breastfeeding

bowmanzoo

Reaction score
Hi all

I am expecting baby in august and yes its early days but after having 3 children in the past I know that pregnancy flies by so why not start thinking about my options now :rotfl:

I tried breastfeeding and expressing for my daugter but this prooved impossible as she wasnt with me all the time so it turned highly impossible. I would like to breastfeed with this baby and there is no reason why he/she won't be with me at all times so i'm in a better chance for it. My main question at the moment is how do you know that baby has fed enough???

thanks for reading and answering

The short answer is that you don't know - you don't have a clue how much they are getting, but I don't see why it matters. Babies are designed to feed until they are full and you'll find that breastfed babies are naturally very good at regulating their feeds. They'll tell you when they are hungry or when they have had enough.

I get asked this question a lot, but I think as long as I am getting lots of wet and dirty nappies (mind you if the baby is breastfed, s/he may only poo once a week - that's fine!) and my DD is putting on weight, then I know she is baby is getting plenty. Breastfed babies tend to pile on weight at the beginning then even out (my DD started on the 75th centile and is now on the 25th) so may be reassured by that too (mind you they use formula fed centile graphs in my red book).

Please don't worry about amounts, just keep an eye on nappies and weight and you'll be fine.

Good luck with breastfeeding and congratuations on your pregnancy, you'll find lots of support for whatever way you choose to feed your baby here.

Valentine Xxx

Hi

Thanks for the information, I've not fully decided what i'm going to do yet but chances are i'll breastfeed even if it's for a short time as I want the best for my children. It's funny because when I first fell pregnant I was so adament that no I wasnt going to breastfeed and during labour I was going to have all pain relieve going and now i'm starting to bond with the baby i'm coming along the lines of no i'll breastfeed and I was another natural birth, yes it hurts like hell but its better for baby to go no pain relieve and I found I came round much quicker than I did when I had all pain relieve going with my boys. thanx again.

bowmanzoo said:
how do you know that baby has fed enough???
u dont really! it is one of the main concerns i had with BF tbh. the only thing i could do was compensate by offering her BF all the time, letting her feed until she dropped off and wouldnt go back on (in the early weeks this could go on 60 minutes + :shock: )

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back