co-sleeping advice needed

crackers24

Reaction score
I've heard that co-sleeping can cause cot-death and i've read the post on the research into co-sleeping. My little one is only 2 weeks old and she's slept with me twice and both times slept from 4am until 9am which i found quite surprising because i'm BFing her so i was expecting to be woken up at about 6/7am.

the MW/HV have said that i shouldnt co-sleep no matter what but i feel so much closer to LO and i feel it's great for bonding.

What should i do?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

there is no research to back up the claim that co-sleeping can cause cot death (the very name would suggest that), and the stats aren't there to back it up either. If it was the case then the human race would have been extinct a long while ago as it was only in recent times that it became the norm for the family to sleep apart. In those cultures where it is the norm SIDS rates are low. I have co-slept with both of mine from the start and as long as the guidelines are followed there is no reason why your baby should be at risk. In fact safe co-sleeping (i.e. neither parent has smoked, drank, taken drugs or is obese, firm mattress, away from pillows duvet etc) is actually thought to be very beneficial for baby.

Quite a controversial subject - current dept of health guidelines are not in favour of it. However, many breastfeeding experts are in favour as it is thought to have benefits to continued brestfeeding. Your HV and midwife are right to alert you to up to date guidance - that's their job. BUT if you do decide to co-sleep they should be able to provide you with info on how to make it as safe as possible. You should also never co-sleep if you smoke, take drugs or have drunk alcohol.

I co-sleep with Cooper and have done since he was born. I say if it feels natural to you as it did me then go with it. I follow all the guidelines and i know that i would never roll over on my baby. I BF and i really don't think i would of coped if Cooper wasn't in with me. I also don't plan on stopping it any time soon. There is quite a few co-sleepers on this forum plus there is quite a few threads on it if you do a search you should find them :hug:

we've co slept from the start. we don't drink, smoke or take drugs when we do it, and we're careful that connor doesn't get too hot.

if you're breastfeeding throughout the night, its most definitely the easiest way to stay sane - stick a boob in and go back to sleep ;) :lol:

We co-sleep. Twice I tried to put LO into her moses basket/crib and she was fine but it just didn't feel right for me :oops:

You may want to read a booked called: 'Three in a bed'. I found the following guidelines useful: http://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/sleep/ ... ingsafely/

I am lucky as my OH is in favour of co-sleeping. I was a bit concerned first, but honestly it's one of the best things I've ever done. Do what feels right :hug:

Deleted as no longer makes sense - due to previous posters reply being deleted

You do what you feel is right for your baby, me and OH coslept with caitlyn from 4am to about9am aswell and we allll loved it.

Co sleeping rocks :dance: you do what feels best for you darling. I think the trouble now a days is that HV have to stay neutral,I know whenever I ask mine a questioni always get "the guidelines say" It was such a breath of fresh air when my HV was off sick and I had an old school HV come and visit me she was 65, and was so to the point whenI asked her a question, and told me to do what I feel best and not to listen to codswallop!!

beanie said:
there is no research to back up the claim that co-sleeping can cause cot death (the very name would suggest that), and the stats aren't there to back it up either. If it was the case then the human race would have been extinct a long while ago as it was only in recent times that it became the norm for the family to sleep apart. In those cultures where it is the norm SIDS rates are low. I have co-slept with both of mine from the start and as long as the guidelines are followed there is no reason why your baby should be at risk. In fact safe co-sleeping (i.e. neither parent has smoked, drank, taken drugs or is obese, firm mattress, away from pillows duvet etc) is actually thought to be very beneficial for baby.

What she said... :)

midna said:
maria1976 said:
Co sleeping rocks :dance: you do what feels best for you darling. I think the trouble now a days is that HV have to stay neutral,I know whenever I ask mine a questioni always get "the guidelines say" It was such a breath of fresh air when my HV was off sick and I had an old school HV come and visit me she was 65, and was so to the point whenI asked her a question, and told me to do what I feel best and not to listen to codswallop!!

Old school for the win .. I too had a visit from one in the early days and I felt I didnt have to lie about co-sleeping lol..also the old school MW @ the hospital put seed in bed with me to aid breastfeeding and sleep the first horrific traumatising night.. I owe her so much.

When i was at hospital i had Cooper in bed with me feeding.. was 2nd night and he was on boob ALL the time (not that much has changed :D ) the MW kept coming in and telling me 'don't fall asleep' gave me the button to press so they would come and pop in back in cot when he'd finished, which they did but he'd just cry for more so i had to get him out to feed again. They kept coming in.. one even said i had to sit up she turned the light on on said i had to try the rugby hold and that this position would be a life saver when feeding during the night..lol..i've never used it once! Co-sleeping is brill, last night Cooper was on and off boob all night if it wasn't for co-sleeping i'd be a zombie today but i feel fine. Women should really trust their instincts :hug:

Ive co-slept with Ava since she was 12 weeks old, and have no regrets whatsoever, its the only way i can get a half decent nights sleep :D
the hospital also tucked Ava up in bed with me the night after i had her, :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back