Changing hospitals going into 3rd tri

kabuk1

Reaction score
I'm 22 wks pregnant and will be moving an hour away from my current hospital at the end of the month, so I'll need to change hospitals. I wish we weren't leaving the area as I love my current hospital. Everyone has been great- mws and consultants.

My concern is that I have a scan scheduled 2 weeks after we move. I've been bleeding since I was 10 wks pregnant and have a low lying placenta, so I'm now consultant led and being monitored. As such, I have another scan scheduled at 28 weeks exactly. My current plan is just to make the trip to my current hospital then for the scan and change after that.

Has anyone had to change hospitals after the midway point of their pregnancy and was consultant led? I'm worried about changing before the 28 wk scan as I don't want to have that moved, and the new hospital may not have an appointment. Could I register with a new GP and contact the hospital about the transfer of care before that appointment and state that I'd like to keep my current appointment?

If anyone has any experience with this or advice, please do share. Thanks.

Just contact the new hospital and explain to them ask them what their policies are and how long it takes to book appointments if they want you to start doing things before you move or after and contact your current hospital to ask them about the appointment, see if they have any contact or will have any with the other hospital, how easy and quickly it goes to transfer your notes over and transfer your care. I'm sure if you emphasis that you're under consultant care and need to be continued to be monitored they should advise you if not pre book appointments. Good luck x

Hopefully the new hospital should sort you out pretty swiftly. I had to switch circa the 20 week mark as my local maternity services had shut down. I was under consultant care too but only because my first born was born tiny so I had scheduled growth scans through the third trimester. For me, the old hospital contacted the new one and then the new one called me to arrange a booking in appointment ASAP then a scan was booked shortly afterwards too.

Talk to them both and talk to your midwife too hopefully they'll be able to transfer you with relatively little stress.

Thanks. It's good to know that they can act swiftly. I'll get on that. I really hope it's all that smooth!

Hi Kabuk1, with my little boy (now 9 months) I had almost this exact situation happen, December 2015 I moved an hour away from the hospital I was being seen by, I was 27 weeks and due a midwife appointment and had been told I'd need a scan at 33 weeks as I was huge and baby had showed slight enlargement of kidney at 20 weeks. . I was consultant led due to previous birth involving highest grade meconium in my waters, distressed baby and eventual forceps in theatre delivery. Being Christmas time I registered with the local doctor immediately and explained situation and unfortunately the time of year meant I wasn't seen until 29 weeks. The midwife immediately had me seen the following week (30) by the consultant and they decided they would rather scan me at 31 weeks and booked me an appointment no problem. I was scanned another 4 times between that and actually giving birth. My experience was that changing hospitals so late was nothing to worry about - they took really good care of me and were very efficient at making sure everything the previous consultant had suggested he done was done. Just make sure your new midwife is totally aware of everything that has been discussed with you so far.

Oh and with my first I switched hospitals just about midway through and the new hospital decided I should just have my 20 week scan at the old hospital so I think you'll be ok to keep the appointment you already have x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back