Car Seats - help!!

Redshoes

Reaction score
Isaac is practically 20lbs now and so we're looking into getting the next, forward facing car seat for him, but we haven't a clue where to start!!!
Also, on the car seats I've seen online, it states 20lbs=9months, Isaac's only 6months, what's that mean??
We're going to go in store and try him in some, but would love real mums real life opinions and experience too :D :hug:

We are wanting to get a car seat that grows with him too, and also does anywhere do pay-by-installments, as we aren't loaded but don't want to scrimp on the cost of something so important.

ANY help, opinions, greatly appreciated, thankyou :hug:

I think they have to be 20lb and 9 months old to go in a forward facing carseat. We are going to soon have the same problem... Jake is about 19lb :shock: so we are going to get him a 0-4 stage seat which is both rear and forward facing.

Let us know how it goes :hug:

Hi Amy! :wave:
The advice I had was that weight is just one factor in moving to a forward-facing car seat. Isaac also has to have been sitting up confidently without any support for at least 6 weeks.
We got a Britax Isofix one and it's great.
Lucyxxx

As Isaac is only 6 months old though he still needs to be rear facing so you will need to get a combination car seat that is rear facing but can then change to forward facing. I would advise anyone looking to buy a carseat to join WHICH online (£1 for 30 day trial)as they have crash tested loads of carseats and tell you the best and worst buys. Some of the carseats that I thought looked good have got really bad reviews. There arn't alot of combination carseats tested though so it might not be much good to you Redshoes. You don't have to join to read the carseat advice though so that might be worth doing.

http://www.which.co.uk/reports_and_camp ... _74191.jsp

Hi Amy, Don't know if this helps but this article from baby centre says most infant carriers are now tested to 29lbs. I know it is better for a baby to travel rear facing as this is more protective, have a read and see what you think. http://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/buying ... rdfacinge/ It is such a mine field, when I looked at the Which link I felt quite cross, why do people make seats that just plainly are not safe, and how can they be allowed to sell them?? Especially companies such as mamas and papas and chicco whom you know and trust :evil:

Thankyou so much for the link Gemma :hug: :hug: :hug:
It's so daunting, I just remember hearing at 20lb the car seat needs changing, so think I panicked a bit :shock: it's very, very, very scary that they can sell seats that clearly aren't 'as' safe EllieG :x parents are obviously going to spend their money buying them, so the least they can do is make a minimum safety mark which all seats have to adhere to :talkhand:

I think it'll be interesting researching on the net, then going in store to see what the staff say too, then having to physically 'try' Isaac in them, its quite a task, and there's always that thought of, 'this could save my child's life', very daunting indeed, good luck other Mummy's looking for their LO's seats, don't forget to post and tell us what you choose :hug:

Redshoes i wouldn't be worried about your sons weight. My friends son (who is only 17 weeks!) is 22lbs!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back