• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Confused by sleeping arrangements - please help!

Bexter

Reaction score
Morning Ladies,

I have recently been looking into nursery furniture and prams etc and am getting a bit confused. :?

I have read that it's safer for the baby to sleep in our room for the first 6 months - now we won't have enough room for a cot or cotbed so am looking into cribs - but what's the difference between a crib or moses basket?

Can we use either? Plus the pram we are thinking of buying - Silvercross Linear Sleepover http://www.silvercross.co.uk/sleepover_ ... hassis.php comes with a moses basket stand and the carrycot converts into a moses basket - can we use this as the baby's first bed?

Thanks! x

srry no answer but thats the exact kind of pram I will be after, do you have any idea of cost?!!!
I have been lookin and looking but couldnt find it!! thank yous !!

The carrycot on prams that convert are ideal. Saves you buying a moses basket, especially if it comes with a stand. A crib is just slightly bigger than a moses basket. I personally wouldn't buy both. If you get a moses basket and baby outgrows it, chances are it'll only be in the crib another month or 2.

A crib is like a mini cot, it's about halfway between a moses basket and cot in size, maybe a bit smaller. That pram looks great, one of my friends uses her pram's carrycot (it's a mamas and papas ultima) for her daughter to sleep in and it's ideal - it also means she doesn't have to wake her up to take her into the house if she's asleep in her pram.

In hindsight I wouldn't have bothered with a moses basket, cute and handy though it was!

Ah ok, thanks. There's just so much to think about! :D

Rock-Angel - i think the Pram costs about £375 but it doesn't come with a car seat, so that would need to be bought seperately if you needed one. I was shopping the other day and saw someone with this pram and in the colours we wanted too (Marina) - it looks very cute!

If your getting that pram anyways then I would get a crib too!
I had a crib with my first 3 and they could stay in it till around 6 months! I got a moses basket with Lola which looks all pretty and pink but she is out of it already and now has to sleep in a travel cot in my room! Not ideal as I went for a travel cot without a bassinette! :doh: :doh: If i could go back I would get a crib! In fact I was thinking of getting a crib now as I dont like her in the TC shes too low so when I reach down I hurt my back and its just a pain! :(

Meant to say so you can use the pram carry cot and still have the crib there to last you longer! :D

We started Logan in a moses basket like pram. lasted about 3 weeks before moving him to his own room, Yes that is earlier than recommended but i would do it again if i felt it was right (we planned to have him with us for 6 months, but it just didn't happen in the end). Some babies don't take to moses baskets or outgrow them quite quickly so forking out a bundle for something like that may be a waste of money

Not trying to sway you (it is your child, not mine) but i would research a bit more if you want them in the same room with you for 6 months. parents and babies will sleep better if not sharing a room and if you do wait until 6 months its hard emotionally (i understand) to move them to another room. Many mothers i have spoken to at my mother and baby groups have said in hindsite they wisehed they had moved their children to their own room earlier.

Sandi

That pram is an excellent idea!

We have a moses basket and I reckon Molly will get another month or so out of it but she's quite short, otherwise I'd have probably had to move her out of it already.

If I were you, getting that pram, I'd get a crib too if you want to keep the baby in your room till 6 months.

I had the sleepover pram (in marina too!). I kept it downstairs and Jim used to sleep in it in the day time. He was always dead cosy. And we used it if we went away overnight anywhere. Apparently the mattress/ ventilation system is designed for it to be used as a bed. I thought it was dead spacious... I think he was about 6 months when he no longer really fit in the pram part and I converted it into a pushchair; and he is really long too. We'll be using it again when no. 2 arrives.

I highly recommend it!

I had a moses basket for Poppy and she only lasted 9 weeks in it before she was too big for it. I didn't want a cot in our room so at 9 weeks we put her in her own room in the cot.

It was the best thing for her becasue although she was trying to sleep through the night every time me or DH moved in bed we'd wake her up. Same when DH got up in a morning for work. Since she's been in her own room she's slept through every night with no problems. I've had better nights sleep too because I wasn't checking on her every half an hour. I've got a monitor so I can hear every noise she makes.

In hindsight I probaby wouldn't have bothered with the carry cot bit for my pram because it was smaller than my moses basket so she'd have been in that for even less time. I only ever used it a few times when we went for a walk and it's already up the loft!!

Bexter said:
Rock-Angel - i think the Pram costs about £375 but it doesn't come with a car seat, so that would need to be bought seperately if you needed one. I was shopping the other day and saw someone with this pram and in the colours we wanted too (Marina) - it looks very cute!

thanks for that showed hubby and he loves the beige version, so going to start looking for stockists near us soon!! Inlaws has said they would pay for it, but they were looking in argos so werent expecting that kind of price!! lol!

we've bought a similar M&P travel system, where the pram carrycot can be used as an occasional overnight moses basket. However - all the manufacturers say it should be occasional overnight use only. They're fine for naps, or the odd night, but you should really find something else for everyday (night?) use.

Don't ask me why, the advisors I spoke to (M&P and John Lewis) said it's something to do with SIDS and regulations, height of sides, construction, ventilation and hygiene (esp if baby's in it for some of the day too). I got slightly bored by the spiel and stopped listening. I also realised that once you add a mattress to the carrycot, it starts getting quite heavy (you need a mattress if you're going to use it overnight) and I thought I would quickly get bored of a) lugging it up and down stairs and having to keep putting it on and taking it off the chassis and b) changing the sheets on it every other morning or however often the nappy leaks, especially if it's still damp when I need to use it as a pram. If you have a separate basket/crib, it does at least get a chance to air, which is much healthier.

We've got a crib for the first few months (the one I has as a baby, so no real decision made). However, you can buy Moses baskets pretty cheaply (there are quite a few in TK Maxx at the moment) and they're a lot smaller and you can move them around. You can get rocking stands or fold up ones, so whatever suits the space. As others have said, the basket is likely to last about 4m, and the crib about 6m. Although the guidelines all say you should have the baby in the room for the first 6 months, all of our friends just laughed when we discussed it - the babies were moved into their own rooms any time between 1 week and 4 months, when the parents just couldn't take it any more!

If you're very tight on space, and depending on your own feelings, you could get a Snuggle Nest. We've bought one, it says particularly suitable for newborn/premature, and for use <4m, but I know quite a few who've used it for full-term babies up to 6m. It's a kind of box (DH has already nicknamed it the Baby Box) and you can place it between your pillows on your own bed, and then lift it into the cot in another room without waking up the baby. I think we might be using it to get the baby used to waking in another room, even if it has to get to sleep in ours. Plus the box will provide a familiar environment. We're also going to use it downstairs during the day to start with - it can even be placed on the sofa/armchair so the baby is secure and won't roll off.

http://www.jojomamanbebe.co.uk/detailfa ... gory=GST81

- but they're cheaper on Amazon and elsewhere (come in blue and pink) and we got ours for £19.95 at TK Maxx.

HTH!

Sandi4Paul said:
Not trying to sway you (it is your child, not mine) but i would research a bit more if you want them in the same room with you for 6 months. parents and babies will sleep better if not sharing a room and if you do wait until 6 months its hard emotionally (i understand) to move them to another room. Many mothers i have spoken to at my mother and baby groups have said in hindsite they wisehed they had moved their children to their own room earlier.

Sandi
Im the opposite lol! I wouldn't have been able to sleep a wink with them in the other room! :lol:

lea m said:
Sandi4Paul said:

Sandi
Im the opposite lol! I wouldn't have been able to sleep a wink with them in the other room! :lol:

I thought the same thing....... I was desparate to not move her to her own room at just 9 weeks old but she was too big for her moses basket and her cot wouldn't fit in our room so we had no choice really. The first couple of nights were really hard, particularly because she slept straight through but once i got used to it it was sooooo much better for us and for her.

Thanks for the comments everyone :D
It certainly has given me something to think about, particularly with everyone's own experiences. think i need to discuss the different options with DH and make a decision from there. x

I used the pram carry cot for my first, but the thing i found a pain was having to carry it upstairs every night, so when i had my 2nd i bought a moses basket, but found that he outgrew it very quickly, i also used the moses basket for my youngest 2 boys but had the same problem they outgrew it so quickly. This time i have bought a crib so i dont have to have a cot in my room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back