cold baby.. scary :(

leckershell

Reaction score
Over the last couple of days Ryan has been really cold at points (all over, not just hands and feet) and really unresponsive. Scarily so.

I tried to wake him on Monday night (we were worried because he hadn't woken for feeding) and even after moving his arms around he was pretty lifeless and wouldn't wake up :(. I picked him up, scared out of my head, and he was just about awake, but very quiet and yeah, cold. So I fed him in our blanket and covered him in the duvet for a few minutes until he seemed himself again :(

Yesterday evening I went out to vote and because Nat wasn't home yet and I was bored, I took Ryan out in the pram with me. It was a bit windy but not overly so.. and when we got back into the house I wheeled the pram in, went into the kitchen to take my coat off and when I got back to the pram he was staring blankly, not responding to us, and absolutely still. Again it took him a few minutes to sort himself out.

I hope I don't sound like a bad mother.. our house errs on the warm side if anything but he's never underdressed - he was in his full clothes on monday night (fallen asleep like that so we didnt change him into babygrow) covered in blankets as usual, and in the pram he had big wooly hat on, fleece coat, and fleece blanket wrapped all snug around him and tucked under his legs and feet.

When we went to the doctors I mentioned his monday night coldness and she didn't think it was anything to worry about. I'm so worried for him, he gets so unresponsive and it's horrible. It's been twice in the last couple of days and I know I can't be doing anything wrong because he really is wrapped snug as a bug, I'd rather he was too warm than too cold cos he soon screams about it, not lies in silence. It sends a chill down me when he won't wake or move, it is so so scary I had problems sleeping last night after the pram thing because I was so worried about him and if he was cold or not, I kept checking on him that his blankets were still covering him :(

I don't know how to make it better other than dress him more.. but it seems excessive and then he'd be too hot.

Oh, leckershell, hun; I would be taking him into the hospital if i were you - and i dont think of myself as a person who becomes alarmed easily. I think i would take him in and explain what is happening - insist on tests or SOMETHING. :shock: It sounds very scary, I would rather the doctors thought of me as a pain in the a**e than not take him in. That is what they are there for :hug: :hug:

Let us know how he is

Lisa

That's why I mentioned it to the GP, and she didn't think anything of it :(

Oh, hun I think i would still persevere and talk to the hospital or another doctor...

:hug: :hug: :hug:

hope you can work out why it is happening soon,

Lisa

Where is it on his body he goes cold? I know babies nearly always have cold hands but then if you feel their chest it should be warm. When Isaac was little he used to do that lying still unresponsive thing. It frightened the bloody life out of me a good few times. I would walk in his room and he would be still just staring at the ceiling, I would go to rouse him and he wouldn't move atall, even his eyes. I remember how it feels when it happens, your heart jumps into your throat then before you know it they have snapped out of it.

I'm not telling you its normal so if you are concerned I'd get a second opinion but it does sounds very much like what Isaac used to do.

Hope everything is ok :hug:

Lou :)

Hi me again. Have you looked into the possibilty that Ryan might be missing a breath? I remember my sister telling me about it a long time ago. Apparently it can cause a babies temperature to drop. Some people buy breathing monitors to check their babies breathing. I've heard about babysense monitors before.

Just a thought, might be nothing but I just wanted to tell you.

Maia had something very similar happens when she was 12 weeks. She wasn't cold, but she went floppy and unresponsive and was barely breathing. We rushed her to hospital and by the time she got there about 10 minutes later she was back toher normal self.

They did an ecg on Maia to rule out a heart condition, and it was normal, its never happened again.

If it happens to Ryan again take him to hospital, better to look like a paranoid parent than be sorry.

x

Definateley get a second opinion!!!!!!!!!
And if it happens in the meantime........A&E
Better to be a little embarressed than to be in mourning

have to agree with the others. Get it double checked.

Hi L I would definietly get him checked, trust your instinct not that of the doctors, :hug: :hug:

I agree, better to get a second opinion, at least it will put your mind at ease.

:hug: leckershell :hug: As others have said I would go straight to A&E next time it happens,
just to ask questions and get some answers, it is odd behaviour,
and its scaring you so you need to get it explained :hug:
I do know some babies, and adults, sleep with their eyes open, could it be that?
It would explain the 'symptons', worth looking into, very best wishes :hug:

I agree, better to get a second opinion then sit and worry about it happening again it must be so scary :hug:

DEFINATLY GET A SECOND OPINION..ESPECIALYY IF U ARE WORRIED WHICH U OBVIOUSLY ARE, HE SHOULDNT BE GETTING THAT COLD. PLEASE LET US KNOW WHO HE IS WILL U ?

BEST OF LUCK AND MANY HUGS :hug: :hug: :hug:

WHY AM I TYPEIN IN CAPS- GOD IM STUPID :cheer:

Yeah I'd really like to know how he is. I was really worried yesterday, I was searching the internet trying to find information which might help. I didnt find much.

Hope everything is ok

How is he today leckershell?

I don't have any advice but it sounds scary so I wanted to give you a :hug: .

Valentine Xxx

leckershell said:
Over the last couple of days Ryan has been really cold at points (all over, not just hands and feet) and really unresponsive. Scarily so.

I tried to wake him on Monday night (we were worried because he hadn't woken for feeding) and even after moving his arms around he was pretty lifeless and wouldn't wake up :(. I picked him up, scared out of my head, and he was just about awake, but very quiet and yeah, cold. So I fed him in our blanket and covered him in the duvet for a few minutes until he seemed himself again :(

Yesterday evening I went out to vote and because Nat wasn't home yet and I was bored, I took Ryan out in the pram with me. It was a bit windy but not overly so.. and when we got back into the house I wheeled the pram in, went into the kitchen to take my coat off and when I got back to the pram he was staring blankly, not responding to us, and absolutely still. Again it took him a few minutes to sort himself out.

I hope I don't sound like a bad mother.. our house errs on the warm side if anything but he's never underdressed - he was in his full clothes on monday night (fallen asleep like that so we didnt change him into babygrow) covered in blankets as usual, and in the pram he had big wooly hat on, fleece coat, and fleece blanket wrapped all snug around him and tucked under his legs and feet.

When we went to the doctors I mentioned his monday night coldness and she didn't think it was anything to worry about. I'm so worried for him, he gets so unresponsive and it's horrible. It's been twice in the last couple of days and I know I can't be doing anything wrong because he really is wrapped snug as a bug, I'd rather he was too warm than too cold cos he soon screams about it, not lies in silence. It sends a chill down me when he won't wake or move, it is so so scary I had problems sleeping last night after the pram thing because I was so worried about him and if he was cold or not, I kept checking on him that his blankets were still covering him :(

I don't know how to make it better other than dress him more.. but it seems excessive and then he'd be too hot.

take him to the doctors

Only just read this! :shock:

I agree with the others it's always better to get a second opinion! Even if it's just to set your mind at rest! :hug:

hey L hope ryan is ok, hav u taken him to a&e?
x x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back