• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Carol Thatcher a racist?

HappyAlice said:
That's my point, when I said I prefer to see us 'united' (as in British) rather than 2 seperate countries. Because if people start going down the road of Scotland v England, it would be very difficult for Scotland to be the place it is without England and all the money it gets from English taxpayers.
I just wish the UK was seen as one country with equal benefits for everyone rather than any one area benefiting from getting heavy subsidies.

Similarly, England wouldn't be the place it is without Scotland :D

Love shine a light and aw that :lol:

HappyAlice said:
SarahH said:
HappyAlice said:
SarahH said:
HappyAlice said:
It's a great place, and it wouldn't be as great if English tax payers money didn't make it so great, so instead of seeing Scotland and England as seperate, i prefer to see them as united. :)

WOW!!!!! You just think of all the tax that comes from the oil, fishing, farming which is all predominatly Scottish.

as I said i prefer to see us united, benefiting from each other :)

Well, it should be British tax payers, not English :think:

That's my point, when I said I prefer to see us 'united' (as in British) rather than 2 seperate countries. Because if people start going down the road of Scotland v England, it would be very difficult for Scotland to be the place it is without England and all the money it gets from English taxpayers.
I just wish the UK was seen as one country with equal benefits for everyone rather than any one area benefiting from getting heavy subsidies.

I'm sorry but I disagree with this HUGELY!! The UK gets billions upon billions of money from the oil indusrty, which is mainly scottish. Scottish wages are some of the highest in the country meaning more tax.

Lou said:
Misslarue said:
Lou said:
When we went to Scotland for new year it never even entered my head that some Scottish people hated English people :shock: I am shocked that some do to be honest, I thought we were all just Great Britain :( I know we have diferent laws, I found that out when we were gazzumped a few years back, but other than that and as far as people go I thought we were all one country. Please don't laugh at me :oops:

No we're not one united country. In 1997 devolution was granted to Scotland and North Ireland in the forms of their own parliament and assembly, respectively.
Wales also got an assembly while England was divided in 12 unelected regionally assemblies (london being the only elected one). These assemblies are operational and funded despite being unelected.

now I feel really thick :( But thanks for telling me. Still no reason to dislike eachother though hey! :)

EDIT - So sorry but what is Great Britain then? :think:

No I agree, I have family in Scotland and they are nothing but lovely welcoming people :D . We have a little bit of banter but no different to when I was in OZ and was constantly called a POM!

Great Britain does still exist, although for how long is questionable as due to devolution they are quite a few inconsistencies between the four nations.

Well I LOVED Scotland and Scottish people, we had a great time! :D

but sorry to say it is looking like Carol Thatcher is racist :x

:doh: at Carol Thatcher!

FWIW, I used to know a Scotsman who was completely anti-English. He didn't even live in Scotland (we lived in Berlin) and we were really good mates. He used in insist on slagging off the English to me, he seemed to forget I was one too! He was very passionate about Scottish history, and it's suffering at the hands of the English (think Braveheart) I used to just accept that's how he was, it was just his view.

On the other side, one of my dearest friends is from Edinburgh. I've visited him there many times and I've always had the warmest of welcomes. They are a lovely people, in my experience.

What I'm saying is, you always get the bad apples. It's about lack of education, or (as in Carol Thatcher and Prince Harry's case) elitism. Both are seemingly still rife.

SarahH said:
HappyAlice said:
SarahH said:
HappyAlice said:
SarahH said:
[quote="HappyAlice":250uifmg]

It's a great place, and it wouldn't be as great if English tax payers money didn't make it so great, so instead of seeing Scotland and England as seperate, i prefer to see them as united. :)

WOW!!!!! You just think of all the tax that comes from the oil, fishing, farming which is all predominatly Scottish.

as I said i prefer to see us united, benefiting from each other :)

Well, it should be British tax payers, not English :think:

I'm sorry but I disagree with this HUGELY!! The UK gets billions upon billions of money from the oil indusrty, which is mainly scottish. Scottish wages are some of the highest in the country meaning more tax.[/quote:250uifmg]

Scottish incomes are below the UK average so I'm not sure what you mean.
Anyway - the point I was making was we benefit from each other so we should be seen as united, not 2 seperate countries :)

lauramumof2 said:
I lurrrveeeeee everyone. Especially the Italians (men) :cheer:

Now with that, I have to agree!! :wink: :wink: heehee

sarafet said:
Meggiewoo said:
In Scotland it has become kind of the norm for us to 'hate' the english.

speak for yourself :|

I'm speaking about Scotland as a whole - I meant in a good-natured way for the majority (William Wallace FREEDOM sort of thing.) But there are racist bigots in Scotland as well as everywhere else.

Kim x x x x

:wave:

Hi...

Just came back from the cinema (went to see two romantic comedies in a row with my dear husband! 8) )

and this thread has become a scotland vs england debate, which is great because I'm learning! However :lol: I don't want to comment as I don't know anything about the issue! No need to pretend by quickly googleing/wikipediaing England vs Scotland then come back and write an essay on it :lol:

So I'll leave you to it, ladies! Might come back when the debate goes back to Carol and the golliwogs! :lol:

laetitia85 said:
Might come back when the debate goes back to Carol and the golliwogs! :lol:

that sounds like a book or something :rotfl:

laetitia85 said:
this thread has become a scotland vs england debate, which is great because I'm learning! However :lol: I don't want to comment as I don't know anything about the issue!

So I'll leave you to it, ladies! Might come back when the debate goes back to Carol and the golliwogs! :lol:

Sorry laetitia! Back on topic!

Laetitia did you see the updated link a few pages back? Seemed Carol's comment wasn't as innocent as we might have thought. She called him a frog too :shock:

:)

Lou said:
Laetitia did you see the updated link a few pages back? Seemed Carol's comment wasn't as innocent as we might have thought. She called him a frog too :shock:

:)

Yeah I saw it... She seems quite rude as a person. Who the hell does she think she is calling people names like that? :shock:
To be honest, now, more then ever before, I am conviced she meant it in a racist way because when I read the script/conversation, something just doesn't sit right with me :think: It was definately racist. And like I've said in a previous post, she might not be blatantly racist in everyday life, but comments like these sometimes hide an inner belief/feeling.

seeing what she said is shocking, and the fact she laughed and made a joke likening her to Prince Harry just shows her true feelings. I was a fan of hers but now think she's just plain ignorant and stupid. Am glad the BBC sacked her.

See in the news that the BNP are selling golliwogs in their gift shop - must be because they are such a treasured British toy.

Lou said:
pilkers said:
Sammystar said:
Sack all BBC presenters!!! They're all completely stupid!!

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Not all of us are!

What do you present then pilkers? :think:

Are you a star? :)

Nope I'm not a star. I mainly produce but occasionally tend to cover some presenting shifts. Nothing major :wink:

Lou said:
pilkers said:
Lou said:
pilkers said:
Sammystar said:
Sack all BBC presenters!!! They're all completely stupid!!

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Not all of us are!

What do you present then pilkers? :think:

Are you a star? :)

Nope I'm not a star. I mainly produce but occasionally tend to cover some presenting shifts. Nothing major :wink:

Oooo stop being modest :D

No seriously! It's nothing major!!!!!!!!!!! :rotfl: :rotfl: I do the boring bits of it all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnastasiaKh
Back