Breastfeeding Support Thread

H everyone, I hope you are all having a lovely weekend.

Nicky I just wanted to say I hope all goes well with your first day back woking and that Ellie settles into nursery well and drinks her bottle. I didn't realise she is on solids as well so at least you know she wont be hungry and you can fill her up with milk in the mornings and evenings :)

Hi Everyone

Good luck on your first day back at work Nicky and I hope all goes ok with Ellie at nursery :D

Hope everyone is well and having a good weekend.

All is good here; Gabriella slept for 8 hours on Friday; which is a record for her. She only slept 6 last night but we are getting there.
She seems to be going through a hungry phase at the moment as well and is eating very regular in the evenings; probably getting topped up for her long nights sleep :pray:

The expressing is not going so well and I really need to find some time to do it; Skatty how do you find time???

Take care everyone and talk soon :hug:

I do it first thing in the morning after I have given Leorah her first feed and then usually just before bed, I am doing it now. I have found that being consistant has really helped my pumping. It is easier now Leorah will sit in her rocker chair, I usually put a Baby Einstein dvd on and do it while she watches. :)

Well done Gabriella! Isn't it clever the way babies tank themselves up to get through the night? If Leorah has a long activity time after her feed before her nap she also has a little grizzle to let me know she wants more food before she goes down. I reckon Gabriella will sleep through regulary now :)

I should make the time for the expressing really but I really really hate doing it and I put it off (I don't know why I hate it so much!!!).

Our bubba's are clever the way they tank themselves up.
Sounds like you are in more of a routine with Leorah now.

I can't believe Leorah is 3 months!!!! Isn't it just flying by? All I keep thinking is I will be back at work soon :( Must enjoy the time and not think about it!!!

Bye for now :hug:

I'm not keen on pumping either Tina I get abit bored.
I normally only pump for about 5-10 mins and thats only when I know I'm gonna be going out for the night/day so hubby can feed her.

Well lily's sleeping abit better now she sleeps from 7pm - 3 am and the agin till 6, I had her weighed and found out she has only gain about 6oz in for weeks so have got to give her more solids (HV thinks this might have been waking so much in the night).

she is also obviously BF'ing less now too and isn't as interested in it as she was, but never mind, as long as she's healthy thats all I care about.

xSuzx

Thanks for the support. I am doing short days at the mo. Yesterday went better than I hoped she only took 1.5oz for her morning feed but did take 3.5oz for her lunchtime one and I picked her up in time to give her her afternoon feed myself. I am going to talk to my boss about reducing my hours so that I can do 8:30 -3:30 at work with a 30min lunch break on 4 days a week at least until she is weaned more and not needing as much milk from me.

Good luck talking to your boss, let us know how it goes :)

My boss is happy (thankfully she is a mother of 4!!!) I will put the official request in next week. So that I don't get any issues with respect to my paid leave etc.

I'm glad that it went so well with your boss, how refreshing to to hear of one that understands and is willing to help.

xSuzx

Aw, that is fab Nicky. Glad you have an understanding boss.

xSuzx That is good that Lily is sleeping better. Good Luck with the solids.

Hope everyone is doing well. I am just about to express now as one of my boobies has become a bit engorged. Gabriella has been feeding so much in the evenings and sleeping longer at night; so this may be why but I will keep an eye on it. It's so painful at the moment and little lady kicked me in the boobie when I was drying her from her bath earlier. OUCH!

Take care all :hug:

She is settling in nicely to nursery. She gave one of the members of staff a lovely smile when she saw her this morning. Yesterday she took 3oz at both feeds there. Expressing off at 10:30 yesterday I got 6oz of but at 13:30 I struggled to get 3oz off. I have split this between 2 bottles so she has 4.5oz available in each bottle. For other people that express is this normal so get such different amounts off? Anybody have any tips for getting more off at lunch time? I found the same thing the day before as well.

Can I restart this thread?

Ok, I'm having issues today with breast feeding - Libby is being a bit funny about feeding from the boob - why I have no idea :roll:

She is really disinterested (if thats a word) and all day today whenever I put her to the boob to feed, she feeds for about 2-3mins, then arches her back, and fusses her head, pops off and fights when I try to latch her back on, then she whinges that she's hungry :wall: She's not been herself the last couple of days, and we're taking her to the docs tomorrow as she is very mucussy so maybe its cos she's feelin unwell?

So, its been a battle all day - I'm also a bit stressed but thats another story could this effect my milk? We are so tired, that DH is now feeding her formula - as she has been fighting sleep too and been really grumpy......we did our routine from 8pm and she has been awake and grizzly ever since, so she's resisting everything today - the little rebel.

I tried to express some milk to feed her from the bottle but could only get 2oz off.

I feel like I have failed her today

:(

At that stage 2oz is a good amount to get off. Don't worry about that. I believe stress and tiredness can affect your milk supply. Have you tried feeding your little one in a different position e.g Lieing down?

Hi Emmy

I've been meaning to make a brand new thread for this too with some of the info giving in here included in the first few posts just not been about much lately to get it done, but hopefully will very soon.

So sorry you having a rough time, I've had stages like this too it does sound like shes feeling alittle unwell.

Try not to worry too much about your milk supply as it should be quite easy to re-establish once she is back to normal, although she well proberly feed alot for the first few days like shes on a growth spurt but just go with it as she'll just be getting your supply back to normal.

2oz is a very good amount for any stage of breastfeeding, lily's 11 months and I can only get an oz off if I express (but I don't do it very often).

Like nicky said the stress and tiredness won't help, just try an stay relaxed (not easy I know :D ) try not to worry as it will sort itself out once she is feeling better.

xSuzx

When did you express the milk? I find that makes a huge difference. On the I am expressing for Ellie's feeds at lunch time (while at work so she isn't feeding at the same time) and I can get about 6-7oz's off then. However Ellie is quite a bit older AND when I was having trouble getting enough milk off during the day for Ellie I did try expressing some off in the evening to top it up and I could only get 0.5oz off!!! There was just nothing there it felt like. However in the morning there was loads.

Thanks for the replies :hug: :hug:

Well she eventually went down at 1am, she was still refusing boob (had refused formula too at first as well), but she took 2oz of formula at 12.30am, then slept through from 1am until 7am.

I then got up with her changed her nappy & she bf :D then went back to sleep. Going to take her to GP in a short while, as I just wanna be sure she's ok, she definitely wasn't herself last night. We called the hosp and they said to keep an eye on her & take her to GP today if worried. She has a little bit of heat rash too I've noticed, so maybe that was just stressing her out?

I expressed at 11pm, my 2oz were off my roght, my left wasn't giving anything. Sounds like thats nothing to be concerned about (phew) so thanks for the reassurance :hug:

Aww Suz, a new thread would be fan-dabby-dosey :D but don't rush it, time is prescious, I'll have a full read through this thread anyway later (if Libby sleeps for long enough to allow it :wink: )

Emmylou said:
Thanks for the replies :hug: :hug:

Well she eventually went down at 1am, she was still refusing boob (had refused formula too at first as well), but she took 2oz of formula at 12.30am, then slept through from 1am until 7am.

I then got up with her changed her nappy & she bf :D then went back to sleep. Going to take her to GP in a short while, as I just wanna be sure she's ok, she definitely wasn't herself last night. We called the hosp and they said to keep an eye on her & take her to GP today if worried. She has a little bit of heat rash too I've noticed, so maybe that was just stressing her out?

I expressed at 11pm, my 2oz were off my roght, my left wasn't giving anything. Sounds like thats nothing to be concerned about (phew) so thanks for the reassurance :hug:

Aww Suz, a new thread would be fan-dabby-dosey :D but don't rush it, time is prescious, I'll have a full read through this thread anyway later (if Libby sleeps for long enough to allow it :wink: )

Awww hun I am so sorry I just noticed this :hug:

Olivia went thru the exact same thing, she would get really angry, refuse the breast and I was so stressed and upset I didnt know what was wrong with her :( I also tried to give her formula as she wasnt having anything and I was so worried but she totaly refused it and got upset even more. I have spoke to a hv about this and apprently its very common for this to happen its just another hurdle to get over :D
Olivia did this 3 or 4 times, always in the evening for a week or so, I found giving her to OH to calm down for an hour and had a break for 5 and then try again. Once she calmed down she would then latch on and I would get a let down straight away, I found while she was being like that on the breast she would get even more upset if I didnt have a let down so having a break was something that really helped during that difficult stage.

I hope this helps :hug:

Thanks Tasha....that info is great to know! If she's plays up on the breast again I've had a chat with OH about it, and he'll take her for an hour for me :hug:
Good to know HV has said its a hurdle, I was getting worried she was telling me she didn't want to bf anymore (not that she'd really be able to recognise she has a choice :) )

:hug: :hug:

:hug: Not a problem hunny :hug:

I know what you mean I thought she was going off me too, but its just something that happens, and you will get over this hurdle :hug:

Hi Ladies,

Breastfeeding baby Holly, i only started feeding Friday morning at 8 am and my milk has come in overnight. She wasn't at all satisfied with my colostrum(sp?) and fed very often.

Now my milks come in shes a lot happier and doesn't need to be on as long or as often and my boobies feel as full when shes finished as when she starts.

How long is it before your breasts settle down?

Was advised by MW to express if they got too full, but would i just be making them make more milk?

Breastfed twice before,i just don't get this advice :think:

Also is this the best place to post stuff like this or is a separate thread better, i believe i'm a newby in here :dance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back