Calories when pregnant?

tinselcat

Reaction score
Hope everyone had a fab weekend!

Do you know if it's ok to keep on dieting while in the early stages of pregnancy?

I've been dieting for the last 2 months and just want to lose a few more pounds to bring my weight back down to healthy for my height.

When dieting I was eating roughly 1200 kcal per day (or that amount after exercise had been taken into consideration). I'm guessing that's a bit low now but does anybody have any knowledge about this?

xx

I too have been watching my calories and sticking to 1200 a day (I usually walk for an hour though so it add's 200 calories meaning most days I average 1400 calories)

I have gone to maintenance, which is 1480 and I'll carry on walking so most days I'll aim for 1700 calories.

I lost almost 20lbs last year [gained a bit back over crimbo] and was 8st 5lb when I last weighed myself..... I am not going to weigh myself any more though!

I've eaten a lot this weekend - even had a Chinese takeaway on Friday - but from tomorrow I am going to get back to taking my calories from the most healthy food sources. I won't deny myself anything I fancy BUT I am not going got eat for the sake of it!

I think if you have a pretty healthy diet already you'll be fine, but I'd def not stick to a proper low cal diet. 1200 cals is very low even at this stage - you need you energy hun !!!

xxxxxxx

Last edited:
Agree with Carnat, you'll find yourself sick with hunger. I had to graze through the day to keep the nausea away - spoilt myself with graze boxes which are healthy and nutritious. Try and fill up on fruit and veg so hopefully you can control your weight gain but we have to accept we are going to get bigger....but beautiful :) xxx

I think your doctor or midwife would recommend that throughout pregnancy you should maintain a healthy 2000 calories, which is the recommended amount for women. I'm actually quite shocked that people would consider dieting throughout pregnancy unless they had been recommended to do so by their gp.

I found that morning sickness was much much worse when I was hungry, and I was having to eat several small meals a day. I think it's really important that your baby gets everything it needs especially at this early stage when it needs to develop healthily. So many deficiencies are caused by lack of something or other, which can usually be easily resolved by a healthy balanced diet.

I would worry less about losing weight when you're pregnant, and more about providing your baby with everything it needs xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back