Cloth Nappies...??

Discussion in 'Baby & Toddler' started by Chezza, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Chezza

Chezza Well-Known Member

Afternoon Ladies,

Forgive my silly questions...but having never seen a cloth nappy, I have no idea how they actually work!

Can anyone please explain this for me?

2. AmyQ

AmyQ Well-Known Member

Ha ha where to start. Loads of differnt ones to chose from. The majority just look like a bulkier cloth version of a disposable. Some are all in ones (like a disposable) and some are 2 parts - cloth nappy and waterproof outer. Best place to start is the Go Real website or the Nappy Lady. Both have great advice. They are a lot easier to use than you'd think xx

3. HopesDreams

HopesDreams Well-Known Member

I've been thinking of giving these a go while at home until I get the hang of it. It's another bloody minefield though!

4. Chezza

Chezza Well-Known Member

Thanks Amy :)

I know HopesDreams - it's really confusing! Glad I'm not the only one struggling, lol xx

5. AmyQ

AmyQ Well-Known Member

See if you have a cloth nappy library in your area. You can also hire trial kits xx

6. talulahgosh

talulahgosh Well-Known Member

I have used cloth from the start. Disposables stink (literally)

I use Little Lamb bamboo nappies, they are two part napies, the inner absorbant part and then a nappy wrap on the outside. The inner part has the nappy part then a bamboo booster and a liner (either washable or flushable) in it, you put it on just like a disposable. Then put a wrap on over it. You don't need to change the wrap everytime you change the nappy, I use my wraps for three changes usually.

When I change my baby the dirty nappy goes in a dry nappy pail, then when I have a load then go in the machine, I do a cold rinse first then wash on 30 degrees and dry in the sunshine. I stuff my nappys ready with liners and boosters so they are ready to go when I need them.

I love them.

But not all nappies suit all babies, much like dispoables so I would try a few and find what works rather than spending a fortune on one type that may not suit your baby.

7. talulahgosh

talulahgosh Well-Known Member

Plus nappy wraps are cuter than anything pampers can create. My baby is currently rolling around in this http://www.funkymonkeypants.com/sweetpeacover.html the penguin print.

My nappies and bits cost £200ish, where i live a pack of 44 nappies costs about £15 so cloth has already more than paid for itself and my baby is only four and a half months old.