Confused about feed times?

Shaz

Reaction score
Hi Girls

You know when people say "my baby feeds every two or three hours"....

i'm confused because my HV wrote down that Connor is feeding every two hours, but it takes me about 45 mins to an hour to feed him so it's actually working like this..

8-9 - feeding
9-10 - sleep
10 - wakes for another feed

It's the same at night - so really am I feeding him every two hours or every hour?? Do I start the timing from when I start feeding him the first bottle to when I start feeding him the next??

Confused of Bristol...........

Its timed from the start of each feed.

You time the feed from when he starts, not from when he finished.

So with ewan i would say feed him at 10 for 35 mins his next feed would then be due at 12. so that would be 2hrs with an hour and 25 min respite.

Right - so technicaly all those people who's babies go 3-4 hours between feed could actually spend 2 hours feeding them!!!

That makes me feel a lot better!!! Thanks

it was a sod a night as i could spend anything up to 50 min s feeding him them winding him!

Yeap I know that feeling - you think "oh he's feeding every two hours so I must be getting two hours sleep"

WRONG - He's feeding every two hours, it's taking you an hour to get the food down him, then 10 mins to settle him to sleep so you're only getting 50 minutes!!

Who are we kidding?!?!?!

And don't forget the nappy changes as well..

My baby seems to be taking ore in the day though and less at night. She still feeds every 3 hours, but is quicker about it at night now that I'm feeding her more in the day (at first she had me up all night because I didn't know to wake her during feeds or that she needed feeds every three hours!).

Katie's feeds take between 10 mins and half an hour, although mostly now during long feeds she breaks for a quick rest and/or nappy change.

yeah Nathan feeds every 3-4 hours but it takes me at least 1 hour to feed and wind him. Plus in the night he probaly takes another half hour to settle back down where he keeps me awake with his grunting.

Hiya

I've moved this to the Feeding and Nutrition section, as "Ask a mum" is supposed to be more for pregnant moms asking about stuff :)

Shaz said:
Hi Girls

You know when people say "my baby feeds every two or three hours"....

i'm confused because my HV wrote down that Connor is feeding every two hours, but it takes me about 45 mins to an hour to feed him so it's actually working like this..

8-9 - feeding
9-10 - sleep
10 - wakes for another feed

It's the same at night - so really am I feeding him every two hours or every hour?? Do I start the timing from when I start feeding him the first bottle to when I start feeding him the next??

Confused of Bristol...........

:think: is there any need to time at all. Just feed him when hes hungry :think: :D

budge said:
:think: is there any need to time at all. Just feed him when hes hungry :think: :D

Yes there is. Nobody told me that I should wake my baby to feed her. I thought their sleeping was important and was always told not to wake a sleeping baby, but Katie lost 11oz in three days. I almost killed my own baby, so I take her feeding patterns very seriously. Maybe it doesn't matter after the first week or two when the baby establishes its feeding, but is obviously important at first.

Icecream said:
budge said:

Yes there is. Nobody told me that I should wake my baby to feed her. I thought their sleeping was important and was always told not to wake a sleeping baby, but Katie lost 11oz in three days. I almost killed my own baby, so I take her feeding patterns very seriously. Maybe it doesn't matter after the first week or two when the baby establishes its feeding, but is obviously important at first.

my mw said for the first few weeks, that if she didn't wake in 4 hours to stur her and see if she was hungry. but not to at night

now alice tends to ask for food every 3 hours, but she is only taking between 4-5 oz.

Sam&Alice said:
Icecream said:
budge said:

my mw said for the first few weeks, that if she didn't wake in 4 hours to stur her and see if she was hungry. but not to at night

now alice tends to ask for food every 3 hours, but she is only taking between 4-5 oz.

I don't know about that. When Katie lost all that weight she was feeding plenty at night, but not much in the day.

Icecream said:
Sam&Alice said:
Icecream said:
budge said:

I don't know about that. When Katie lost all that weight she was feeding plenty at night, but not much in the day.

:hug: :hug: aww, must have been worrying!

and ive just read your origianal post. Im sure you didn't nearny kill your own baby, you are a fantastic mummy! babies need to get used to us, and viceversa :hug: :hug:

Hi

Kiara would only eat every 2-3 hours but her longest ever feed was 10 min i cant beleive some do it for an hour or more :? I hope im lucky again with this one :)
Katrina

Sam&Alice said:
:hug: :hug: aww, must have been worrying!

and ive just read your origianal post. Im sure you didn't nearny kill your own baby, you are a fantastic mummy! babies need to get used to us, and viceversa :hug: :hug:

If she'd of lost much more she would have died, 11oz is a lot for a smal; baby, and three days isn't very long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back