Confused about Dates

Charlie:-)

Reaction score
Well the big event I have been planning and working towards is looming closer each day but I'm confused about my dates.

Dating Scan at 12 weeks said my EDD was 21st May

When I started to see my Community Midwife she worked out my my dates on the little wheel thingy and my weeks change on a Monday (ignore my ticker its out by a day).

Now the 21st May is a Wednesday, the 19th May is the Monday. All my medical notes have been going by the number of weeks + days.

Which date do I go by?

Go with the later one and then you might not be as disappointed if you go OD! :rotfl:

My EDD according to my LMP is 5th May and according to dating scan it's the 10th May so I'm going with the later one and if I'm early then I'll be chuffed!

You go by the Scan date.
My Dates were changed by 2 weeks because at my 12 week scan baby was measuring 14 weeks, even though to get a 14 week baby, we hadnt even DTD at the point! :rotfl:

Have always been going by my scan date, but my ticker and all medical staff been going by my weeks.

I should point out that my original date from my LMP was 24th May, had scan and was told 21st May. When my MW saw the scan report she put the EDD into her little wheel thingy and said "so by that date I make you x number of weeks plus x number of days", which then meant my weeks and days changed on a Monday ??????? :wall:

usually go by lmp to predict rough edd - scans should only change the date if the difference is more than 7 days - a 'normal' pregnancy is 38-42 weeks so it is actually a due month - the date is only needed for things like working out how long overdue to leave someone safely.

my lmp date is 2nd May (but as it is a leapyear that changes to 1st may) my scan date is 26th April - so we are working to 1st May

inkpen said:
You go by the Scan date.
My Dates were changed by 2 weeks because at my 12 week scan baby was measuring 14 weeks, even though to get a 14 week baby, we hadnt even DTD at the point! :rotfl:
There is often confusion with gestational age and length of pregnancy - a baby of 12 weeks gestation would be 14 weeks from lmp and it depends whether the person reporting is usuing gestational age or pregnancy

Even more confused now :wall: :wall:

Think I will just leave things as it is, my ticker and all medical staff can go by 19th May and I will stick to an EDD of 21st May, at least that way it doesn't make my head hurt.

Aint too bothered about going over anyway, what will be will be.

Thanks for your help girls.

I swear my dates make NO sense whatsoever if i consider periods and hen we actually had sex so i gave up. The docs seem to go by my 12 week scan date (well 10 week 6 day) scan date so i guess i will too.!

I'd be intrigued to know exactly when i did conceive though! (as i was on the pill, lol)

BabyBee said:
I'd be intrigued to know exactly when i did conceive though! (as i was on the pill, lol)

Me too! I've always wondered if that affects the due date because I've been on the pill for about two years, so I have NO IDEA about my natural cycle!

My family have always had small babies (I was 5lb 6oz at 40+6 and my younger brother was 6lb 2oz at 40+10!) so if they go on measurements I would imagine they have 'misdated' me!

:think:

Until around 20 weeks babies all grow at roughly the same rate which is why measurements can be used for dating - up to that point the baby is developing all the relevant bits - after that the final size is determined by the rate of growth so scans cant be used as accurately for dating after 20 weeks

Your due date is a random date close to when you'll have baby.
The doctor put my due date at 27th April. The sonographer changed it to 26th April (it took me ages to realise why she was so fussy about a day - this is a leap year and their little wheel things for working out dates don't take that into account). LO was conceived on 6th August so my due date really should be 28th April :shhh: I want baby out as son as possible though so don't tell!!!

As people have probably noticed, I have two tickers.

This is because, my son - like myself- was born on my LMP due date....But was 40+3 by scan dates.

So, as I like to split hairs, just want to see when this baby is born (probably neither :) )

My hospital go by my scan due date. I think it's because the vast majority of us do not know when we ovulated. We just know our LMP and possiblt BD date. Only those who charted can be a little more specific.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back