change nappy before or after feed?

hayley

Reaction score
i know it's a silly little thing.. but it's causing me grieve... i used to change jacobs nappy before each feed... but he would scream and scream! the midwife said try changing him after a feed... i did and he was brilliant. Not a sound from him.. but lately he's been falling fast asleep after his feed - so when i change his nappy i disturb him... Trying to get him back to sleep is then taking longer and longer... which isn't too much of a problem though the day (i get to cuddle him longer) but at 4am in the morning it's become harder and harder...

just wanted to know which way around you all do it? feed first or nappy first?

also is it wrong to bath them after a feed? I try to bath him before his bedtime feed but sometimes he wakes early and crys till he gets it... so the bath gets forgotten about until after he's fed.

x

Don't know if this is of any use but I used to have to change Katies's nappy half way through her feed to wake her up a bit to get her to take the rest of her bottle so you could try this then you are not waking Jacob up after he has had his bottle.

Also we have bathtime before she has her bottle before bed unless she is really tired then I don't bother with the bath, I found that having a bath made her more hungry.

Just try to go with the flow I am sure Jacob will let you know if he is not happy with his routine.

i always changed sophies nappy before her feed cos i didnt want to wake her up cos she would nearly always fall asleep

I only change Brody's nappy when it needs doing, if he has a feed and is tired, I let him sleep, unless it's a pooey one :)
Same in the night, no nappy change unless it's bothering him or is poo.

i change ellis half way through too, cos if i did it before he would scream the house down... when that boy whats food he lets me know!!!! haha

but i have stopped changing him in the 3am feed, HV said it was fine cos the nappies are made now to keep the wee away from there bums, but if he did get a rash then just start changing him again.

how r u finding motherhood hayley? xxx

Night time changes were always a nightmare for me, so I know where you are coming from. I agree that unless it is a poo nappy, just don't change him in the night. If you use pampers baby dry they are supposed to last for 12 hours :)

We used to change him before a feed but now it does depend really, sometimes its half way through. As we use cloth nappies during the day we change it often anyway.
We use disposables at night as it stays dry where the cloth ones don't & he won't get changed as he's nearly always asleep.

if its in the day i dont mind doing it after a feed, but at night i change his nappy first because its the feeding that sends him back to sleep.
usually i always change first coz then if he falls asleep during feed then i can just put him down without having to disturb him for a change.

what i do with hayden when i'm changing him and hes crying (in the day) is try his dummy if he spits it out and carrys on i put the radio on loud and sing to him..it works everytime!!

I also was a bit confused about the whole thing, but Maheen let me know in her own way what was best for her! she was always poo during her feed, so I would change her either in the middle of it, or right after, but bizarrely, she would never poo during the night feeds, so I would not change her nappy, unless it's needed!

Now, Maheen is older and I have started to wean her, and she doesn't poo during her feeds anymore, she does it inbetween!
she gets 4 feeds during the day, and I change her after each, plus an extra one when she has done the evil thing :wink:

But I have to confess that sometimes, I went to change her, and her nappy was not wet, so I just put it back! she has never had red bum, so I guess it's been ok.

I would defo not wake him up to change his nappy! what the others have told you sounds good advice to me!

see how it goes, though, each baby is different!

Good luck

Mel xx

I take the lead from Isaac. He tends to fill his nappy during a feed so usually for us, we change it afterwards.

When he was very small we used to change him half way through his feed to wake him up as he was so sleepy. Now I only do that if I know he's filled it.

The Baby Whisperer book says not to change their nappies during the night. So we tend to bath him, put sudocrem on (the only time we use it unless he has a sore botty which he hasn't had since he was first born) and then feed him. The only time we change him during the night is if we know that he's got a dirty nappy.

The bath really gets Isaac ready for bed, he settles really well after his bath time feed for the night. Just wish we could get him to go through the night now - that will come in time.

It's best to try and do what suits your baby best of all.

When Isaac was first born the midwives told us to change him before his feed to wake him up as he was very sleepy for the first few weeks. But then we'd have to change him afterwards as well and he got a really sore bottom whilst we were in hospital. That's when we changed to post feed changes.

I tend to change after a feed as Isabella like Keely's Ellis goes beserk if she is hungry and wants her bottle.

I also wait to feed after a bath as she is more hungry and settles better for the night

same here too. i was so uptight about when to change her thinking i was wrong. but then i started to relax more and do it when it was needed. she has never had nappy rash either x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back