Changing Maternity Leave

Funkylady

Reaction score
I have already handed in my official notification as to what maternity leave I intend to take, however, I have since decided that I would like to extend it by 1 week...

Is it acceptable for me to just go to my boss and ask for it, or can they refuse it as I have already asked for my official dates?

Will I need to provide new written confirmation?

Hope someone can help me.

Angela and bump x

Hi, you should be able to change it although im sure they will want it in writing..

i know if i wanna go back to work before my maternity leave runs out i haveto give them 8 weeks notice!

Yes you can change your dates so long as your giving enough notice. You'll most likely have to put it in writing and have it agreed by your boss but honestly they are usually pretty good, I think it's well known that heavily pregnant women are more than fed up and "useless" by the time maternity leave is rolling around. Ask, you never know but really I don't think they can refuse you...if they did just get the GP to sign you off sick that week earlier that way you get sick pay that 1st week then into SMP, DH works with a woman who's daughter has done exactly that!!

Nicola said:
Yes you can change your dates so long as your giving enough notice. You'll most likely have to put it in writing and have it agreed by your boss but honestly they are usually pretty good, I think it's well known that heavily pregnant women are more than fed up and "useless" by the time maternity leave is rolling around. Ask, you never know but really I don't think they can refuse you...if they did just get the GP to sign you off sick that week earlier that way you get sick pay that 1st week then into SMP, DH works with a woman who's daughter has done exactly that!!

Thank u both for your help

To be honest, Im a bit scared to ask!! eek!

xxx

If I want to change mine I have to give written confirmation with 4 weeks notice... but it should tell you in your maternity policy (which you should have been given before you went on leave.. :)) Even if it doesn't say you have to give written confirmation, I probably would anyway as then nobody can say you didn't do things properly.

leckershell said:
If I want to change mine I have to give written confirmation with 4 weeks notice... but it should tell you in your maternity policy (which you should have been given before you went on leave.. :)) Even if it doesn't say you have to give written confirmation, I probably would anyway as then nobody can say you didn't do things properly.

Yes, I think I might just write them a note then... officially.. instead of 'asking permission'. Been made to feel guilty enough already without asking for more weeks off beforehand. I hate this place!

x

I changed the date I started my maternity leave about a month before I left. It was easy to do, I just emailed my request to the HR lady at work, and she confirmed by email it was changed.

I think officially you need to give them a few weeks notice if possible.

:hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back