Clothing Confusion....

ShadowWolf

Reaction score
I'm wanting to start properly buying clothes for my baba but I am soo very confused and I would love some advice!

1) Could someone point me to a good list of clothes that I need or write one down here?
2) I would love to know how many of each item I need as well
3) Something else that is confusing me is clothing age! Do I buy newborn stuff or 0-3 months? This is where the how many of each comes in as well....
4) Also (and this may seem just downright silly) but I'm confused as to what a baby would wear with what and when... For example, I have some all-in-onesies... would these be worn for bed time or just cold weather? Could I just keep a baby in all-in-onesies for a few months or do I need the short sleeved ones with no legs too? And what do they get worn with?!

So much stuff and it's a bit overwhelming! I've had so many people around me saying "you MUST get this" or "you dont need these" and none of them actually currently have or have recently had a baby!! :lol: I feel like I need a dummies guide with every little detail layed out, not just a list or random things as I dont know what half the things are or what they do! I probably sound really daft and you're thinking "oh my goodnees, they're letting this loony have a baby?!". I just wish I had someone close to me who could help but I dont! So i'm afraid you lot are stuck with me.... :oooo:

xxxx

i feel abit the same to be honest :( everyone here says buy all in ones but in sweden we sort of dress ouur Littleones in longsleeved vests and soft trousers so thats what i have bought most of.
I have mainly bought 0-3 month only a few little things for newborn. Sorry im not much of a help, but i will keep my eyes open here to get some answers :D

I got a question, in the moses basket im suppose to wrap my Noa in a babyblanket?! i have no clue what sort of blanket this is if someone that knows could please guide me :D

Ok here goes;
I have bought absolutely nothing in newborn only because I honestly did not use any newborn stuff with DD so I haven't bothered. But of course if baby is early or tiny then I'll need to pick up stuff then but I'm not going to do it now. We have:
5 0-3 all-in-one sleepsuits
5 0-3 pairs socks
4 0-3 romper (all in ones without 'feet') suits
4 0-3 pyjamas
5 0-3 trousers (soft camel, soft jeans, soft cords)
6 0-3 jumpers
3 0-3 dungarees
4 0-3 t shirts
4 0-3 outfit vests (vests that go under dungarees or trousers)

I still need bibs and hats. I boughtthe majority of these clothes as a bundle from eBay. I also need a couple of winter coats. I also have 2 sleeping (grobags) bags. I'll probably use sleepsuits during day as well as at night for first week and then go from there. We also have 3 blankets. You can buy 'swaddle' blankets from anywhere that sells baby things though we will just use a blanket in the Moses basket or a flat sheet depending on how hot/cold it is for first couple of weeks before moving on to the sleeping bags x hope this helps a bit x

thanks helen! what would i do whitout this forum :D

No worries guys x Pleased to help for once!!! c

Thank you - I've just started wondering about this very thing - this forum is great :)

Wow Helen 123, that's far more than I'm getting :blush:
I wasn't planning on buying newborn size clothes but when I saw that on Mothercare newborn is up to 10lbs(!) and I'm not expecting to give birth to a baby bigger than that.... :lol: I thought I should buy some newborn stuff!

I have got / ordered
newborn
7 pack short sleeve bodysuits (as base layer)
6 sleepsuits - with feet (as 'normal' layer)
1 velour snowsuit type thing (coat)

0-3 months
7 pack short sleeve bodysuits (as base layer)
6 sleepsuits - with feet (as 'normal' layer)
1 fleece snowsuit type thing (coat)

3 pairs of socks (not sure what size, as inherited them)
Also inherited some wool bodysuits but some are shrunk, so not sure what size
2 knitted cardi's (from Granny's)
2 knitted hats (Granny)
1 knitted mittens (Granny)
1 knitted booties (Granny)
5 pack bibs

My plan is just for the basics to start with, will probably get / buy more outfits at Christmas when baby boy is coming up 3 months. I've also gone with sleepsuits as it will be winter and am thinking the rompers are more summer wear.

Also got a swaddling blanket plus a swaddle pod for the first few weeks and a couple of sleeping bags for later on.

Last edited:
i still get all confused on buying baby stuff i feel iv got enuff then i think omg i havent lol.

Also i buy my newborn stuff from tesco,mothercare etc so its bigger sizes as asda newborn only goes up to 9lb and because i have big babas i need to make sure they go over 9lb incase babys big also if they are going to be long bigger sizes are better:) i brought alot of newborn with my daughter and because she was big none of it fitted so had to get people to go out and buy her 0-3 so this time i went mad on 0-3 :/ x

I think it depends quite a lot on the weather when you're due! My two spend most their at home time in just nappies atm cos it's far too hot! I think I'd have a newborn in just a vest! I was going thru a change of clothes every few hours with ella cos she was really sicky! And constant changed of bedsheets!

I was expecting to have a small baby first time so had lots of newborn stuff - she was 9lb12 and the mw actually laughed when she held a newborn vest up to her :lol: she went into 3-6 at 3 weeks as well! This time I got so much more use out of stuff tho!

i just had a look and i got so far:
newborn-3 month
10 vests (both long and short sleeved)
3 scratchmits
6 pyjamas
5 trousers
1 tshirt
2 hats
1 longsleeved top
1 thick cardi
2 all in one
9 socks
3 bibs
1 shoes
1 snowsuit

my mum has knitted loads of little cardies bless her and shes bought some bits aswell. But i will put noa in vests and trousers mostley.

for 3-6 month i got
4 longsleeved vests
1 hoody
2 trousers
3 longsleeved tops

I used to lay a muslin under Rosie's head when she was laying in her basket so if she was sick i could just change the muslin and not the whole sheet - sorry a bit off topic! :)

I did the muslin thing too! Ella used to throw up that much it went everywhere tho! I never really used muslins with katie, be couldn't be without them now!

Just read through this as I'm really not sure what I should be getting - v helpful thanks girls you're great xx

my advice - get the basics and see how you go. youll be inundated with gifts so youll always have something to put on baby and its not hard to even get someone to lift you a packet or two of vests or babygrows. i bought LOADS of whites and NOTHING was used lol not one thing it was a waste of money. i had a vest my sister decorated for bubs and a neutral sleepsuit and everything else baby wore was gifts cos no1 wanted to see her in white lol!! as for the hosp madison was 8lb1 and was in newborn for a good 3 weeks up until she was like 10/11/12 lbs so you should defo buy newborn even just one packet cos its nice to be fitted nicely lol and all them baby hats are crap cos they all too big lol i didnt really put hats on madison and she was fine and i never used bootees or mitts lol xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back