Care workers perspective needed

Robyner

Reaction score
Ive just started back to work at a nursing home, its just on their bank register and my aim is to work one shift a week and some weekends.
I worked for the organisation a few years ago and was there for years finshing in a managerial role in extra care housing.
I left the country for a few years but im now back with my dh and 2 year old daughter.

The place has changed dramatically as it has been completely refurbished and some rebuilt though a few members of staff are still there.

I am in a really nice position where i dont have to work, its a choice and i really wanted to enjoy it, as i love caring.

The problem ive found after just two shifts is how unfriendly it is, im gutted.
My first shift, i was completely ignored during report time, nobody introduced themselves and im not even sure they were expecting me. I just had to pick up names as i went along and this was the case through the whole shift in all the departments i encountered.
I was dreading my second shift and sure enough, diffrernt staff and no introductions. The two other carers that were sat with me in the duty room were having a shouting match and i sat feeling so awkward!
I ended up introducing myself to the nurse in charge as yet again i was being ignored and feeling like the elephant in the room, she didnt tell me her name, i had to ask at the end of report.
Then at lunchtime i was asking some advice about who was who when giving out dinners and got really snapped at.
Im a confident person and im not afraid of putting myself forward but even i got home and felt a bit rubbish.
Im wondering whether to try a different place but im scared its going to be as bad.
Am i being a princess and expecting too much? Is common courtesy and manners a thing of the past?
Does this kind of thing matter to everyone no matter their culture and background or is it not so important?
My friends have been fiercly protective and said just to leave, although some have said give it a few more shifts.
Ive worked through worse but it was my full time career and i had no choice, i do now.
Thoughts and perspectives appreciated.
Whats the care home like that you work in?
Would you have been horrified at this treatment or not surprised?

Last edited:
I don't work in a care home but I'm appalled with what you've experienced! I think when you work in an industry that provides care to vulnerable people it's imperative that you care about everyone around you including your team. If you don't consider the needs of your co-workers, how can you possibly consider the needs of your clients?!

I am inclined to agree with your friends and leave the place, there are far nicer places to work and I dont think anyone should have to work somewhere where they are uncomfortable and feel isolated. You can't give your best if you are unhappy with the environment imo.

I'm deputy manager at a care home and we pride ourselves on a friendly staffing team...any bitchiness is nipped in the bud. We're a friendly but approachable management team and treat our staff firmly but fairly.
And it shows in the standard of care...happy staff equals happy residents x

Thanks both of you for your input.
Im going to do the night shift that im booked for next week, as i could never let them down on an agreed shift, but if its as bad then i am regrttably going to have to leave. Im so sad about it, i know how much paperwork there is involved in employing new staff i feel bad.
The management are lovely, but havent been around in the mornings and i felt like i might come across as petty and negative if i mentioned it on my first shift.

It might be worth mentioning it to the management in case these are unfortunate isolated incidents?

Last edited:
You could be right.
As i mentioned in the first post, i worked there a few years ago for many years. I upheld a senoir position before moving onto to managment in a different place but for the same organistation, then left carework for a few years when i moved away.
one carer that remains from my time is particuarly snappy and unhelpful, she may just not be ok with me being back and word could have got round, i dont know.
She commented i inducted her when she first came. I was always chosen to induct and train as i pride myself on my warmth and friendliness as well as top standard working ethic. I would always encourage the same and wouldnt let anything slide if i saw anything less. Im hurt that she seems to be loving treating me badly.
The more i think about my next shift the more im hiping it wont go well so i dont go back :(

It does sound like it's gone a little down the drain since you first worked there. I do think it's still worth mentioning it to the management but perhaps do so when you nand in your resignation and cite it as your reason, which of course it is! It's a shame but if you are feeling that you want it to go badly so you can leave then it's not the workplace for you.

Has the woman that you originally inducted progressed within her role at all?
I think that you're see as a threat due to your previous senior role...I've seen it a lot over the years and have experienced it myself when I got promoted as I wasn't the obvious choice.
Remember that if someone's trying to bring you down its because your above them xx

no i dont think it seems like she has.
On interview i was asked if i would take on the role of training and working alonside new staff with the care standards as they said there was nobody who could or would do it. They used have a part time nurse that did it but she left.
I was so happy to be asked and i felt like it was a great way to back into work for the future.
I dont think its worth feeling like this though, not when ive got a choice and dont have to.

I would definitely speak to your manager...I'm guessing that they won't want you to leave if they've asked you to take on w training role. If it was at my workplace id be pulling the staff in for a supervision and threatening them with disciplinary xx

id be mortified if someone wrote this about the ward i work on.
We have lots of bank i also do bank on the side.

im feeling mixed up to be honest.
Up until this afternoon i was hoping my shift wasnt going to go well on Thursday night and my plan was to leave.
Im no quitter, ive never quit a job and stayed in jobs for years until circumstances changed but i dont want to be miserable, theyve just rung and left a message and scheduled me in to do some more night shifts.
Just once a week for a couple of weeks which is great as i can only commit to one shift a week day or night.
Im hoping the staff will be friendlier and more helpful. I will get to know my way around much quicker as i will be caring for the whole place not just a section like in the day.
My feeling is to only offer night shifts from now on if this goes well on thursday.
Im also considering re training in something else.
Thanks for your input ladies x

Last edited:
im feeling mixed up to be honest.
Up until this afternoon i was hoping my shift wasnt going to well well on Thursday night and my plan was to leave.
Im no quitter, ive never quit a job and stayed in jobs for years until circumstances changed but i dont want to be miserable, theyve just rung and left a message and scheduled me in to do some more night shifts.
Just once a week for a couple of weeks which is great as i can only commit to one shift a week day or night.
Im hoping the staff will be friendlier and more helpful. I will get to know my way around much quicker as i will be caring for the whole place not just a section like in the day.
My feeling is to only offer night shifts from now on if this goes well on thursday.
Im also considering re training in something else.
Thanks for your input ladies x

Hi Robyner.

I work in the NHS, at a cancer centre - Im the same as you atm. Ive been here 4 month and the people couldnt be any worse. The people are two faced, they leave you to your own devices, just down right nasty people that I have never came across before. I came from two big hospitals to this now one specialty hospital and its awful.

I love my job as in my day to day tasks, but the staff and management are god awful. The manager is a micromanager who says no unless it was her idea. So you can imagine. The pressure here is unbelievable.

In my experience, when things are this bad you can do one of 2 things, move. My fave thing to say is you are not a house, you can move where you like if you dont like a job/situ or let it go over your head. You could report it to the manager, which is the correct thing to do however, in my experience especially in health care managers only care about numbers and probably has 5 of her pals that work along side you and feeding everything back.

Hope you feel better soon, ignore the ignorant people and make the best of what you have.

xxx

Its shocking isnt it?
Especially for people in the care industry!
I see you are in scotland. Ive just moved from there back to england and ive been telling all my friends here that this would never have happened in scotland as the people up there are amazeballs :) im sorry you are having a bad time too.

My two previous hospitals were fab but I think thats because when your under such a big board and different directorates, one protocol has to suit all - so it doesnt end up your doing things that dont suit. For example Im a secretary but because here at the Beatson we fall under "health records" which means we are now being roped into doing basically more than the Medical Records Department. Plus keep up with typing and your other targets that you have. So many girls in my office have the "thats not my job attitude" and if I were a cancer patient and knew that this is how it is Id go mental. Doesnt matter who typed the letter - all the people are all petty and bitchy in here, patient care is suppoesed to be the heart of the NHS, sadly its overshaddowed by numbers, and managers in roles they have no clue about the roles that they are managing!

Can you tell I love my new job :p ? Where in Scotland did you work ?

xxxx

Last edited:
I didnt work in care while i lived in scotland.
I just found it so incredibly friendly and welcoming wherever i went.
I miss the people :)

Night shift is going well so far.
Really friendly , helpful staff. I'm so relieved! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back