breastfeeding - white nipple.. (tmi?)

leckershell

Reaction score
Sounds silly but does anyone else get, or has anyone else had this after breastfeeding? Sometimes it's only for a few minutes but other times it lasts long after he's stopped feeding off me. I read that it can be from poor latching on, but he's feeding off nipple shields so there shouldn't be any bad latching and he's eating perfectly fine and very quickly so he must be latched on ok.

It's so uncomfortable and sort of itchy... anyone know how to stop it happening? It's not so bad I'd give up feeding, but it's just not good! Thought I'd ask here before asking health visitor in case any of you guys know an easy answer!

michelle

It sounds like thrush. Does your baby have little white blobs inside his mouth aswell? If so I'd say almost definitely thrush. You'll have to get some cream prescribed to rub on your nipples if this is the case, and your lil'un will need medicine to clear it up.

I think I know what you mean - I have had this a few times and it's normally when Dyl has been on me for ages. I thought it was him sucking on me when he had finished eating and because there was no milk coming out it left the end of my nipple white. I don't know how long it stays like that for but will check next time, and I better mention it to HV on Tues too x

sounds like thrush. You'll need to both get treated because it can get quite painful.

:hug:

leckershell said:
Sounds silly but does anyone else get, or has anyone else had this after breastfeeding? Sometimes it's only for a few minutes but other times it lasts long after he's stopped feeding off me. I read that it can be from poor latching on, but he's feeding off nipple shields so there shouldn't be any bad latching and he's eating perfectly fine and very quickly so he must be latched on ok.

It's so uncomfortable and sort of itchy... anyone know how to stop it happening? It's not so bad I'd give up feeding, but it's just not good! Thought I'd ask here before asking health visitor in case any of you guys know an easy answer!

michelle
sounds like it may be a bit of thrush leckershell. Is your nipple shiney? and do you get pain inbetween feeds and when you start feeding?

budge said:
sounds like it may be a bit of thrush leckershell. Is your nipple shiney? and do you get pain inbetween feeds and when you start feeding?

Not shiny no, and it's only when he finishes feeding... :think:

have a look in LO mouth and see if its whitesh inside. like cottage cheese.

is it only after hes fed 4 aaaaaaaaaaaages?

iv noticed this occasionally, after a really really good, long feed. it disappears in seconds. its not thrush as doesnt hurt, itch, ooze or anything and her mouth is pink. its not so much white as see-thru, am i right?

I got ot now and then, unless you have breast pain or bbay has white in the mouth, there is no cause for concern :D

trixipaws said:
is it only after hes fed 4 aaaaaaaaaaaages?

iv noticed this occasionally, after a really really good, long feed. it disappears in seconds. its not thrush as doesnt hurt, itch, ooze or anything and her mouth is pink. its not so much white as see-thru, am i right?

Sort of yeah :)

late reply I know, but it's called white nipple and it's due to a lack of circulation in the area after the baby has fed.

Thrush is also when your nipple is white but it's actually white stuff on your nipple rather than your actual nipple turning white if that makes sense.

As the circulation returns it will go pink again. You only need to worry if it doesn't go back to pink, then it can be really painful and need attention.

K.xx

that's what I thought... I know I'm naughty but I haven't been to the doctor or asked anyone about it yet... still got it though... :oops:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back