Catheter insertion does it hurt?

Moofa

Reaction score
Hi

Not sure what section to post this in.

I have to have a Catheter inserted for some tests on my bladder in a few months time (test takes 1.5 hours).

Does it hurt when being inserted?

I had the coil put in (removed now) and that flipping hurt!

Mx

It all depends on what type of catheter it is. I would imagine it is an internal catheter that is inserted into the .... ok well you can probably guess where. I have never had one put in but have been with plenty of people while they have had it done. I would say there is some mild uncomfortableness but like i said this is only going on other peopls reactions.

I wouldn't worry about it at the moment, it is still a long way off x x x

When I had a laparoscopy last Nov I had to have a catheter for about a week as my bladder didn't react too well to the general anaesthetic. I was fully awake with no anaesthetic when they inserted it and I can honestly say it didn't hurt at all - a slight stinging feeling for a split second, but then nothing. I was expecting it to hurt like mad, but was pleasantly surprised :D

Thanks guys that has really helped :hug:

I keep getting UTIs over the past 2 years so they want to fill my bladder and record if it empties itself properly then I might then have to have a laparoscopy.

I have to go 18th Dec, if I concieve in between do you think they would still do it?

Mx

Moofa said:
I keep getting UTIs over the past 2 years so they want to fill my bladder and record if it empties itself properly

I've had that test!

Catheter's can be uncomfortable if you're tense as the the urethra will contract like a muscle so stay relaxed. It's wierd but not painful.

Good Luck. :)

I had a catheter when I had a c-section with Macaulay and it did hurt :eek:

But that could have been more to do with the fact I had a 8lb 10oz baby inside me at the time :shock:

Hi Minxy

Ha ha thats my family nickname for me!

I don't remember it hurting when I had my c/section 5 yrs ago - when they put it in or took it out.

I'm sure you'll be fine - don't worry

I had a catheter put in twice when I had Aimee and once with Nathan and I can honestly say it didn't hurt at all. I did really scare me but I could feel it but there was definatly no pain.

Hi

When i was having my emergency section with Kiara it hurt worse then my contractions had to use the gas lol but with Kadyns section i barely felt it but i was more relaxed and less nervous .

Katrina

I had one when I had my son and didn't feel any pain at all.

I guess I have to have it done, but you have helped me feel less stressed about it

Mx :hug: :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back