Breathing moniter

skatty

Reaction score
Does anyone know if its ok to put baby to sleep om their tummy if there is a breathing moniter? Leorah just can't settle on her back it causes her painful wind but during the day I have been putting her on her front but to the side with the moniter on and with me supervising and she sleeps so well! She's in my bed at the mo' at night but this means i am getting hardly any sleep but I don't know if its too risky letting her sleep on her front at night even with the moniter. Has anyone else had this problem?

Have you tried putting her to sleep on her side? I did this with Ellie for a while as she was the same. When I would go in later for her feeds she was always on her back, I think she rolled onto her back once she was comfortable to do so.

Yes she does prefer her side, I think I'll try it again, thanks Nicky :D

its still not recommended hun but Alex has been on his front since a few weeks old.

like Leorah he just wouldnt settle at all on his back and would sleep for 20 mins at a time :shock:

the first time we put him on his front he slept for about 2 hours bless him.

its up to you really hun. i know others are dead against it but its my opinion that some babies are just tummy babies and wont be happy any other way.

you need to feel comfortable with it though otherwise you'll just worry!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks Em, do you have a breathing alarm too? She really isn't happy on her back, I just don't know what to do :(

Yeah i think they are invaluable no matter how your babe sleeps.

it was a woryr to start with with but i was lucky as my sisters two girls were both tummy sleepers (and my sister is a senior nurse and well aware of all the advice etc) so that did make me feel better about it.

as i said only you can decide, personally i am glad i did it as is my sister but you need to weigh it all up with the advice given.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

My Mum is is also a maternity nurse and she said that most babies are more comfortable on their tummys. She put me and my 2 brothers to sleep on our tummys and we are ok but its still a worry isn't it? Leorah has really good control of her head and neck so I feel quite confident. I'll try her side and see if that's better but I think I'll put her for daytime naps on her tummy with the moniter on and me in the room. thanks for your advice :D

No probs hun! :)

i think their head control is very important - i would never have let alex do it if he hadnt been able to lift his head and turn it to the side.

i think i started the same doing it during naps when he was in the same room in his basket. once i saw how much better he settled i was sure it was right.

good luck!

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi

I think its really up to the parents judgement to be honest.
Kiara stayed on her back until she was able to roll on her tummy , but every baby has his or her own needs,
Katrina

After speaking to the doctors that said a lot of the time its best for parents to do what they feel is right for their baby I have put a pillow in Leorah's moses basket so she isn't flat and she now lies in there happily and falls to sleep for her naps :cheer: I also put her on her side and then sopmetimes she rolls onto her back, she is so much happier and so am I :)

She's still sleeping in bed with me but I'm not too worried about this for the next few weeks.

Thanks for all your advice :hug:

skatty,

I know a little girl who has always slept on her tummy. She started crawling at 7 months old and can nearly walk on her own at 10 months. apparently, sleeping on their tummy makes their muscles stronger. thomas always slept on his back and he does not crawl or cruise, he is soooooooooooooo lazy lol

Thanks for that Future mum! My HV said yesterday that she is very strong for her age with good head control and that for daytime naps when i am aroubd there is no problem putting her tummy down. The night is ok now she is in bed with me and propped with a pillow :)

My Mum also told me that babies developed skills quicker when they slept on their tummys but I guess taking a bit longer to develope is worth it when the stakes can be so high. What I find wierd is how the guidelines vary from country to country. Here in Denmark all babies have quilts and pillows which I was shocked at when I first came and then in the really hot weather all the kids are wearing long trousers and long sleeves and are running around sweaty with heat rashes :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zain mansoor
Back