Christenings

xxbeckyxx

Reaction score
Ok, call me thick but I haven't been to a christening since my own! So what does it really consist of? What happens in the actual ceremony?
Any ideas of what the whole thing costs roughly?
Do you need to go to church regularly yourself beforehand like when you get married?
Basically I haven't got a clue, so any advice welcome! :lol:

thinking the same hun, have been to a couple that were very different so not sure would be nice to know x

Im going to call my local church and take it from there x

Hiya. I don't know what religion you are. I'm catholic so I'll tell you about my twos christenings.
With first, I knew the priest, had to go there one evening, say the godparents names to him, v briefly go through the service (approx 20 min max) u just say yeah, we will, we do etc a few times.
With my son, a dif church, we had to attend 2 2 hour christening classes. Same service etc. But they also wanted proof of at least one godparent being christened (which is crisply rather difficult trying to track certificates!) an hav a letter from at least one godparents parish priest recommending them! Never heard of any church doing this, I think ours is just extra!
U don't pay. But are expected to give a "donation" of about £50/£75?
Xx

i enquired about it C of E and there are two types a thanksgiving service where u thank god for your baby and "sponsors" (godparents) make promises to the child or a baptism where u make promises to god to help your child along there christiam path in our church u have to be confirmed so do the godparents and u have to have baptism classes and go to church regularly but think our vicar is very strict others in our area dont do this x

All you need to think of is

1.Which church-some say leave a donation and that normally covers it
2.Reception-Food wise
3.Disco-cost

I havent had one yet for my lil one but iam hopeing in the next few weeks to have one let us know how you get on

we're not having one as we're not religious and don't attend church (we had a civil marriage ceremony) and have decided we will take LO to different religious places of worship as part of his upbringing to teach him about different religions.
We went to a really lovely christening yesterday though. Kinda bit of a shame Owen isn't having one but we also thought about naming cermony but felt that wasn't us either. So I have no idea about costs etc. But the 'after party' (lol) was in a little church hall, they had made most of the food, few balloons, loads of baby and toddler toys there (lots of kids present) and a cd player with their tunes on. It was really chilled out and lovely

Have fun planning!!

xx

i was christened with the church of england thou i dont really follow the religioution but gonna get alisha christened but wont force her to do something she dont wanna do

Im having Matthew christened in 6 weeks in a c of e church, ive booked the church and the vicar came to visit to go through everything about the ceremony etc, just got to sort out the food etc for the party afterwards now, oh and outfits for both me and matthew!
XxX

Lily's is next week! Aaahh

She is being christened at the same church as I was which is C of E. All I had to do was contact the church and ask for a date. I was outside the parish area so I had to get a letter from the vicar of the church in my area to give permission for Lily to be christened there. I booked it all in February and a condition of that was to go to the Sunday service at Church every week. Not been too bad, as the church have a play area at the back and I just play with Lily there through it as I'm not the most religious person.

I booked a room and a lovely pub/restaurant around the corner and that, with a buffet for 40+ people has cost me £150. The actually ceremony didnt cost me anything. So with Lily's dress etc, and some extra decoration (balloons, cake etc) it's come to about £200 altogether.

Hope that's some help to you xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back