Chicken Pox

HannahBubble7

Reaction score
Hi ladies ! I am really hoping some one can help me out . I am 33+5 pregnant and just found out my nephew has chicken pox (he is 3). I spend 2 days a week with him so Thursday being the last day I seen him . When my mum spoke to my SIL she said that it is only today he has been not well. I don't know why but I seem to have in my head that it can be harmful for me and/or the baby. I have had chicken pox when I was little so if I wasn't pregnant I wouldn't be worried. Does anyone know anything about this or been in a similar situation ?
Thanks in advance !
Hannah xxx

Hi hunni from what i remember your safe at this stage of pregnancy its only dangerous during the 1st trimester i believe,

Give your mw a ring and settle your mind tho xxx

Thank you very much :) ! I see her on Thursday anyway so will bring it up then xxx

Think as long as you have had it already then you already have a certain amount of immunity, and it is most harmful in the 1st tri. I had the same panic recently as my husband came down with shingles but midwife said cause I'd had both chickenpox and shingles it wasn't too much of a problem. Give her a quick call and check to be on the safe side.

As long as you have immunity you should be fine, although it is possible to get it more tthan once, so definitely mention it to your midwife. They will do a blood test to check your immunity if they are worried. I don't think it's as dangerous in Tri 3 though. Xx

I think it depends on your immunity. I used to work in a nursery and one year we had quite a bad outbreak of chickenpox, one of the mums was pregnant who had a 3 year old who got chickenpox (not sure how far she was) but I remember the LO being born with chickenpox but saying that she was obviously with her older child 24/7 while she was unwell and during the incubation period so if she hadn't had chickenpox herself she was bound to get them. Speak to your midwife she should be able to reassure you. I was in a similar situation a few weeks ago my neice was suspected of having measles so I kept well away until she was given the all clear.

I had a asimilar situation before Christmas woth best friends LO - we checked with the doctor - if you have had chicken pox then you are immune to it, and seeing him will not put you in any danger.

It is only dangerous if you haven't had chicken pox (like me) where there is a risk of catching it, as it is an airbourne virus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back