan went into his cotbed in his own room at 7 weeks. He was lashing out in his Moses basket due to lack of space and we didn't have room for his cot in our room so had no choice! But it was the best decision for all of us. He started sleeping through shortly after and was a lot happier in his cot.

The cot quilts can't be used until 12m+. We put Ethan in a sleeping bag, but you could use a blanket if you prefer xx

I put my lo through in her own room a couple nights ago (shes 6months). Shes such a light sleeper and was getting disturbed by us so much. I found the first night horrible and was so paranoid that someone would come in and steal her lol. But im fine now, its really nice to have our room back :) we have the sensor mat too which helps xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Ethan went into his cotbed in his own room at 7 weeks. He was lashing out in his Moses basket due to lack of space and we didn't have room for his cot in our room so had no choice! But it was the best decision for all of us. He started sleeping through shortly after and was a lot happier in his cot.

The cot quilts can't be used until 12m+. We put Ethan in a sleeping bag, but you could use a blanket if you prefer xx

LOL jackson did this too that's another reason he went in at 8w, the moses basket was a rocker and I was scared he would rock out of it!!

We use the bag cause he kicks all the covers off but in the warm weather just a blankie.

When J was about 4m we had an appt with the dental nurse and she says is he still in with u I says noo he's been in his nursery frm 8w and she turned and says to j "ohhh your still a bit young to be in that room all by yourself aren't you" I was thinking yeah cause he's gna turn and say "I know, I've been trying to tell her that but she just put me in" I would have rather she just says u do know the age is 6m I would have taken that better, just found it so patronising!!

xxxxx

LOL jackson did this too that's another reason he went in at 8w, the moses basket was a rocker and I was scared he would rock out of it!!

We use the bag cause he kicks all the covers off but in the warm weather just a blankie.

When J was about 4m we had an appt with the dental nurse and she says is he still in with u I says noo he's been in his nursery frm 8w and she turned and says to j "ohhh your still a bit young to be in that room all by yourself aren't you" I was thinking yeah cause he's gna turn and say "I know, I've been trying to tell her that but she just put me in" I would have rather she just says u do know the age is 6m I would have taken that better, just found it so patronising!!

xxxxx

That's why we moved our son. He's always been an active on in his sleep and was getting to the point where the stand would rock when he did it! Just wasn't safe anymore!

Glad to hear you are getting much needed sleep! :dance:

Yeah I thought that but I know loads of people that put them in cots like straight away or much earlier than 6months and everything is fine. She sleeps right through most nights in her crib that is in our room. Some nights she wakes for a feed but only occasionally. Still waiting for the mattress to go in the cot and then we are seriously thinking bout putting her in her own room with sensor mat.

What covers are you supposed to use with cot bed. Ones that are cot quilts say 12months! Possibly her usual blanket or sleeping bag thingy is fine? xxx

Before we were in this heatwave, I had a large cellular blanket that I folded in half and tucked into the sides of the cot to cover him from his chest down.

At the moment, I dont put anything on him and he sleeps in a vest suit. It was 27 degrees in his room last night...poor little sausage...but it doesnt seem to bother him really, he still sleeps through from 9.30 - 6ish.

When were you thinking of moving Anna? xx

Olly is 4 weeks today and we put him in his cotbed in his room last week, so we have had a full week so far.Our house is a 2 up 2 down, it's so small I can hear him breathing from our room. He doesn't like his Moses basket and kicks off when we try to put him in it, he sleeps on his blanket or in his bouncer during the day.
I was so worried at first, up and down checking on him but the poor little mite was fast asleep. We all sleep so much better aswell Ashe is such a noisy sleeper. It's easier to get him settled after his 3/4am feed and hubby gets a full nights sleep. It's such a big decision to make, and a very personal one at that. I say whenever your ready, doesn't matter if baba is 1 week old or 1 year old.

He also loves him sleeping bag .. Hated being swaddled

Xxx

Covers for cot/bed before 12 months...

Personally, I'd get sleeping bags. You can really good cute ones for like £3 on eBay.

Cay started off under blankets. One morning I was laying dozing and I heard an awful suffley noise. I looked over and he'd wriggled his way under his blanket, even though he was feet-to-foot and tucked right in. After that I put him a bag for nights and never had a problem. Also, when it gets a little cooler, you can pop them in a bag, do up the shoulders and the popper under the arm, and leave the zip open so they're covered but can still get a breeze and even pop their little legs out if it gets too warm. Xx

I think I'm the only mum who doesn't like the sleeping bags?! I hate them! It's a mission getting my LO into one, and it's not too bad when he goes down for the night, but god trying to get him back in it if I have to do a bum change on a night feed is a mission! He kicks his legs about all the time in the night, and kept banging the zip against his cot, waking me up! How he slept through it, god only knows! He had it on for a week and by the end I wanted to burn the bloody thing! It would be no good now, he likes playing with his feet in the morning and kicks off when he can't touch them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back