Chickenpox/German Measles/other nasties!

Crackers

Reaction score
Hi girls,

I'm after some advice. One of my friend's LO is at nursery where they have had an outbreak of Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease (I'd not heard of it before now!), plus Chickenpox "in the area". So far, her little one is fine but with both illnesses there is an incubation period. So my friend is now concerned about us seeing eachother for a while in case her LO is "incubating", and she somehow passes it on to me (we see eachother during working hours, I hardly ever see her LO).
How much do you think I should worry? Would you avoid your friend if you was in this situation? I've tried to say that maybe it's a little over-cautious to avoid eachother whilst her little one is fine, but she's worried about passing something onto me.

On top of that, my cousin's LO has German Measles. I had this as a kid, but according to my midwife my immunity to it is very low (blood test results). Can this only be passed on directly, or could my cousin (who doesn't have it) carry it and pass it to others..?

Argh...Am I just over-paranoid?!

hey hun i'venever heard of this hand, foot and mouth disease but i know chicken pox is a definate no no for pregnant women and it can be highly dangerous for you and LO german measles i dont know about because i had a MMR vaccine about 4 years ago so i presume i'm covered. speak to doctor if your worried xxx

Hand foot and mouth you have nothing to worry about. Its going round my nephews school too and my sister asked her GP as she is also preggers and its fine.
add-we had hand foot and mouth when we were younger so i don't know whether this would make us immune to it. You should probably ask your gp about it.

If you haven't had chickenpx before then you need to stay away.

Not too sure about german Measles-i assume its just as bad as chicken pox so would stay clear of that too.

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies girls.

Turns out the "german measles" was actually an allergic reaction to something! Doc has sent her off to school.

I have had chicken pox in the past, but I also had german measles and as my immunity was low for that and midwife suggested MMR after bubs is born, I'm a bit concerned my immunity could be low for c'pox too?

Am off for my flu jab this afternoon, so will mention it to doc then.

Thanks for your replies girls.

Turns out the "german measles" was actually an allergic reaction to something! Doc has sent her off to school.

I have had chicken pox in the past, but I also had german measles and as my immunity was low for that and midwife suggested MMR after bubs is born, I'm a bit concerned my immunity could be low for c'pox too?

Am off for my flu jab this afternoon, so will mention it to doc then.

ring community midwives and ask them for advice i did with my last pregnancy as my best mate little boy caught german measles and i had lots of contact wwith him before it broke out and was really worried!! so called them and she said not to worry as the risk of catching them and causing harm is the same risk as not being in contact with someone who had them!! if that makes sense :)xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back