Panicking!!! Niece with suspected measles...

Julia

Reaction score
My mother in law has just phoned me to tell me that they think my niece has measles. Me and DH babysat for her on Sunday Night (it is now Friday). Should I be panicking? I am seeing the midwife on Monday and will obviously tell her. When I had my blood test back a couple of weeks ago , the only thing detected was the fact that I am rhesus negative - would it say if I wasn't immune to measles? HELP PLEASE!!!!

in my notes at the back i have all the results of the blood tests i had done, the MW stuck them in at my last appointment. look for anything that says "haematology" or "microbiology", then see if there is indicated whether there are antibodies present in your blood for rubella (german measles). if you have these antibodies you are immune - most adults in the UK are immune to measles as they have either had it or been vaccinated as children.

in my notes this is stated on a separate sheet, under the category "microbiology", and reads: "Rubella antibody present"

i do know there's a difference between measles and german measles though i am not sure... looks like i was only tested for rubella (german measles).

clarify it with the MW just to be sure! :D

i googled, and found this:

Ordinary measles (or 'red' measles) is a highly contagious virus, also called 'rubeola', but is different from rubella or German measles. Ordinary measles is spread by the infected person coughing and sneezing, or coming in contact with their contaminated items (such as tissues, drinking glasses or soiled hands). The person is infectious from the first symptoms until about 5 days after the rash appears. They then have lifelong immunity.

The incubation period for measles is about 7 to 14 days, with an average of 10 days for early symptoms, and the rash appearing 4 days later. The person is infectious from the first symptoms, about 3 to 5 days before the rash appears, until about 4 to 5 days after the rash appears.

Physical signs

Most adults are immune to ordinary measles. Non-immune adults and children may experience fever, sneezing, tiredness, runny nose, slight fever, dry cough, headache, sore, red watery eyes, followed by a blotchy, red rash that starts on the face and inside the mouth, then spreads down towards the feet until the whole body is covered (taking about 36 hours). The rash turns brownish, then fades after about 5 days. About 3% of people develop pneumonia or ear infections and about 0.1% develop and infection of the brain (encephalitis), which may be life-threatening.

Effects on pregnancy and the unborn baby

Ordinary measles does not cause abnormalities in unborn babies (like rubella). However, it may increase the chances of miscarriage, low birth weight or premature birth. If the mother has measles close to the time of the baby's birth, the baby is at risk of being infected.
hope that helps - it seems it's rubella they woeey about the most when it comes to pregnant women.

Hi Julia,

Did you have measles as a child? They test your blood for rubella and if they couldn't detect it they should have told you. Have you got your notes? It says if it was found or not on the results of your blood tests.

Measles are highly contagious so if your niece def. has got them & you're not immune get yourself to the docs pronto hun.

I found this on the net, all the sites say pretty much the same thing -

Rubella (German Measles)
If you plan to become pregnant for the first time, you should check to see if you are immune to rubella before becoming pregnant. See your practice nurse for a 'pre-pregnancy' blood test. Most women are immune to rubella as they have been immunised as a child. However, childhood immunisation is not effective in every child and you may not be immune. So, if you are not immune, you can be immunised. (But, you should not become pregnant for one month after the injection, and ideally until your immunity has been confirmed by a further blood test.)

The rubella virus causes a mild illness, but can seriously damage an unborn baby, especially in the early stages of growth. So, until you know that you are immune (from the result of the blood test), you should avoid anyone who has rubella, especially in the first 16 weeks of pregnancy.

Try not to worry tho. hun, we are genarally protected against it as kids & you don't know for sure if she has got it yet, when will you find out for
sure?

Nicki.xx

Thanks Girls - you are all so lovely,

I have phoned back my mother in law after doing some very quick research. She said that my niece only had the rash on her torso and not her face, arms or legs (it says that it starts at your face first). Her glands aren't swollen (they would be with measles). I am just trying to reassure myself. She is going to docs tomorrow so he will state whether it is or not. My husband says it sounds more like an asthma rash rather than measles. I have my fingers tightly crossed. I don't feel ill or anything either......
Thanks for your helpful replies - you are all soooooo good and caring xxx

Thank gawd for that, doesn't sound like the measles. Pheww. had me panicking for a bit there!! Let us know what the outcome was.
I'll keep my fongers crossed for you just incase.

Nicki.xx :D

i have to keep away from anyone that has measles etc
as im not immune to it
i have to have the rubella jab after each baby is born
so my youngest whos at primary school the head teacher knows to keep me informed if theres anyone with suspected rashes

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back