Breathing in Labour

Bubalu

Reaction score
Yesterday, I had my antenatal class. It was so hot and stuffy in the room that I just wanted to be out as soon as possible so I wasn't really concentrating or asking the questions that I need answers to. Anyhow, I expected more advice on breathing through contractions as I really don't know anything about this. All the midwife did was very very basic yoga breathing. The sort of thing you do at yoga/pilates classes.....imagine yourself on a tropical beach....(hmmm that didn't help as I would have felt more comfortable in the arctic!). I thought that there were specific breathing techniques to use to stop pushing too early...like panting. Does anyone know anything about this?

i cant really give any advice, but all I can say is, when i had my daughter, i didnt have a clue on what to expect or was never given any advice. But when i was in labour the midwife told me what to do although it all seemed to come naturally really. They tell you when to pant at that time, and show you how to do it etc.

Hope this helps hun, try not ot worry too much :hug:

i was worrying about this too! im asthmatic and was getting worried about hyperventilating! lol :shhh:

the midwives on our course said not to worry about breathing, they said you wont hold your breath for the whole labour and just do what you want.

Sandi

I dodnt give breathing a seconds thought. I didnt puff or pant and wasnt told to either. It all comes very naturally. :D

As people may no Calum come very early and we hadnt been to any classes :? and for me the labour just seemed natural, some how i knew what to do, when to breath, move and make myself cumfy etc and i really didnt worry about anyone else around me (maybe that because i took my glasses off! :lol: ) and just got on with what i had to do.
I'm sure it will be the same for the rest of you to, try not to worry to much it all seemed really scary to me too but now i'm out the otherside it was not as bad as i thought :wink:
:hug: :hug: :hug:

I went to ante natal classes first time around but they never covered breathing techniques.

I do yoga though and I just followed the techniques I learnt there. Deep slow breaths. As others have said, the midwives will tell you when to pant etc...that's only at the pushing stage.

You will be amazed how your body will take over :D

Yup we were only shown the relaxation breathing with DS

TBH when your in labour you wont be worried about your breathing and it will come naturally. If the MW thinks you need to slow down pushing you will be told how to breath out to help.

Im asthmatic and at the time pregnancy had made my asthma quite bad, but in labour I didnt get wheezy once.

Miss.Monroe said:
i was worrying about this too! im asthmatic and was getting worried about hyperventilating! lol :shhh:

I'm asthmatic and I never panted once when pushing (or not as the case may be). It just seemed to happen naturally and I did what felt right. You shouldn't hyperventilate. I breathed in and out through the contractions just fine :)

I personally found breathing the most important prep for labour, as whilst in it it's the only thing I felt in control of whilst having contractions, and it is possible to practise your breathing techniques in prep to assist whilst in labour. But it is so true that you will naturally find a comfortable pattern to aid you through your contractions, but panting isn't really very useful in the early stages as its important to get air, which supplies oxygen and blood to your uterus and baby, down there, so long, deep, slow breaths are excellent, and you can practise them, I found my contractions just fine whilst in control of them with breathing through them, up to 7cm was easy, just went a bit askew when I had the drip administered :|

One very easy exercise you could do which will help is to breath in through your nose very slowly and for as long as you can, imagine it going way down into baby and your pelvis, then very slowly release it through your mouth. The aim is to get to as close to counting to 20 as possible, 20in 20out. Obviously only do what feels comfortable though! If you practise that for a good 5mins in a morning and 5mins at night, you should build up a good mementum for it and your body will find it easier whilst labouring. Very best wishes :hug: Also, tell people how you wish them to help you through your contractions, my MW's were busy saying I wasn't far or having them because I was so quiet :roll: and I just wanted quiet, no-one telling me to breath :lol: consider massage too, skin to skin touch, very relaxing in the early stages and will relax your breathing with it :)

Also cannot believe they never discussed breathing in an ante-natal class, that's wrong :roll:

I've only got one more antenatal class left now and they haven't covered breathing, I don't think they will. Which I thought was a bit odd as I would've thought that would be a more natural way to help in labour?

also I don't want a midwife telling me whilst i"m in labour how to breath I want to know now so that I can be left to it and try it by myself and let the MW get on with other stuff.

They aren't covering breathing in my classes either, which I'm quite glad about :D They did say that the best thing to do when having a contraction is to make sure you aren't tense anywhere i.e. neck or clenched fists as it will make the contractions hurt more. They said just to concentrate on breathing normally and making sure you aren't holding your breath - no special technique though.

The only time they will need you to stop pushing is after the head is out, they will need you to hold off pushing so they can check the cord isn't around the neck. They said the best way to stop you you from pushing is to get you to pant just because it takes your mind off the urge to push. The midwife said whatever midwife was in attendance would talk you through what they want you to do and that normally checking after the head is out takes only a second or two and then you can commence pushing.

She made it sound quite easy really :D

I practised my breathing just like redshoes posted and found it got me through my contractions. Even the m/w noticed on how controlled my breathing was as she commented on it. I would def say it made a difference xx

i was quite unprepared for labour really i hadnt practised any breathing techniques and knew nothing about them :oops:

the MWs told me to breathe deeply during contractions and i tried my best but i couldnt help myself from holding my breath when it really hurt- i suppose having learnt the techniques properly mightve helped me gain a little control!

but i found that during pushing i was doing the panting thing correctly- even tho i hadnt learned it! it just seemed to be the natural reaction to the burning stinging sensation of crowning. its wierd hearing yourself do stuff like youve seen on videos but u dont kno how to do but you just do deep down!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back