Car seats for small 3yr old - please help!

SuffolkMum

Reaction score
My son is 3yrs and 4 months old, but rather on the short and small side at just 27lbs. He is in an extended rearfacing seat (Izi Combi X3 Isofix), but is expressing a lot of desire to to move to forward facing.

Trouble is, all the group 2 seats start at 15kg (33lbs) and it seems daft to invest in a group 1 which will need replacing when he reaches 18kg.

The seat he is currently in can be turned forward facing, but isn't rated as safe as when used in rearfacing mode. I'd really like him in the safest seat I can buy.

Does anyone have any thoughts, or should he just stay where he is until he reaches 15kg? Are there any good group 1/2/3 seats out there?

Since our LO outgrew his car seat he's been in a baby weavers car seat suitable up to 18kg (we weren't flush with cash when we were buying so this was our best option).. I had a Citroen c2 when he turned forward facing because his legs would have been restricted otherwise, now in a mini so he's remained forward facing.

I would just keep the one you have until he reaches the weight of a group 2 car seat. Save your pennies.. :)
Xxx

The seat he is currently in can be turned forward facing, but isn't rated as safe as when used in rearfacing mode. I'd really like him in the safest seat I can buy.

The reason it's not rated as safe when forward facing isn't because of the seat, it's because rear-facing is always safer in a head-on or rear-ending crash, which the majority of crashes are. If you turn him forward facing in this car seat which suits his size, he won't be any less safe than in another forward facing seat which has the same method of attaching it to the car.

Does anyone have any thoughts, or should he just stay where he is until he reaches 15kg? Are there any good group 1/2/3 seats out there?

Our daughter's small (she's almost 2, but only 10kg) and we have a 1/2/3 seat for this very reason. It is forward facing though. Britax Evolva. I'm very happy with it as she seems to fit really snuggly in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back