coats and blankets in june???

trixipaws

Reaction score
people at work and stuff have been telling me i need to get this and that for when LO arrives, and i was verrrry surprised when they said i needed coats and fleeces. i'm due in early june- do we all remember last june during the world cup, how blahdy hot it was??!!! LO wont be able to say, "mummy, i'm too hot in a coat!" and i'd hate her to feel all faint and thirsty and horrid like you do when youre too hot! but they all insisted that babies like to be wrapped up warm, no matter what the weather.

surely babies have the same body temperature as adult humans and feel the heat just the same? or am i being really dumb?!!

Dylan is due late April and I have boguht him a newborn coat and one for 0-3 months...

I guess that if it is boiling hot then your LO wouldn't want a coat.I have some hand knitted cardi's for if it is warmer but remember when you are out walking they are just sat there and if its windy, they may get cold...These are my thoughts not anything I have read so people may well disagree with me.

When my daughter was born, i had knitted cardi`s and coats. most of which was worn in the evenings or if we went out and it wasn`t boiling hot.

I would maybe post this question in the 'Ask a mum' section too (if you haven't already) for those mummies who had babies last summer.

I guess one coat, and a few blankets might be helpful just in case - cool evenings or as Cloud said, if its windy out and baby is just being pushed into the wind....I wouldn't say a quilted jacket, just maybe a normal jacket......do I make any sense :lol:

Sorry can't really help.... :hug:

There is a snippet of info here...

http://www.lpch.org/DiseaseHealthInfo/H ... armth.html

Also useful....

The right temperature
Babies can’t control their own temperature very well. It’s just as important to stop your baby getting too hot as too cold, because overheating is known to be a factor in cot death. Here’s how you can keep your baby ‘just right’:

* Keep the room where she sleeps at a temperature of between 16°C and 20°C (61°F and 68°F). If you’re comfortable in the room wearing light clothes, it’s warm enough for a sleeping baby
* Don’t cover your baby’s head when she is indoors and don’t put your baby to sleep in a hat
* It’s not safe to use a duvet, quilt or pillow for your baby until she’s a year old; use sheets and blankets instead, that way you can add and remove layers more easily
* If the room is hot, keep her clothes or bed covering light.
* Don’t put your baby to sleep in front of a fire, by a radiator or heater, or by a very sunny window
* Keep the room in which she sleeps at an even temperature so that you can put the right number of blankets on when she goes to bed and be confident that she will remain comfortably warm all night

Room temperature
The ideal room temperature for your baby is between 16°C and 20°C. Below this temperature he will be too cold and above it, he will be too hot. Room thermometers are available post-free for £2.75 from the Foundation for the Study of Infant Deaths on 0207 233 2090.

* To check if your baby is too hot, look for sweating or touch the baby; don’t worry if her hands or feet feel a little cooler than her body, that’s normal.
* Never use a hot water bottle or electric blanket for a baby.
* Never place baby’s cot near a radiator or in direct sunlight – he could overheat.

My first baby was born i the middle of July and all we used were the odd cardy if we went out in the evening and a couple of cotton hats. When it was really hot she just slept in a vest at night.

Hi,

All my babies have been born in the summer - dd in July, ds1 in August, ds2 in May, and this one is due start of June.

I would say definitely get a coat and fleece. The british weather is well known for having it's bad days in the summer, and so you will need them. And as someone else says, if you are out and about in the evenings you will need them then too.

HTH

Heather x

I too am a little confused with keeping baby's temperature trixipaws, and our LO is expected early June. My brother's g/f had a baby in October, and everytime we go over I sweat lots because it's so warm but he always seems very happy about it, so I think good advice above to ask in the Ask A Mum section hehe

Sorry I cannot help, I am in the same boat as you as it were :hug:

I'm also thinking of getting one of these;
http://www.jellybabys.co.uk/thermometer-egg-p-341.html
It seems a very quick way of checking a room for the right temperature, though think I'll check the Pregnancy & Baby Product Reviews before buying one :)

My last little one was born in the July of another hot summer. She never wore more than a very light cotton cardigan thing. Lived in virtually nothing, and slept in just a nappy all summer. If we'd had a coat, it wouldn't have been used..... but having said that, the one thing you can count on with a British summer is it's unreliability. Look at last August- it was cold and rainy and horrid- but June and July had been like we were in India! No way to tell, so maybe it's best to be prepared... that's what Ebay's for, isn't it??

TM

redshoes

we've got one of those eggs ...They are £19.95 from mothercare so actually cheaper than that site if you don't pay poastage..I like it as it is simple too

I wondered this as well, as i'm due at the start of july. I bought a couple of light cardigans in Primark and they were a couple of quid each - so no loss if they never get worn. I didn't think I'd need a fleece or a coat though, but reading this I should prob rethink - I have definately seen some very reasonable fleeces in one of the hundreds of shops I have looked in..........

cloud9 said:
redshoes
we've got one of those eggs ...They are £19.95 from mothercare so actually cheaper than that site if you don't pay poastage..I like it as it is simple too

Thankyou for letting me know cloud9 :cheer:
I shall now certainly be popping in there before buying on line, best wishes :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back