• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Carol Thatcher a racist?

These stories keep coming up from the BBC, 'overhead' remarks etc. Wonder if they needed a story now the weather is clearing up a bit :)

This thread could have gone in your new 'News & Current affairs' section :lol:

newmum said:
These stories keep coming up from the BBC, 'overhead' remarks etc. Wonder if they needed a story now the weather is clearing up a bit :)

This thread could have gone in your new 'News & Current affairs' section :lol:

I KNOW! :lol:

gollywog isn't a racist term- it's a toy! and YES, they are black :clap: :clap: :clap: It's PC gone mad that anything with the word black in is not PC. :roll: I'm pretty sure most black people couldn't give a flying fuck- at the end of the day it is only the colour of their skin; just like people will be compared to a carrot if they have ginger hair or an ompa lump if they have a bad spray tan!

someone said I looked like stephanie off lazy town the other day- I haven't insisted they be sacked and scrutinised by the media!

I think its a racist term, thats why it was banned. I also disagree jade, I think alot of black people would find being likened to a 'golliwog' extremely offensive!

Lou said:
I think its a racist term, thats why it was banned. I also disagree jade, I think alot of black people would find being likened to a 'golliwog' extremely offensive!

people made it a racist term. Look it up on wiki; until the 80's it was just a toy.

I'm with Jade on this one!! It is (or was) just a toy....always had been. PC is completely over the top... :? Big Ears from Noddy even got his name changed as it was over-offensive!!

I have many black and asian friends that would agree with this too!!

Edited, because I put in the wrong smiley! Ooops!

I was born in the 70's so I know its an old toy. I had one.

I think its racist and I know my black friends would find it racist too. I think she was wrong to say it but it was in private so not sure what I think about that :think:

I dunno, I love golliwogs, I had a few when I was younger and my Nana still collects them now cos she loves them! I've never understood why they are racist :doh:

Sweetcheeks24 said:
I dunno, I love golliwogs, I had a few when I was younger and my Nana still collects them now cos she loves them! I've never understood why they are racist :doh:

The term 'wog' is slang and offensive to black people.

It's not really in private when it's at work though, I don't reckon. Golliwog is racist and offensive and it's not an appropriate thing to say at work, to a colleague. If I heard someone at my work describing someone as a golliwog I'd report them too. Golliwog started out as a character in a childrens book about 100 years ago, but from soon after the books publication the term started to be used as a racist offensive insult towards black people. It doesn't matter how many dolls have been made, or how many appeared on marmalade, it's a term that has been used for decades as an insult and it's inappropriate and unacceptable to use it to describe people. I'm glad she's been sacked, serves her right.

niblet said:
It's not really in private when it's at work though, I don't reckon. Golliwog is racist and offensive and it's not an appropriate thing to say at work, to a colleague. If I heard someone at my work describing someone as a golliwog I'd report them too. Golliwog started out as a character in a childrens book about 100 years ago, but from soon after the books publication the term started to be used as a racist offensive insult towards black people. It doesn't matter how many dolls have been made, or how many appeared on marmalade, it's a term that has been used for decades as an insult and it's inappropriate and unacceptable to use it to describe people. I'm glad she's been sacked, serves her right.

I agree.

Bah, it is all getting abit blown out of proportion!

I have black friends that call themselves niggers... gennerally because they think they are like 'bad men' as in ghetto rude boys etc etc... So call eachother niggers etc. But I would never call a black person that because its not like the same, because im white.

Anyways, im waffling. Point being, most blacks arnt that offended, no different than calling me white trash - I wudnt be offended.

She is older, and you find some of the older generation are racist - I know my parents would prefur that I never took home a coloured person as a BF. But they arnt openly rude about different races.

CoreysMummy said:
Bah, it is all getting abit blown out of proportion!

I have black friends that call themselves niggers... gennerally because they think they are like 'bad men' as in ghetto rude boys etc etc... So call eachother niggers etc. But I would never call a black person that because its not like the same, because im white.

Anyways, im waffling. Point being, most blacks arnt that offended, no different than calling me white trash - I wudnt be offended.

She is older, and you find some of the older generation are racist - I know my parents would prefur that I never took home a coloured person as a BF. But they arnt openly rude about different races.

I'm shocked about the 'N' word thing! I won't even say that word :shock:

I don't think you can say things like 'most blacks' because you don't know. I would also be offended if someone called me white trash! :shock:

:roll: Lou are you trying to have an argument with someone today?

Lol, I was thinking the same Jade, but will keep my mouth shut.

Some people are more sencitive than others! Its of very little importance to me what someone else thinks of me.

You are VERY correct though, 'most blacks' is such a generalisation. I appologise. As I dont know most of them...

Honestly though, north london, its a word they use to refur to eachother, my black friends mean nothing by it when they call eachother names, I guess they got it from songs, when you hear rappers calling themselves stuff - I really dont know.

Lou said:
Sweetcheeks24 said:

The term 'wog' is slang and offensive to black people.

I've never heard that term being used in such a way :? in fact i've never heard it being referred to as 'wog', i've only ever known it as a doll and the name for the doll is golliwog. I will continue to like Golliwogs and not find them offensive. They're the cutest little dolls. They don't even remind me of black people anyway :doh: I had a beautiful black doll when I was growing up, she was the prettiest of all my dolls and my nana knitted her a gorgeous bright green dress to wear, I think I still have her somewhere :lol: Anyway thats off topic. My point is I don't see why golliwog could be classed as racist but thats because I would never use it to refer to a black person, to me it's the name of a little doll. I can understand people taking offence if it was used in a dergatory way :)

I laugh if someone calls me white trash... has happend on many occations! :lol:

I doubt very much a black person would laugh if you refered to them as looking like a golliwog.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnastasiaKh
Back