chicken pox

mummytoben

Reaction score
Hi
just wondering if anyone has some advice about chicken pox. My 4 year old had a couple of spots on his back last night & then when he got up this morning he had them all over his back, tummy and the odd few on his face. I am 39 weeks pregnant today & have had chicken pox when I was younger, but I am worried about what happens when she is born? I have read up that they are contageous for 7-10 days after spots appear. How long does a newborn have the mothers immunity for after birth? and if I deliver early does she have a chance of catching them?

Sorry for all the questions, but i'm worrying myself silly now.

Thanks
Vicky

P.s also dh hasnt had them so if he gets them now he won't be allowed to come into the hospital when I go into labour!!! :doh:

oh nooo what a nightmare I think you probable need to speak with your gp or mw but I was always under the impression that they were contagious for the 21 days prior to the spots appearing so you might be in the clear. I really hope your hubby hasn't picked it up oh god what bad timing eh!

Chickenpox are contagious before the spots come out to show and it can cause miscarriage in a pregnancy, not sure about later on. I would definately call your midwife and see what she says.

Aw bummer!

Mason had them when I was pregnant but I wasn't that close to delivery. I'm sure my MW told me the baby would be protected for a few weeks even after birth, but obviously I'd say ask your own MW.

Let us know what she says.

Hi

Thanks for our replys. I have been on the phone to midwife & health visitor today & they all said we should be ok, the baby is immune (as i've had them) for upto a few weeks after birth. I am so relieved.

Thanks again

Vicky x :D

Hi

Glad things are gonna be okay , takes a load of worrying off you
Katrina

Glad mw has been able to reassure you - I hope your DH doesn't get them hun :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back