Combination feeding and amounts per feed - confused!

tinkerbell13

Reaction score
Hiya all, any advice would be brilliant. ... baba is 6 days old. We had decided that we wanted to exclusively breast feed, however during our stay in hospital (4 days) it was identified that baba has tongue tie. During the stay in hospital I was helped a lot with how to feed etc but unfortunately I could not get baba to latch on for more than 4-5 sucks before falling off the breast again! This was frustrating us both. (We are getting his tongue tie looked at in the hope he will be able to latch on and feed from breast) We then decided that I would express my breast milk and top up with formula. Initially we were told to feed him no more than 30 ml for first few days (which was fine as after day 2 I was able to express this quite easily) and top up with a small amount of formula.*

We are currently doing alternative feeds (breast milk, bottle, breast milk etc) I'm able to express around 60 ml breast in one session, however this quantity only sayisfys him for around 1-1.5 hours before he is wanting more. With the formula we are making up a feed of 90 ml (on advice of midwife) and he is currently wanting around 60 ml every 2 hours (or there abouts) but as said above this time can be an hour depending upon whether breast or formula.*

Does this sound right in terms of time scales and quantity? And also if it's normal for him to want feeding more regularly with breast milk? Hope that makes sense... any help would be greatly appreciated. ...Thank you x

Hi Tinkerbell, this is probably quite late, but I've just come across this thread, and wonder how you got on after a few months, since I'm also in a similar situation with having to combi feed after exclusive BF didn't really work for us.

I found this other useful thread: http://www.pregnancyforum.co.uk/combination-feeding/444530-20-bf-80-ff.html#post4140668

and have replied there with the details of the amounts we are currently using. I think I'll probably have to increase the amount of FF soon.

I'd love to hear your experience so far and how you increased the amounts / proportions of each to keep your LO healthy and growing happily.

Hiya, I'd forgotten about this post tbh. Unfortunately I can't share my experience with formula amounts / proportions of breast milk etc as we decided to have my lo' s tongue tie fixed, we had it done at day 7 and have been exclusively breast feeding ever since. X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back