Breastfeeding

adele88

Reaction score
So is this just as theory or does breastfeeding after birth actually make you lose weight????

mervs mum is ur person to ask hun i think.

But iv heard it is the best way. but im not personally gunna breastfeed

xxx

i ve just heard that as well couldn t tell you for def. i tried to breast feed the last time and he just wouldn t take to it at all. not sure i going to try it this time yet :)

Ive read that when breastfeeding your body uses an extra 500 calories per day. I suppose all the energy has to go into the milk so baby gets some for growing etc...

SO if you eat the same as usual but breastfeed then it would be like cutting 500 calories from your daily intake and you would lose weight. BUT Im guessing mother nature will make us feel more hungry when breastfeeding so we might end up eating those extra 500 calories and it wouldnt make a difference.

My mum said when you breast feed your womb contracts a bit so it tones up and gets back to prepregnancy size quicker, but I dont think thats losing weight, but helps the bump to disappear quick.

I havent actually breast fed myself yet so this is all just what ive gathered from stuff Ive read!

Yes it does, your body lays down fat especially for this purpose - breastfeeding was the ultimate gift I could give to Rosie even though my body would only supply it for 4 months. Will be doing it all again with this bubs too :)

sounds good then think i will have a go at breast feeding.

Does the baby always accept or can they refuse it if you know what i mean lol

they wont refuse i generally but some babies find it hard to latch on properly, but theres loads of support around so if you or baby struggling you need to ask for help quick. Sometimes if a baby is poorly or not gaining weight they like to measure how much they take so prefer you to use bottles but you can use a breast pump to express milk and baby still gets the goodness, but the bonding thing just wouldnt be the same that way.

I gained 3 stone last time and lost it all bar about 8lb (then fell pregnant again) and BFing definitely helped. I had a massive appetite and ate what ever I wanted and I dont do exercise....:blush:

I breastfed 100% for 3 months and stopped totally after 7 months and it def helped me to lose weight and keep it off....put a stone back on when i stopped breastfeeding...maybe should have stopped eating those extra 500 calories eh!!!

K xx

You've already been given most of the info I would have said by the other ladies so I'll just add that I breast fed all of mine and am still feeding Ellie. I was weighed by the practice nurse the other day and she said that my weight hasn't changed since last time she weighed me 5 years ago. I have been very lucky regarding my weight after the babies and my bump went down very quickly. When I fed I could feel everything tightening up so I'm sure that it does help with getting your figure back.

Just wanted to say that I b/f my DD for 4 months and I was back in my size 12 jeans 3 weeks after giving birth to a 10lb 9 baby. It does certinaly help you loose weight. I think that most babies get on ok with breatfeeding, its us mummies that might struggle with getting the latching on right and positioning etc. There is a lot of help out here. Speak to midwives before you leave hospital and make sure you've got the latch right before you go home. It took me and my daughter about 6 weeks to completely get the hang of it to the point where I wouldn't have to look when latching on. Everyone is different though, it's a thoroughly rewarding experience :)

ive breastfed all 4 of mine but didn't lose any weight, it was my own fault though, im always starving when i breastfeed so end up pigging out and putting on the weight, with this next baby im going to try my best not to put weight on though cause ive lost alot with my morning sickness so would like to stay like this xxxx

I've heard it burns awesome amounts of calories.

But if you have to use a breast pump, please don't do it in front of your partner. It ruins the appeal of boobies!! Especially those electric ones...

I've heard it burns awesome amounts of calories.

But if you have to use a breast pump, please don't do it in front of your partner. It ruins the appeal of boobies!! Especially those electric ones...

My hubby saw me pump during the 12 months I BFd our daughter and I promise you, my boobs still appeal to him.......maybe that's why I was knocked up again 9 months after she was born :lol:

I did see a really scary looking electrical one on my breastfeeding DVD, the woman had attached both boobs to the tubes and it looked like the things they put on cows udders, even I recoiled in horror!

pmsl

think am going to breastfeed but if i dont think its the best option for me to do can you just stop or do you need to wean the baby off it?

Last edited:
Ha ha loving the comments about the breast pumps, I think i was more terrified than my parnter when I tried to express using an electric pump and saw my nipple stretch to about 2 inches long in the tube, I nearly had a panic attack, thought it was going to get sucked right off!! tee hee. I really didnt get on with breast pumps at all but loved breast feeding. I lost 4 stone in 8 weeks (alot of it was water - honest!!) and put it down to breastfeeding as I was still stuffing my face for energy!! my LO wanted feeding every 2 hours day and night which I found exhausting so started combination feeding at about 3 months. Just giving him a bottle of formula at 11pm so that he would stay ful longer. That really worked for us. I think youve just got to read your baby and do whats right for both of you. Will definately be breast feeding this time x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back