Concerned :/

BabyGib09

Reaction score
The midwife came round the house today for our appointment and when she measured me I was only measuring 28cm. So she got abit worried that baby is far too small for being 35+1 wks and took me down the hospital where they recorded babies heartbeat for an hour and everything seemed fine with her heart rate. The doctor at the hospital examined me also and was also concerned about the size of the baby. I have a growth scan for monday..so guna be worried sick until then! What should I be measuring for 35+ wks?

BabyGib09 said:
The midwife came round the house today for our appointment and when she measured me I was only measuring 28cm. So she got abit worried that baby is far too small for being 35+1 wks and took me down the hospital where they recorded babies heartbeat for an hour and everything seemed fine with her heart rate. The doctor at the hospital examined me also and was also concerned about the size of the baby. I have a growth scan for monday..so guna be worried sick until then! What should I be measuring for 35+ wks?

Generally speaking, it's 1cm per week so at 35 weeks you 'should' be measuring 35cm. HOWEVER don't panic because:

1. All middies measure the fundal height differently so yours might have been measuring incorrectly.
2. There is a good friend of mine on this forum who measured teeny tiny throughout - and her baby was perfectly healthy (and arrived earlier than mine grr) though was obviously fairly small even at full term.
3. It's better than having a biff baby. I was consistently 3-4cm over the height I should have been and I had a big baby. It's not fun pushing one of them out I tell you.

Awwww, try not to worry. In my opinion they worry you more than necessary, last time they panicked like mad cos I was measuring big, so had a growth scan which was normal, then when my little boy was born he was a very small 6lb 5oz!

The measurement of your belly can change by the hour due to baba's position, i.e. if it's bum is sticking out you will measure more etc...

In answer to your question though, technically your womb should measure 1 cm for each week gestation so 35 weeks should be 35cm. but as I said, please try not to worry, babies also grow at different rates.

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Sorry for poking my head in........... :D

I measured small throughout my pregnancy. I was 35cms at 41 weeks. I had 2 growth scans and 3 hospital appointments. All said i was under average but nothing to worry about. When she was born she was a teeny, tiny 8lb 3oz! :lol:

Whenever Ive been measured I have been pretty much measured to date, but when I was measured by the consultant on Monday I was measuring to date but he measured to the bottom of my pubic bone rather than the top where the others seem to stop so I dont believe the measurements.
In fact, I think its wrong because my fundal height is 37cm but the baby is measuring (on a growth scan) a few weeks ahead - its stomach at 37+2 was measuring 42+5 so I think it shows that the fundal height has very little reflection on the baby's size

My fundal height measurements have been all over the place; behind, spot on and ahead. I'm now measuring a bit small but I'm not letting it worry me. The fact that at other times I've measured large says it all really. The different midwives I've seen have measured to different points. According to my maternity record, my bump has actually shrunk in the last three weeks. Can't say I've noticed tho' :wink:

I'm sure your little one is just fine :hug:

i knew someone who was small through out her whole pregnany, hardly had a bump at all, she had a growth scan at 38 weeks and was told baby wld be no more than 6lb!!!

anyway 2 weeks later she has her 8lb baby :rotfl:

try not to worry chick :hug: :hug:

Well we had the scan and everything was fine with placenta, bloodflow, cord etc. The only problem is that she's too small for how many weeks I am so I've gotta go into the hospital 3 times a week to monitor her and the consultant said its more than likely they'll book me in to deliver her 2wks early! So it looks like she's guna be a feb baby! Only 2wks away...better start gettin all of her stuff completely organised! :) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back