Collapsing twin

Sal88

Reaction score
Hello

I had an internal scan today. They found one very healthy baby plus a small sack. It was half the size of the other. The doctor said it could be a collapsing twin but to come back in 2 weeks for another scan as it may grow and show as a twin.

Not sure how I feel. I know it's quite common to have a vanishing or collapsing twin in early pregnancy but most people won't know about it as it happens before the 12 week scan. I'd be over the moon if we were having twins.

Anyone know if it's normal for the second twin to be half the size of the other early on so doc unable to find heartbeat? I've been frantically googling it.

Sal xx

sorry i have never heard of this before. so pleased one of your babies is doing good, and will keep everything crossed that your other likkle baby will hang on in there :hug: :hug: :hug:

:hug: :hug: :hug:

The good news is that you have at least one healthy baby - and there is obviously a chance that the other baby could be well or they wouldn't have said that.

Imagine the next two weeks will be a difficult time for you - but we're all here :hug:

Is it possible that you ovulated twice and different times hence the 2 sacs?

I hope everything works out for you :)

Thank you all :hug:

I could have, I did suspect that I ov'd earlier than usual in Dec then forgot about it. Who knows. I'm just trying to concentrate on the healthy baby. I'll try and get the scan pic on here as it's really clear.

i'd love to see your pic. i'm currently trying to prepare myself for what i might see tomorrow.
sooo nervous!
i don't have any info on the twin thing, but could just be that it was like angel said xx

Sal88 said:
Thank you all :hug:

I could have, I did suspect that I ov'd earlier than usual in Dec then forgot about it. Who knows. I'm just trying to concentrate on the healthy baby. I'll try and get the scan pic on here as it's really clear.
thats the way to be love, as long as you and one baby is well thats great news, but i can imagine it will be hard waiting for your next scan, i will deffo be hopig for you, and can't wait to see your pic :hug:

i have no idea hun :hug: hope everything is ok though x

just to say, im in peterborough too!!! :D xxx

:hug: Awww hun, like BB said at least you have one healthy baby growing away.

I hope the scan does go well next time :hug:

bumblebee87 said:
i have no idea hun :hug: hope everything is ok though x

just to say, im in peterborough too!!! :D xxx

Ah Peterborough...

I used to work in John Lewis in Peterborough.

Sal88 said:
Hello

I had an internal scan today. They found one very healthy baby plus a small sack. It was half the size of the other. The doctor said it could be a collapsing twin but to come back in 2 weeks for another scan as it may grow and show as a twin.

Not sure how I feel. I know it's quite common to have a vanishing or collapsing twin in early pregnancy but most people won't know about it as it happens before the 12 week scan. I'd be over the moon if we were having twins.

Anyone know if it's normal for the second twin to be half the size of the other early on so doc unable to find heartbeat? I've been frantically googling it.

Sal xx

Hi Sal,

I suffered from vanishing twin syndrome when I went for a scan at 9 weeks. I had been told that I was pregnant with twins at 6 1/2 weeks. At my 6 1/2 week scan there were two babies with heartbeats and they were the same size. So early on I'm sure there is a chance that the second baby might still develop which is why the doc hasn't ruled viable twins out for you.

I wish I'd known the stats on vanishing twin syndrome when I was told it was twins. Between 20% to 30% of early diagnosed twin pregnancies result in only one baby by the 12 week scan. If I were you I would try and get your head round only having one baby for now and get psyched about twins if that's what you've got at the next scan

Sorry to be a bit negative, I really do hope you get 2 healthy babies but I wanted to share the stats with you so you are more educated about it than I was. It's a hard fall if you get attached to both babies and one doesn't make it.

Lot's of luck to you, feel free to PM me if you need to x

Thanks Ellie, not negative at all, very helpful. I'm worried even if they do find twins at the 8 week scan that something will happen to one of them but I won't know until the 20 week scan. I am prepared for them to find just the one at the 8 week scan. I think I would be a little dissapointed and upset to think there was a possible twin but will be greatful if there is one healthy baby still in there.

Bumblebee - where abouts do you live then? I'm over near Dogsthorpe.

Sal xx

Sal88 said:
Thanks Ellie, not negative at all, very helpful. I'm worried even if they do find twins at the 8 week scan that something will happen to one of them but I won't know until the 20 week scan. I am prepared for them to find just the one at the 8 week scan. I think I would be a little dissapointed and upset to think there was a possible twin but will be greatful if there is one healthy baby still in there.

Sal xx
im in eastfield x

bumblebee87 said:
Sal88 said:

Sal xx
im in eastfield x

Just round the corner, I'm off of Newark Avenue, in the load of houses next to the college playing fields.

xx

Sal88 said:
bumblebee87 said:
Sal88 said:

Sal xx
im in eastfield x

Just round the corner, I'm off of Newark Avenue, in the load of houses next to the college playing fields.

xx
oh wow, youre literally just up the road! how wierd is that!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back