c-section question

piglets

Reaction score
If you have a planned c-section and supposing it all goes well can you go home the same day? Or do you always have to stay in for so long? Can you refuse to stay in?

I don't know for definate as I haven't had experience personally but a neighbour had to stay in for 3 days afterwards and that was with everything going well xx

Well thats that then, if offered a section i will refuse! No way am i staying in!

They won't let you home the same day hun, c-section is major surgery and there's risk of bursting the stitches, they have to catheterise you and then make sure your bladder works properly after they remove it etc. You can always discharge yourself but that would just be dangerous. Also I'm pretty sure they have the legal right to refuse to let baby go home if they think you would be unable to cope cos you've discharged yourself too early. As an adult you have the right to choose but baby doesn't and they have a duty of care.

They don't keep you in for any longer than they have to these days cos of the risk of infection, I was told it would be a very minimum of 48 hours xxxxxxxxx

They won't let you go, you need to be monitored. My hospital did let me go after 2 days though instead of 3 because it was nye.

TBH you wouldn't want to go straight away, it's major surgery. Although planned section recovery is supposed to be better than emergency, but it's very painful. You can't even lift your own baby at first coz of the pain :shock:

I just cant stay in because i have social anxiety, i would be really stressed. Obviously if i was unwell or baby was or something went wrong i know id have to but its really stressing me now to think of being with other people i dont know for days if theres no problem. I might not have to have a section anyway but im worried when i see the consultant that he will offere one if my baby keeps growing on the large size.

Our hospital do private rooms you can hire, they range in price from 50 quid a night to 200 quid a night depending on sharing bathrooms, size etc. Might be worth asking if your hospital does this just in case hunny

I'm dreading any kind of hospital stay cos I am the lucky one who also gets stuck in the bed next to the nutters or really loud people

Not really an option for me to hire a private room as we really dont have the money for it :0( id be ok if i could have my own room. Im not a snob i just dont mix well with people i dont know i feel constantly tense.

I stayed in for 48 hours and tbh was a godsend as all I had to do was press a buzzer for whatever I needed. The morphine seriously helped me too and you can only have it when admitted x

Not really an option for me to hire a private room as we really dont have the money for it :0( id be ok if i could have my own room. Im not a snob i just dont mix well with people i dont know i feel constantly tense.

Have you mentioned your anxiety to your consultant? It would be worth it as they could put you in a quieter room or even a side room. At our ante natal class the mw did say this is one of the best times of year to give birth cos it's very quiet so you might end up on your own anyway

I havent had chance to mention it to my consultant yet because this thurs will be the first time ive seen him!! They kept changing the appointments so im 35wks and just meeting him this week. They dont know if i have GD because baby was already 7lbs last week but apparently im too late to have my test now (got talked down to by the nurse last week because i had to cancel the appointment) so now im just worried what he will suggest if baby continues to grow as he has- he could be 10-11lbs by the time im due!!!

Well make sure he writes in your notes that you get anxious hun, it all counts towards your over all health. I remember your post about that nurse, I hope you will complain even if you wait til after the birth

Thanks hun, i will mention it- or hubby might because i will feel awkward meeting him this thurs- ive only just got used to my midwife!! I am on tablets for my anxiety so they will know im not just making a fuss for nothing and believe me i would be a lot worse if had stopped taking my tablets while pregnant (which is why me and my doctor decided it was best to keep taking them). Thanks for your reassurance xx

They won't let you home the same day hun, c-section is major surgery and there's risk of bursting the stitches, they have to catheterise you and then make sure your bladder works properly after they remove it etc. You can always discharge yourself but that would just be dangerous. Also I'm pretty sure they have the legal right to refuse to let baby go home if they think you would be unable to cope cos you've discharged yourself too early. As an adult you have the right to choose but baby doesn't and they have a duty of care.

They don't keep you in for any longer than they have to these days cos of the risk of infection, I was told it would be a very minimum of 48 hours xxxxxxxxx

just to add to this you also have to have injections as ur unable to move around and the injections minimise the chances of blood clots (DVT) and having a previous section myself its bad enough going home after 3 days as ur physically not able to do a lot never mind the same day!!

my hospital does have side rooms available to ladies of c-section with no charge, so worth asking about :) xx

Defo find a way to mention it to your consultant hun and also can you talk to your midwife about it?

Our hospital has private rooms also, but not sure if they are all hired out or some for general admissions?

Don't forget also that on a ward you can pull the curtains all the way round your bed for privacy. When i was in having my son most people in the bay I was in did this anyway, just having a baby most people are exhausted and not interested in being social anyways, just want to bond and spend private time with the newborn.

xxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back