Confused about "cheapie" tests

andreag

Reaction score
Hi all

I have been going through some of the posts and got a bit confused. Some people are saying that the cheapies are unreliable but is this that they give false positives, or false negatives, or both?

I has 10DPO on sunday and did one of the ebay cheapies - One step - which I think was positive. - the line was faint but definatley a line. I also then did a acon one which also positive - a bit stonger but also faint. I did another One step one this morning and it was a bit stronger. I thought I was definatley pregnant but now confused!
Please help :?

you very rarely get a false positive especially not that many times, thiink the problems have been with them giving false negatives. Congrats!!! :cheer: a line is a line as they say! :cheer:

if you are worried most people go and buy a cb or similar to confirm the cheapie result but it sounds to me like your pg! i used a cb digital and first response and they were both good.

hey andrea :wave:

The cheapie test arn't any different from the expensive ones, they both test for one thing (HCG) and either its present or not, therfore the chances of a false positive are very low. However a false negative is more likely as it depends on what level of HCG the test detects some are 10miU some are 20miU, so if you can be pregnant but just havent produced enough HCG for it to show on the HPT. Anyway put it this way, youve had 3 positives (it doesnt matter how faint) with a pregnancy test a line is a line and therefore a positive.
so all i have to say now is
CONGRATULATIONS
Your having a baby :cheer: :D

Thanks - I'm trying not to get too excited as it is so early and because of my low progesterone - I am seeing the doctor on friday about that anyway. I think she will be astounded if I say I'm pregnant as she doesn't think I'm ovulating (she doesn't hold much truck with my charts which indicate that I am).
I shall get another test on way home tonight and do it tomorrow - and keep my fingers crossed that the progesterone is OK. My temp have been higher than normal so I hope that is a good sign. :pray:

Hi

When i was ttc i have i bought loads of pg tests. On a clearblue i had a line at first showing i was pg which then went fainter and fainter over 36hrs. When i finally got pg i bought 3 asda tests and they come up ++ and got stronger...i would buy more of the cheapies if you think your gonna want to keep checking...

SARAH

PS I hope it is +_for you.

I think the "false positives" some people have had from the cheapies are normally due to reading the tests AFTER the allotted time ... and sometimes this will show an evaporation line ... this would look grey in colour, not pink. Also .... testing very early can sometimes show a BFP but some women will lose it again and therefore AF will arrive around the time it was due anyway .... Apparently this can happen to as many as 1 in 6 women and most of the time you don't even know it's happened! I would suggest that if you are getting BFPs and the line is getting darker you ARE pg!!! I would say it might be worth buying a CB too .... they appear to give clearer results from what alot of women have said on here!

As the others have said .... a line is a line .... all those things pick up is hCG .. and you only get that hormone when you are pg! So CONGRATULATIONS!!

GOOD LUCK with the test tomorrow ... :pray: Sounds like this is it for you :cheer:

I got my bfp on a cheapy. I didn't believe it until the 5th test!!! False positives pretty much don't happen unless you're taking hormone supplements.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! :cheer:

i agree with what everyone else has said and wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS :cheer:

Did the Asda test this morning and another cheapie and both were positive :D :D :D :D :D - the cheapie a darker line still than the previous ones. I think I'm starting to believe it now but don't want to get excited in case something happens :( . I thought I would be over the moon but I feel very anxious as I'm only 13DPO. Am I mad? :think:

:clap: :clap: :dance: :dance: Yeah ! ! Congratulation on all your BFP's :) easy to say but hard to do...but hey try and relax and enjoy your PG. :hug: Lv Yvonne xx

:clap: :clap: :cheer: :cheer:
yey! great news! congrats again! its very normal to feel anxious and worried hun, i dont think it stops now for the next 9 months! hope you have a happy and healthy pg x

just testing my ticker!!
Positive again this morning and now feeling really happy -
Thanks for all your kind words and support. This forum is the best
A

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member