Sleeping

ERIN84

Reaction score
I'm a bit undecided on what to do when bub arrives reagrding sleeping. We have got a cotbed in the nursery and its all ready. :) My bro and sis in law has given us a moses basket (only been used for about 2 and a half months - so almost as good as new) as they have emigrated to Oz.

Do we have bubs in the moses basket in our room for a while (if so how long?) or do we put him/her straight into the cotbed?

I remember when my nephew was born he went straight into his cotbed and had no problems...

All im worried about is if we do have baby in moses basket then have to move to cotbed, are we going to be unsettling them? How will they react to the transition? On the other hand I've read moses basket sleeping reduces the risk of cotdeath (but I dont want to get too hung up on things like that)

What does everyone think?

We'll have our cotbed ready too but also got the carry cot part of our pram, the silvercross deluxe sleepover, that's pretty much like a moses basket. So We're going to have bubs in with us for the first couple of weeks and see how it goes. That's if me in my OH are sleeping in the same room by then what with my snoring and pillow nest!

Ive got the cotbed (not set up though...no room for it!) but Ive got a moses basket for LO to sleep in for a couple of months. Mainly because the cotbed wont fit in my room and I deffinatly want her to sleep in my room at first.

I asked my mum about moving baby over to the cotbed and she said she had no problems with either me or my sister, so not to worry about moving them from the moses basket.

I think its nicer to have the baby next to your bed for a while, and I think its recommended as well, for 6 months of something :/

Hope you figure it all out though :)

Its safer for LO to sleep in your room for the 1st 6 months but they can go in a cot or mosesbasket it depends what they find they feel safer in :) x

the recommendation is that they sleep in your room for the first 6 months. this is from studies on SIDS. When they are next to you, you are more tuned into their breathing etc and would notice subtle changes you might not through a monitor. If they are in the next room night feeds will be more disruptive where when they are next to you you will hear their feeding cues before it gets to fever pitch and if you are BFing you can reach over and feed them right away - even with FF if you have all your kit ready you can get sorted dead quickly. I have mine in the bed with me till they sleep through and then in the crib next to me for 6 months. :)

Last edited:
oh and they have gone in their own rooms with minimal effort from me and fuss on their part :)

I had Rosie in a wicker moses basket on a stand (the one that we were all in as babies) for 10 weeks next to my bed; then as she slept for longer periods at night I put her in her own cot in her room :)

Someone suggested to me if you are ready to move LO from moses basket to cot then to put the moses basket in the cot so that LO get used to the bars and then once they are used to it to take away the moses basket. I dont know if anyone esle has heard/tried this??

I heard that too Tiggerbounce, can't for the life of me remember where I heard it though!! oops!

Last edited:
We did that too, as we had a cot bed rather than a cot, and it seemed soo huge for them after the moses basket! We kept them in with us fokr about 6 months at least, does depend on the growing size of your baby in the moses basket too !

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Currish
Back