constant pain under ribs

ginafish

Reaction score
Hello, I am 25 weeks pregnant and for the past month I have had a pain under my ribs in the right side. This pain ranges from a dull soreness (as if I am bruised there) to sharp burning pains that are even sensitive to touch. At first my doctor thought maybe it was gallstones, but I had a blood test for liver function and the results came back normal. She then told me it could be the baby's position- his feet pressed up against my liver, and that the pain will go away as soon as the baby changes position. However, a month has passed and this pain is still there, now even waking me from my sleep. I am getting tested again for liver function to try to get to the bottom of this. Not only is this pain uncomfortable and sometimes very painful, it is also worrying. Has anyone ever experienced this? Any ideas as what can be causing the pain?

Hi , I've had gallstones and since had my gall bladder removed. The pain always affected me in the night, waking me from my sleep and causing agonising pain in the centre of my chest just below the rib cage. The pain would often go through to my back also. It made me extremely sick, which would relieve the pain but it got to the point where being sick didn't help and I ended up having to have an emergency gall bladder removal operation.

The best thing to detect gallstones is to have an ultrasound of your gallbladder.

I would go back to the Dr and ask for a scan for gallstones - don't leave it like I did, I ended up getting an infection and it wasn't very pleasant!

p.s I've since read that drinking a pint of water as soon as the pain starts can help, it encourages the gallbladder to empty and will relieve the pain.

I was on holiday last week and had really sore rib pain on the left I thought it was the way the baby was lying but after my sister phoned my midwife she that could be a sign on infection was checked on friday nothing foung by my gp, had a bit of spotting yesterday I went the hospital infection found with protein and white blood cells so they say thats why my ribs are sore after all.

I had something like this when I wasn't pregnant - the pain was sore to the touch as well, and extended to the back of my ribs. After having an x-ray, I was told that I had blockage...I heard this is very common in pregnancy and there are some stool softeners and natural laxatives (Metamucil) that are safe to take during pregnancy. Of course drinking loads of water helps too. Have you been constipated lately? If so, this is something to consider.

I've had a pain under my left rib today, it feels a little like a stitch though.
I'm not sure if I have just been sat awkward and got trapped wind though or even just trapped a nerve or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back