Cervical stitch placed yesterday

stephb

Reaction score
Hi,

Im new to the forum, Been hanging around for a while tho. Im 13 + 2 and yesterday i had a cervical stitch put in. I miscarried in april this year at 17 weeks so had been deemed high risk and was under consultant care. I had my 12 week scan on the 17th dec and my cervix measured 42mm and my second cervical scan yesterday measured only 18mm. So the op was rushed through yesterday. Everything went well up to now (touch wood) and im currently home on bed rest. Just wondering if anybody has had this and what to expect?. I havent been told very much about what i cant and can do. I have a consultant ap next friday so i am hoping to get more info off her.

No experience but hoping all goes well for you Xx

Sent from my shit hot phone! Fo shizzle home girls.

just wanted to wish you luck too , hope this sorts it all out, but make sure they answer all your questions before you come home - take a list with you, to save you forgetting any on the day

Hi,

Just seen your thread. I haven't had this done myself, but one of my best friends has twice. She lost her first baby at 23weeks-ish when her waters broke and she delivered still born. With 2nd baby she had cervical stitch put in at 15weeks-ish as a weak cervix was found to have been the problem first time round. She was told to rest for remainder of pregnancy and not drive or work or lift anything heavy, then had an elective c-section at 38weeks (healthy baby). Now on 3rd pregnancy and had stitch put in around 14weeks. Again, told to stay home and rest as much as possible. She can't lift her toddler or do housework or drive etc and is being checked every 3-4weeks by consultant. Will be having another c-section a couple of weeks before due week. She says it's all worth it and is doing lots of jigsaws!

Sorry I can't be more help. Best of luck with everything, and enjoy the excuse for a rest if you can!

x

My friend had this as her uterus was coming out of the cervix, she had a natural labour and no further problems x

Hi
I had a stitch placed last Wednesday at 14+3wks. Im currently 15+1wks now. My first baby arrived at 28wks after my cervix gradually funnelled and then because I had a low lying placenta this began to come away and slip into my funnelled cervix and so he arrived by emergency section. My little one is a lively 3yr old now!
So with this pregnancy I was told early on that they would want to place a stitch, which is now in and Ive been taking progesterone pessaries daily since 12wks.
I feel fine physically, just being a worrying pants about every twinge!
I was kept in overnight following the stitch and had period type pain for a good few hours once the spinal block wore off, but was fine 24hrs later. Ive not bled at all (touch wood) and had just (sorry tmi coming) bits of old pinky tissue in my discharge, which ive been told is debris from the stitch insertion. I was told to rest for 5 days after, which brings me to today and can go back to work tomorrow, but will take it easy. The dr discharging me from hospital told me not to have baths as these could start an infection and also no sex, which id be to scared to do anyway, I havent been told not to lift stuff, but will avoid it as much as I can and try to get as much rest as I can too. Id be interested to hear what your consultant says. I dont see mine until 20wks, which feels ages away!

Hi Danielsmum,
I'll be 19 weeks tomorrow:) so fingers crossed the stitch is holding. I'm not on any progesterone as my consultant didn't see the need for it. I was speaking to a lady on another forum and she said dif consultants prefer dif things so no biggy for me. Physically i feel fine just the odd twinge every now and again. Your discharge should just go clearer over the next week. Though its quite common to get loads more normal discharge with a stitch. I have been put on bed rest but my cervix had already shortened to 18mm before they put the stitch in. I would take it easy if i was you though. No heavy lifting, housework etc and drink plenty as dehydration can bring on contractions. I have a physical job where im on my feet 10 hrs a day as well so being signed off was the only option. I saw my consultant the week after my stitch at 14 weeks and wont see them until after my anomaly scan which is friday!:) So i can let you know any useful info they tell me. Also if they haven't told you if you have any concerns or are in pain or bleeding don't phone antenatal or EPAU you need to phone labor ward who will prob try and fob you off as your not 18 weeks yet but insist that you have a stitch and they will see you! Hope this helps you a little. I'll be on here 2moz if you fancy a chat:) xxx

Hi Stephb
Thanks for the info. Im a week on now and feeling really well. The discharge has stopped and all seems normal, mind you Im sure I can feel the stitch sometimes, a sort of mild pulling/stabbing feeling, usually when I stand up after sitting for a while. Im trying to take it easy, Im not doing much housework, only light bits and bobs and also having a 3yr old makes real resting tricky! Needless to say theres been lots of tv and dvd's in our house lately. Im lucky with work that Im in charge, so I can organise my day to suit myself and being office based Im sat down most of the day, so thats a big help.
You're right about different doctors having different opinions, when I was waiting to go into theatre for my stitch another doctor came along and tried to cancel it as I wasn't 16 weeks and in his opinion I shouldn't be having it done! I heard the same about progesterone, some doctors favouring it and others not. I think the same is with bed rest. My consultant told me to carry on as usual after the stitch, but i cant quite let myself!
Im glad your stitch seems to be holding and you're able to get plenty of rest, fingers crossed these stitches hold till 37 weeks and we can have a nice chubby baby in our arms.
I do find myself worrying through this pregnancy about everything, mostly about the baby coming early, I will drive myself round the twist!:roll:

Hi danielsmum,
How are you doing? Still holding up i hope. I feel my stitch all the time. Its usually a sharp pain that lasts a secong or an itchy scratchy feeling. I went for my 20 week scan 2 weeks ago and everything was fine. Saw the consultant after, i requested the steroid injections to mature babies lungs and he didnt see a problem in giving them to me.:) So i go back at just over 24 weeks. Other than that it was just like a normal midwife appointment. I also requested a section. I made a list of pros and cons to me having a section and showed him that and he agreed with me. I have previously suffered from massive blood loss after birth. My youngest i lost 500mls but after i lost my last baby at 17 weeks i lost over 2 pints of blood. I also suffer from very quick births, my last one being only an hour and want my tubes tied at the same time as the section.
I have heard that the injections hurt lol so i will let you know in a couple of weeks. xxx

Hi StephbGlad things are going well for you and the stitch is still doing its job! I'm good too, I'm 3 weeks post stitch now and all seems to be ok, I was able to feel it for the first week or so, but now I'm not aware of it at all. Interestingly I discovered a friend of mine who had 5 babies, had stitches with all her pregnancies and made it to 35 weeks plus with all 5, so that's reassuring!! I'm trying to take it easier, although having a 3 year old makes it a challenge sometimes! Fortunately my job is office based so I'm able to sit down and my lovely husband has taken some of the pressure off with the housework, so I can rest as often as I can. I've got my 20wk scan in a couple of weeks and also see my ob the same day, so that's my next milestone. I'm also going to have steroids at 26 weeks, I had them at the same point in my last pregnancy, I don't remember too much trouble with them, I think the injection may have been a bit uncomfortable, but nothing really sticks in my mind!
Xx

Hi guys new to this site i am 16 wks had my stich in and on bed rest feeling so alone atm have had to give up work aswell just wondered anybody fancy chatting and swapping tips as its a seem to be forever till i can actually get up lol thanks in advance n good luck guys ! Xxx

Hi, I'm often on here, I'm not on bed rest but am resting quite a bit and find it boring! So if you need any info or support. I found there was very little info after my stitch and google is a very scary place, too many horror stories!!

Found ya lol this is the second stich ive had but wen i had it before it was so different my cervix were already open this time x snd ibe also looked alot on googke n ur right to much diffr opnions aswell x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back