Cot advice ....again...lol

GregorysGirl

Reaction score
Ok....so Advice required really.

Hubbys parents had 'bizarely'kept his original cot in the loft for the last 30 yrs. they have decided it would b lovely for ys to have it for junior...which I agree.

Im totally not against second hand.....my only issues r:

1) Id seen one which would match perfect with our other furniture(does it really matter...surely its nicer t have the sentimental factor of the cot?

2) Id seen a cot BED in babies r ys...that will last along time n was halff price at £1. If we have hubbys we'll have t buy a little bed when junior is too big.

3) How old r babies when they outgrow their cot??

4) i wss drawn t the babies r us one cos there r 3diffetent levels it can stay at....n thought if i had it higher it would stop my back hurting.

Wat the reason advantage if the adjustable levels?

It is free but I was convinced the cotbed was an investment.....arggghhhh help me make a decision....im rhubarb!!!!!

Xxxxx

You're right the cot bed would be an investment but I have to say I would be taking the cot. I think thats gorgeous to be able to tell your little one in years about the history of the cot and they obviously wanted it to become a family heirloom. I'm a bit soppy like that sorry!! lol. You can still get all the cot bumpers etc to match you scheme. If you are not paying out now you've got plenty of time to save to get a bigger bed when babe is ready. They can stay in cots for a couple of years. xxxxxxxxxxx

Is the old cot wood or has it been painted/ coloured?
My concern would be if it's White or a colour rather than pure wood is the paint safe as it may not meet the regulations now same with distance between the cot bars on side.

Just a thought when looking at old things like cots x

Its solid pine..wat distance do the bars have t b apart??...ek x

I think the main thing to be concerned about is the change in safety standards... Things have changed a lot in 30 years. You might want to look into current standards and make sure it is safe before you do anything. Sorry, I am just a bit of a worrier when it comes to this stuff lol.

I know me too...but felt like everyone was lookin at me like i was over reacting x

We were offered one 40 years plus and I had to refuse it. It was a lovely cot but had been repainted so many times I was worried about the chemicals and stuff and stripping it would have been a nightmare

My LO is 14 months old and my parents have a second hand cot at their that she uses and she still fits in it fine. However I brought a cotbed for her at mine for the exact reasons youve said. It has 3 levels which was nice while she was still young, it can be turned into a bed so she can have it until she's about 4/5yrs old and it matched the rest of the furniture. I guess its what you can afford. If you can afford the cotbed, Id be tempted to go with the new one but if you'd rather save the pennies then go with the older one :)

We had this problem. Lovely family cot but I had already bought a set of furniture off a friend which included a cot bed and all matched nicely. We compromised - family cot is staying at grandma and grandad's for when bubs spends a few nights there, and I have the matching set. Smiles all round!!

My son is in his daddys cot and its fine we got some paint and repainted it blue. And he is 32 years old :D

Yeah we will have to buy him a buy but I'm pregnant anyways so the next baba will get some use out of it hehe. Plus I think cotbeds are just a gimmick as by the time they need a bed size I think a junior bed would be fine or a single with bed rails on which aint that expensive

Last edited:
Oh and it has 3 levels too so no bads there, I left it on the middle one since he has been born just put the side up now x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back