Car seat dilemma!

Belfast girl

Reaction score
I know that 2nd stage car seats are for babies that are 9kg and above but thinking about moving Emma in to hers now. She is just under 8kg (17lb).

My reasons for this is that I don't think her baby seat is safe anymore - she has worked out how to wriggle under the straps and stand up in it. Its ok if I sit in the back as I can pull her back down but if we are on our own we have to pull in and get her back down. Even if she isn't doing that she is straining at the straps to sit forward.

Based on her charts she isn't due to get her next seat for another 6 months but the one we ahve our eye on has a kind of bumper thing on the front which no-one could escape from and I think it might be safer?

Has anyone else had this issue? Thanks all.

I have no idea hun,.could you nip into somewhere like mothercare and apeak to someone? X

Is her next car seat a forward facing one? Babies really shouldn't be facing forward until they are one and are able to walk. Is she able to wriggle out because the straps are too loose? You should only just be able to fit one finger between the straps and her body. If she can loosen the straps herself, I would say the carseat is defective and would contact the company.

I was told that the weight of the child was more important than anything, because if they aren't heavy enough for the next car seat it increases their risk if there was an impact. I am surprised she can get out of the straps though?!

Im in the same situation, not so much the standing up but more the wrigging around and managing to get her arms out! Im getting her weighed on a monthly basis so i can put her in the front facing one!

Maybe try tightening the straps at the back? or try putting a cushion under her bum as she might be a little small? xx

Sorry, I'm a bit crazy when it comes to carseat safety, but it's extremely important not to put anything else such as cushions in the carseat. It completely compromises the safety of the child. Babies shouldn't even wear thick clothing in the carseat. Babies need to be the minimum weight required, and they should be able to walk as this is when their muscles are strong enough. Either the straps are not tight enough, or the seat is defective. Don't be afraid to pull the straps really snug.

I'd go to some where like mothercare or halfords for advice. she really shouldnt be able to get herself out. xxx

I would try mothercare or babies are us. You could get something like the britax first class which can stay rear facing till she is the correct weigh for forward facing x

we pull it quite snug. am not sure how she does it! and she is close to getting the buckle to open as well, she is just not strong enough. she might be light but she is very long so think she is pushing at the seat back with her legs which are all hunched up to get up and then getting a leg under her?

she only does this with her car seat and high chair, not her buggy or pram.

i'll nip down to mothercare and see what they say!

As above you dont want to be putting lo forward facing yet, have you looked at the seats from birth to 4 years I got one for lo they are great and will last.

Sent from my E15i using Tapatalk

I believe the shoulder straps should always be at or below the baby's shoulders by a little bit where they come out of the back of the carseat. Not sure if that helps, but if they are too high, it gives more room for the baby to wriggle. http://www.orbitbaby.com/en/articles/harness-safety/

Last edited:
QUOTE[we pull it quite snug. am not sure how she does it! and she is close to getting the buckle to open as well, she is just not strong enough. she might be light but she is very long so think she is pushing at the seat back with her legs which are all hunched up to get up and then getting a leg under her?

she only does this with her car seat and high chair, not her buggy or pram. ]QUOTE

jesus houdini in the making :)

? it is 1 of the most dangerous things u can do putting an under weight baby in a forward facing cars eat!!
How old is she! U also need to take into consideration if she can sit unaided for more than 20 mins? Can she hold her head very steady? These things and weight of 20lb should be reached first before u consider it!!
Are the straps on her little car seat sited properly! Are they coming from the back of the shoulders rather than near the ears? Maybe u should try and pull the straps tighter? Any carseat retailer would not sell u a stage 2 carseat if she doesn't weigh enough! If they do they are breaking the law! Although the law is not enforced!

Although the law is not enforced!

Slightly different but on Road Wars the other night, they stopped a family with a 3 week old baby sat on the mothers lap. They gave him a telling off and advised them to get a car seat and then let them drive off. I was shocked!

Slightly different but on Road Wars the other night, they stopped a family with a 3 week old baby sat on the mothers lap. They gave him a telling off and advised them to get a car seat and then let them drive off. I was shocked!

Wow! Here they inspect your carseat and make sure the baby is in it correctly before they let you leave the hospital.

Wow! Here they inspect your carseat and make sure the baby is in it correctly before they let you leave the hospital.

Im quite shocked by that - our info from t he hospital said we wouldnt be allowed out without an appropriate car seat. xxx

Im quite shocked by that - our info from t he hospital said we wouldnt be allowed out without an appropriate car seat. xxx

That's how I thought it was too but the police just let them go?!

I think you can get some straps, boots online do them, it reduces the amount of room so child can not wriggle out, I know they can be used on the bigger car seats but not sure about the little ones. We had the problem of lo being almost 18 months and still in hers, she looked soo uncomfortable, our council has a road safety department, they had a look and said because of her age and she was only 1kg under the weight for the next one then it was ok. You could try you local council office and see if they have a road safety officer, may be closer than going to mother care or halfords x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back