Consultant appointment - what to expect?

Nic36

Reaction score
Starting to feel really nervous... have my first appointment with the consultant this afternoon. Not totally sure why the midwife referred me to be honest, and don't know what to expect... eeeekk... What is likely to happen?

did they not say why they were doing it?

I have been classed as high risk as i have had a laperoscopy and dye, hysteroscopy and ovarian drilling op so i have been referred to the consultant.

not sure what to expect hun, but make sure you ask why you are seeing them!

I think it's basically because of a lot of depression I had in the past - but it's all so long ago now, not really relevant. If that's all it is, I should be in and out in a flash.

I had an 16 week scan with a consultant! She was just another woman in the room but we have an 'out patients' appointment with her in October. I had a CVS test which came back as ok but LO could've had a possible heart problem.

Im with consultsnt cos of BMI :(

Me too :( but also because I had pre-eclampsia over both boys.

I have an appointment with consultant at my 20 week scan on 26th, I don't know what to expect either!

My midwife referred me for a consultant appointment because I have had epilepsy in the past. It's all under control now and I am not on any medication. At the consultant appointment she just talked to me about my epilepsy history and how I was feeling. She then tried to listen to the baby's heartbeat but couldn't find it because I was only 13 weeks. So she got the portable ultrasound machine and did another scan just to make sure everything was OK, which it was. After that she was happy with me and decided that she wouldn't need to see me again until I was 40 weeks.

So I guess if you've been referred because of something in your past medical history the appointment will be similar to mine, with the consultant just checking that everything is going to be OK for you throughout the pregnancy and making sure there isn't anything extra they or you need to do to keep both of you healthy throughout.

Good luck with it.

im high risk coz of a blood result since being preggers but was classed high risk anyway because of a stomach problem, so it just shows that it could be for anything as lots of us on here are high risk. hope its nothing too serious, im sure its not xx

Hope ur appt went well Hun! X I have to see a consultant cos I have graves disease! :) my levels were ok but have raised past couple of weeks so mws have passed me to consultant boo

---
-

I was almost high risk because nan and mom had diabetes but through age really ( both got it in 70s) it's for loads of diff reasons hope it goes well though xxxx

iv been referred to a consultant as it is a twin pregnancy and was wondering what to expect also. x

Thanks everyone! Appointment was absolutely fine - I was worrying for nothing - just had blood pressure and urine sample with the Health Care Assistant. Followed by a general chat with the consultant to check everything is going OK - I said it was and she was happy for me to be put back under midwife's care. Did get to hear the baby's heartbeat though which was lovely :) Hope you all get on OK with your appointments!

thats great. its good that their always on the ball. im on consultant care cos i had a hole in my heart when i was born and operated on when i was 6 plus my dad had a triple bypass so chances of lil man having a heart problem are higher. but went last week and hes ok and have to go in oct as his heart will be bigger so they can see if he has the same problem as me. x

Hope it all goes well for you NikNaks :)

It should've on your notes as to why, can be various reasons, high BMI being common or problems with previous births. I had to see consultant because of having lineup problems and ops, he only talked to me and requested my midwife send a urine sample away every appointment to check for UTI

i was reffered to my consultant and my MW didnt tell me why, i was so worried thinking all sorts, turns out its because id have cervical cancer in the past and theyve given me an open appointment so i can go back whenever i need to if im worried.

try not to worry, i know its hard, but if it was something seroius they would of had you in pretty quick xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back