• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

colic... i guess

charlotte_

Reaction score
zach's started crying at night for no apparent reason. he's been changed, fed, he's not too hot/cold. is it probably colic? my MIL seems to think so, so she reccomended a bottle of warm water, failing that she bought me some gripe water & infacol.

i tried the warm water & infacol, but to no avail (he spat up most of the infacol, the look on his face was so funny, but i'm guessing he hated the taste!) i didn't try the gripe water yet, because it said not to until babies are a month old. he was doing so well, he was only waking once in the night! i'm sooo tired :( help!

I owuld have thought hed be bad 24/7 with colic not just at night but im not 100% as ive never had a colicy baby. Unfortunatly some babies just dont sleep well at night, maybe its a growth spurt or something hun, sorry i cant be more help though :hug:

Yeah colic does happen most in the evenings or nights usually, Becky's hours of doom were between 6pm and 10pm when she'd cry solidly. I would keep trying with the infacol, you need to use it consistently for it to help but we never really saw a change with it. We found that the best distraction was giving her a bath because it just soothed her so much.

Have never heard about giving warm water, would have thought that would put LO off feeding? Hopefully the girlies who bf can give you some more advice there :hug:

It ends as quickly as it starts, honestly! :hug:

sounds like colic which is more common in the afternoons and evening.

keep going with infancol if possible, if you squirt it into the cheek you may have more luck.

Sandi

the infacol takes a while to work- about a week.

does zach have a dummy? i found that evie was calmer with a dummy or biting down on my finger.

a warm bath is always good

it does get better- i remember i thought it was neverending but at 12 weeks it just suddenly stopped :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Mel&Bean said:
I owuld have thought hed be bad 24/7 with colic not just at night but im not 100% as ive never had a colicy baby. Unfortunatly some babies just dont sleep well at night, maybe its a growth spurt or something hun, sorry i cant be more help though :hug:

Hiya hun, this is what my HV told me.. alot of people think that a crying baby in the evening is colic but if it was "true colic" they would cry all the time (her words) Ollie is the same and is a nightmare for a couple of hours in the evening but the HV said it was normal and they will grow out of it.. just keep jigging him up and down whilst standing (thats what works for us)

Claire x

Calum's started being like this and my mum suggested that it might be that he's over-stimulated during the day and to try putting him upstairs to sleep during the day as it'd be quieter (especially with our 3 yr old around). She said my brother was really bad for crying non-stop in the early evenings and the only thing that had an effect was putting him to sleep upstairs. So far it seems to be working for us so it might be worth a go for you?

Nori's HV and mine would disagree :lol: :roll:

Colic often is said to occur more in the evenings. There is no actual specific with colic, as some people refer to 'colickly episodes' others just 'colic'.

If your LO is unhapy, pulling up his legs and crying it probably is along the lines of colic. Trapped wind needs to find a way out so you can try a number of things. Infacol (given before each feed) often helps. It needs a few days to start working so stick with it. It helps if you get the dropper in the cheek or on the back of the tongue so not so much is spat back out. Then pop LO on your boob asap after so it gets swallowed. Infacol works by making all the small gas bubbles form into one larger bubble so as to be easier to burp up.

Wind after feeding. Also try gentle rocking of the legs up and over (while LO on his back). Bring his feet gently up over his tummy as it will help wind at the bottom end. Also read up on tummy massage as that can help. Holding baby over your shoulder and swaying or rocking can help also.

Another good thing that we found worked really well and would stop our LO from screaming was to bath him in his Tummy tub, so he was upright and the water came up to the top of his chest. Always, always we would get wind up then and he would become calmer.

Your LO is still young for a dummy but you can try letting them use one. Sucking helps soothe colic but not sucking on the boob as this just makes it worse as it fills tummy with food. I'd advise if you do use one to only use it during the colicky episodes and to get a nipple shaped one, not a flat one. I used NUK ones as they are nipple shaped and will help avoid nipple confusion. Also they will be a more familiar shape to a BF baby and chances are your LO will take it easier should you choose to use one. IT can really help with colic. I found it a lifesaver with my son thats for sure.

Also rocking, gently boucing in a bouncy chair etc are all good things to try.

Also in breast fed babies colic tends to disappear around 12 weeks when babys gut matures. You may hear your LO's tummy gurgle away but this is normal while still small.

Hopefully something there is of use to you :)

thanks a lot sherlock, and everyone else! some of this stuff will be getting put to use this evening.

Awww Lola-Mae has started again with colic! :( Now it comes around 11pm till about 2am! Poor girl! Well the last two nights shes been ok from about 12.30-1am so fingers crossed its getting better and she will settle again soon!
I agree with Sherlock and I disagree with Nori's HV too! Although colicky babies may cry in the day time, mosy cry in the evening! Dummies are great for helping them! I bounce Lola-Mae gently on my knee or stand and bounce her! The only thing that helps the poor girl! Its heartbreaking :( But it will pass :hug: :hug: :hug: Oh amd warm boiled water does also help Lola too! Gripe water is great but yes when they are over one month! :D

lea m said:
Awww Lola-Mae has started again with colic! :( Now it comes around 11pm till about 2am! Poor girl! Well the last two nights shes been ok from about 12.30-1am so fingers crossed its getting better and she will settle again soon!
I agree with Sherlock and I disagree with Nori's HV too! Although colicky babies may cry in the day time, mosy cry in the evening! Dummies are great for helping them! I bounce Lola-Mae gently on my knee or stand and bounce her! The only thing that helps the poor girl! Its heartbreaking :( But it will pass :hug: :hug: :hug: Oh amd warm boiled water does also help Lola too! Gripe water is great but yes when they are over one month! :D

Sounds like my HV is crap. Sherlock is like another HV anyway! :)

I've sent my OH out for some gripe water. Should i only use this now or still use the infacol aswell?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back