Bringing Baby to sleep...

Loveleen

Reaction score
Dear All,

This might be a very stupid question but I thought I should ask your advice. My son is 1 month old and I have got my parents with me right now. They play with my son and also bring him to sleep every night by rocking him. Recently I have noticed that my son does not sleep until my dad rocks him to bed for atleast an hour. I am fearing he has got used to this habit as he does not sleep until then and my parents will leave in 2 weeks. How do you all bring ur babies to sleep.

The mid wife told me to feed the baby and leave him in cot to sleep but on trying that my son does not sleep and keeps crying. I have tried putting him in swing and bouncer but that does not help either as he starts screaming after 5 mins i put him down...Please advice...

Thanks

It's a hard one. It sounds like he has got into a little routine. My lo will only go to sleep in my bed, on my boob. I can't imagine him tolerating anything else.
Maybe over the next 2 weeks, try gradually taking over, like when he is just about to drop off, you take him so he falls asleep on you and bring the time forward each night. Thats all I can think of at the mo xx

hetbie just get swaddled and put in his basket I have done it since day one now his little eyes close as soon as he is wrapped up

my LO will go to sleep at night on his own but during the day he wants to fall asleep being cuddled and have to make sure he's really asleep before i put him down!!

Charleys exactly the same. He will only fall asleep in my arms so I've started control crying. It worked wonders with my daughter but I have to admit I've been doing it a week with charley so far and he's getting worse! He's settling quicker on his own but his crys getting worse. I really wanna pick him up but it means going back to him falling asleep on me again and I don't wanna do that!

Must be a boy thing... My 2 girls would settle in the cot no probs. Asleep by 7pm each night. Oscar .... No way. He does sleep til 8.30 every day so I'll forgive him lol x

I did swaddle after a few weeks which helped - but i have always done controlled crying from 6 weeks. Sarah still now cries for a few minutes occasionally but always nods off. She is fine in the day and i always put her in her cot awake and she never makes a fuss in fact she loves her cot and mobile and i always put something bright for her to look at x

My daughter will only go to sleep on the boob in our bed too :) She goes to sleep quicker if she's had a bath with bedtime bath in it.

It's about finding familiarality (spelling?) Our routine is bath, change, feed then bed. If she's still awake once she's been fed she sometimes goes to sleep on her own. If not she goes back on the boob. It'll take a while to any change in bedtime routines but keep at it :)

Thanks Ladies. I will try to be strong tonite. I kept him in cot yesterday and switched on his mobile. He was playing for 20 mins but then started screaming..:( It took me half an hr to bring him to sleep but I will try leaving him for a while to see what he does...

Hi
Owen always used to put himself to sleep when he was swaddled with a dumm in but then he outgrew swaddling and we had to rock and shush to sleep. He now sleeps on his tum and sleeps pretty well but needs rocking and shushing in the day for up to 10 minutes to go to sleep then will sleep in cot ok. At night he tends to fall asleep after feed. I am always worrying about how I think I should be putting him down awake!!! But I'm not sure I could do controlled crying! And he goes down pretty quick really...

People that mentioned doing that on this thread, how do you actually do it?? (sorry to sound thick!!!)

Good luck with your LO X

Minchin, it's easier for me to do it as he's my 2nd. Sounds heartless but when he cries it doesn't bother me! He's been settling alot sooner so I only resettle 2-3 times now but I do let him cry for 5-10mins before going to settle him. It took my daughter 3 days of controlled crying at 6months to learn how to settle herself but so far it's taken a week with my son but he's only 7 weeks old. I decided to start doing it as I found it hard to sort my daughter out when my son wanted attention.

thanks, so I could wait til 6 months to do controlled crying if wanted to go down that route?

And sorry for hijacking thread!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back